Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
My current setup is:
  • iPhone XR
  • 2017 MacBook Pro 15"
  • iPad mini 3
I'm looking at probably replacing the iPad mini 3 with an 11" iPad Pro to supplement my Mac. I am also very interested in getting the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro, but most of the reviews say it is mostly only necessary if you're looking at the iPad as a laptop replacement. I'm not interested in replacing my MacBook Pro, so do I really need a Magic Keyboard? Or should I go with a Smart Keyboard Folio?
I really want the trackpad. I'm concerned about the weight, but I'm sure it'll still feel much lighter than my Mac. Any suggestions?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I strongly believe that the best way to think of the Magic Keyboard is that it makes your iPad in to a laptop. If that’s what you want, then go for it, no hesitation.

But if you’re just looking for a case or a keyboard case, go for something else. It’s too expensive and heavy to think of it as a keyboard case IMO.

It will definitely be lighter than your 15” MacBook Pro, by a pretty decent amount and a massively smaller footprint with it being an 11”.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
The only downside I've found with mine is that several non-Apple apps. have not been updated to take advantage of the trackpad yet. I do like mine, but it is kind of a bummer to hit the wall so to speak as you are getting used to using a trackpad with apps. that don't support the MK's trackpad.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I have a Mini 5 and iPP 12.9". I think how you use your Mini vs a 11" iPP will vary completely. My Mini is a consumption device and my 12.9" is the first device I grab when I go out even though I have a MBP also.

The question you should be asking is how you want to use the 11".

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
My 11" iPad Pro with MK replaced my iPad Mini 5, but it definitely doesn't replace my MacBook Pro. It's still not there yet for my needs.

I’m not ready to go full iPad yet, as I use Adobe apps for day-to-day work, and Adobe isn’t even close to bringing all of their desktop apps to iPad. (I’m excited for Illustrator on iPad though.)
[automerge]1588367223[/automerge]
I have a Mini 5 and iPP 12.9". I think how you use your Mini vs a 11" iPP will vary completely. My Mini is a consumption device and my 12.9" is the first device I grab when I go out even though I have a MBP also.

The question you should be asking is how you want to use the 11".

It’ll definitely be used as a content consumption device, but I’m also envisioning using it for more fluid creative purposes than my Mac. The main reason I’m looking at an iPad Pro instead of an iPad or iPad Air is because of the USB-C port and the performance for multitasking. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to do tasks more fluidly in iPadOS. I’m also really looking forward to how iPadOS will evolve in the coming years, taking more use of the trackpad and sorting out the multitasking experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejin222

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
My current setup is as follows
iPhone XS
2018 iPad Pro 11" with Magic Keyboard and apple Pencil;
2016 MacBook Pro 13"
2014 21" iMac
iPad mini 4

I have had the Magic Keyboard for use with my iPad Pro since the beginning of May, and I absolutely LOVE it. I find that I am using the iPad more and I am looking forward to going back to work with just the iPad instead of having both the iPad and the keyboard. In my job as a supervisor, I use the iPad with the pencil to do checklists that are in PDF format, and then I would use the MacBook for doing things in Word and Excel. With the Magic Keyboard, it'll be a lot easier now to do it all on the iPad.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
I handed down my 11” iPad Pro (2018) to my girlfriend and took her 10.5” iPad Pro as my consumption device after picking up the 12.9” iPad Pro with MK. Each device have their own utility.

Reactions: longtom

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I finally decided: I got an 11” iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard, and I love it. I’m definitely don’t regret going with the Magic Keyboard over the SKF.

I have this setup and LOVE it! Of course, it’s my only “computing” device now, so the MK was a definite - I didn’t care for the way the Smart Keyboard Folio was when using my ipad with it attached, although in retrospect I suppose I could’ve pulled the iPad off like I do off the MK, but I didn’t.

I got a skin for the back of the iPP so that I can pull it off the MK and use it in my lap when I want to read or play a game or something. I love it!

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Do you use an Apple Pencil in your setup? With the new Scribble feature, I am tempted to buy a pencil as well.

I will give a review next week, once I have had time to stay up for 48 hrs playing with it. Ha.

I have the Logitech crayon - I did have the Apple Pencil with my previous 11” pro, and it’s great. The only thing is, we have SO many devices that can use 1st gen pencil that I decided to get the Logitech crayon so anyone could just pick it up and use it with their device. Since I’m not an artist, it works fine for me for notes and stuff.

PurpleIsAFruit

macrumors member
May 26, 2020
is the 11 inch MK big enough or does it feel a little cramped? If I was to get one I’d want to be able to be productive with it rather than getting frustrated it’s too small. I’m currently without a laptop and don’t really know what to do now Apple have made the announcement they’re moving over to ARM. It seems a little silly now to think about spending big money on an Intel MacBook which is why I’m wondering if I can get by with the 11 inch MK until the ARM MacBook releases. My usage is light-moderate but I always like a laptop as they’re great for productivity.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
is the 11 inch MK big enough or does it feel a little cramped? If I was to get one I’d want to be able to be productive with it rather than getting frustrated it’s too small. I’m currently without a laptop and don’t really know what to do now Apple have made the announcement they’re moving over to ARM. It seems a little silly now to think about spending big money on an Intel MacBook which is why I’m wondering if I can get by with the 11 inch MK until the ARM MacBook releases. My usage is light-moderate but I always like a laptop as they’re great for productivity.

I have no problems with it whatsoever, and don’t find it cramped at all, but I’m a pretty small person with small hands. I’d call it compact versus cramped, although I’m sure there are some that will disagree.

Reactions: PurpleIsAFruit

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Do you use a pencil case, or leave it attached to the iPad?

How well does Scribble work when inputting the web url field?

I sometimes use it while the iPad is on the Magic Keyboard, if that’s what you’re asking. Mostly I use it with the iPad detached, though.

EDIT: I think I better understand your question now. Yes, I attach the Pencil to the side of the iPad. While sometimes I’m worried it will fall off, it has yet to happen to me.

Scribble works surprisingly well in the URL field. I think it “knows” to look for things like periods, slashes, etc. when you’re typing there. Then again, Scribble works really well everywhere.
[automerge]1593183735[/automerge]

While it does take some getting used to at first, (as muscle memory for where to put your hands will fail you) the keyboard doesn’t feel too cramped. (And I have fairly large hands.) Apple kept the sizes of the keys about the same, and only shortened keys along the edges of the keyboard. Overall, it feels comfortable, the keys have good travel, and after a day or two of light use, you’ll be more than used to it.

Last edited:

PurpleIsAFruit

macrumors member
May 26, 2020
@ssledoux @Mr. Awesome Thanks for your replies. How do yo you find the keyboard in non-Apple apps, such as eBay or Amazon for example? Can you scroll and click with the trackpad, highlight text etc? I have this worry that I won’t be able to scroll or take advantage of having a trackpad on many of the iPad apps.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
@ssledoux @Mr. Awesome Thanks for your replies. How do yo you find the keyboard in non-Apple apps, such as eBay or Amazon for example? Can you scroll and click with the trackpad, highlight text etc? I have this worry that I won’t be able to scroll or take advantage of having a trackpad on many of the iPad apps.
You can do those things on eBay and other third party apps. The only time you would run into a problem is when using an older app that hasn’t been updated in a good while.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

I’m not a huge trackpad fan in general, and have never owned a device with one, so it’s completely new to me, and I’m sure I don’t use it nearly like those familiar with trackpads. That said I do use it for scrolling, switching between apps, things of that nature, and I’m starting to become more comfortable with it.

I honestly got the keyboard more because I just love the way it sits the pad up and gives me more options for angles, and also how it folds up for travel. Plus, it’s just so easy to remove the ipad to use caseless. I realize I paid a lot for those things, but the iPad is my only computing device now, and it was important to me for it to be as usable and versatile as possible. I have no regrets.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I strongly believe that the best way to think of the Magic Keyboard is that it makes your iPad in to a laptop. If that’s what you want, then go for it, no hesitation.

But if you’re just looking for a case or a keyboard case, go for something else. It’s too expensive and heavy to think of it as a keyboard case IMO.

It will definitely be lighter than your 15” MacBook Pro, by a pretty decent amount and a massively smaller footprint with it being an 11”.
Agreed if this is what you want go for MK. My ipad rarely if ever leaves my MK case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.