Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2021
Hi everyone,
I have been recently "gifted" an iPhone 7 from my mom who just upgraded to the iPhone SE 3. Reason for "quotes" is because there's a app that's required for one of my classes: it's "free" on iPhone (Although later I discovered there was a $28 CAD IAP), but it costs $25 CAD for the app on Android/Google Play. :rolleyes: (Blatant discrimination! /s) I was going to use my iPad for this app until I realized I could use my mom's old iPhone. Only issue is the battery is pretty much shot even with Airplane Mode on. Should I get the battery replaced given it's going to be used mostly like an iPod touch as my main phone is a Samsung Galaxy A53?

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Replacement battery wont come cheap IF still available. It becomes "vintage" around Sept.this year I believe.
Contact Apple ASAP.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Replacement battery wont come cheap IF still available. It becomes "vintage" around Sept.this year I believe.
Contact Apple ASAP.
Apple replaced the battery in my iPhone 6s+ in November 2021 for around $50 if I recall correctly. That was done in-store because they had the battery on-site.

As you mention, the 7 becomes vintage this year so I'd suggest to the OP that if they do wish to do this they act quickly. Once Apple stops supporting a device your only option becomes third party shops.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
Your software is out of date as far as I know. It’s more than likely not a secure device anymore. I wouldn’t sign into your Apple account on it. If you have some other purpose for it, sure, get the battery replaced. I would personally put it in a drawer with other things you no longer use.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Your software is out of date as far as I know. It’s more than likely not a secure device anymore. I wouldn’t sign into your Apple account on it. If you have some other purpose for it, sure, get the battery replaced. I would personally put it in a drawer with other things you no longer use.
iOS 15 is out of date?

My 6s+ is on 15.7.2, an update Apple released a few days ago. The 7, which OP has, can run iOS 15.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
iOS 15 is out of date?

My 6s+ is on 15.7.2, an update Apple released a few days ago. The 7, which OP has, can run iOS 15.
Sent in my 6s for its 2nd battery replacement in Oct/21. They were unsuccessful and sent a refurbished 6s to replace it. It went from "obsolete" in 2020 to "vintage" in 2022. Mine will not go much past iOS 15.7.2 I expect but battery still at 100%.
iPhone 12 mini now backup for new iPhone13 mini.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sent in my 6s for its 2nd battery replacement in Oct/21. They were unsuccessful and sent a refurbished 6s to replace it. It went from "obsolete" in 2020 to "vintage" in 2022. Mine will not go much past iOS 15.7.2 I expect but battery still at 100%.
iPhone 12 mini now backup for new iPhone13 mini.
I use my 6s+ when I go walking or when I expect there may be some risk to my 11 Pro Max, which is my primary phone. So far the battery on the 6s+ has done pretty well - but then it survived six years before hitting less than 80% on the previous battery. And I am using it far less now than I was back in 2021.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
… there's a app that's required for one of my classes. …I was going to use my iPad for this app until I realized I could use my mom's old iPhone. Only issue is the battery is pretty much shot even with Airplane Mode on. Should I get the battery replaced given it's going to be used mostly like an iPod touch as my main phone is a Samsung Galaxy A53?
It sounds like there’s an advantage to using the app on a phone instead of the iPad, so if you can keep the phone plugged in when you need to use the app, then I wouldn’t spend any more money on this device. Apple will recycle it for free when you no longer need it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No brainer at $65 for battery service replacement. If the device works for you and provides convenience, have it serviced. Every app continues to work on iOS 15.

Reactions: eyoungren

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
My main phone is an iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12. Should I set it on fire?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hi everyone,
I have been recently "gifted" an iPhone 7 from my mom who just upgraded to the iPhone SE 3. Reason for "quotes" is because there's a app that's required for one of my classes: it's "free" on iPhone (Although later I discovered there was a $28 CAD IAP), but it costs $25 CAD for the app on Android/Google Play. :rolleyes: (Blatant discrimination! /s) I was going to use my iPad for this app until I realized I could use my mom's old iPhone. Only issue is the battery is pretty much shot even with Airplane Mode on. Should I get the battery replaced given it's going to be used mostly like an iPod touch as my main phone is a Samsung Galaxy A53?

Honestly, I’d just buy the Android app if I were in your shoes.

Cheaper than an iPhone battery replacement and I expect your Galaxy A53 has way better battery life than an iPhone 7 (even after battery replacement).

du57in

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
I'm confused... It's 28 on iOS and 25 on Android, and you normally use an Android phone. Am I missing something?

Reactions: rui no onna

Apple$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2021
I'm confused... It's 28 on iOS and 25 on Android, and you normally use an Android phone. Am I missing something?
The app is free on iPhone but it has more advanced features for an additional $28-40. The Android app is $25 but it's equivalent to the free app on iOS. And the iOS app has way better ratings than the Android app. 3.8 stars vs 1.5 stars. It seems to me they may have put more effort in the iPhone app than the Android app.
Anyway, the teacher has lent us her iPhone or iPad to use the app as ponying up 30-40$ per student can be a bit pricy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.