Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShaunAFC3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
Hey everyone i am looking for a new phone because on Friday after college unfortunately I lost my Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone(it fell out of my jacket pocket while walking) and I tried to locate it with the Lookout Security app but was unsuccessful because I had the 4G mobile data and the locations switched off and when I went to the place where I think I dropped it someone has took it. :(:(

But luckily i have everything(photos and videos except for some things like my notes and game backups/progress saves which has been lost forever) backed up on to my Surface Pro 4 and I had a strong post code(and fingerprint) so the person who has it can't get in to my phone that easily and with in 30 minutes of losing my phone I called up EE(my mobile network)and I have got EE to wipe the phone now so everything has been deleted on the lost phone and anyone who has my phone number can't call or text to that phone(it is basically a dead phone now).

Yeah that unfortunately happened to me and i thought the Samsung Galaxy S6 was a great phone, I enjoyed using it most of the time. :D

So I am looking for a new smartphone and after searching online on EE I have found a awesome deal on the LG G6 for only 32.99 pounds a month on a contract and I think that is definitely a bargain comparing to 2017 Flagship/high end phones like the Galaxy Note 8(67.99 pounds a month), Samsung Galaxy S8+(47.99 pounds a month), and the Google Pixel XL(47.99 pounds a month).

I am on a budget and can't spend too much on a smartphone so I thought the LG G6 for 32.99 pounds a month is definitely the best option for me.

Even tho the LG G6 has the Snapdragon 821 and does not have the latest and greatest Snapdragon 835 processor that most 2017 flagship phones have and has only 4GB of RAM

Well me I am just a typical average smartphone user I will only use my phone for the basic things like calling,texting and some light web browsing, watching videos, playing games and take photos and videos(with the awesome cameras on the LG G6) and set it. So I won't need that extra power of the SD 835 and 6/8GB of RAM.

And the LG G6 still has the most of the features of the 2017 flagship/high end smartphones like the bezel-less edge to edge 18:9 display, water/dust resistant and awesome dual cameras and lots more and more importantly has a 3.5 mm headphone jack. :)

Plus I am looking to use my next smartphone for aleast 2 years before upgrading/switching to a different and better smartphone.

My 1st choice was the recently released One Plus 5T(my perfect smartphone) but unfortunately EE did not have the smartphone phone yet and the Pixel XL, Galaxy S8+ is a bit too expensive as I am on a budget.

So I think I am going to get the LG G6 and for 32.99 pounds a month for a 2017 flagship/high end smartphone which I think it is a bargain and definitely a awesome deal and you definitely can't go wrong with this one and I have seen the tech reviews and the user reviews and they say the LG G6 is one of the best smartphones of 2017!!!! :D

But I have some concerns about getting the LG G6 is that compared to my old phone the Samsung Galaxy S6 that OLED display which makes the colours pop and very saturated which I really really like especially playing games and watching videos and that the LG G6 has a IPS LCD display and based on the videos reviews comparing side by side with the Samsung Galaxy S8 the LG G display looks dull and plain and not that saturated and compared to the Samsung OLED technology in the Galaxy S8 and all so I am really worried that I won't be able to use the LG G6 in direct sunlight(outdoors) because with the Samsung Galaxy S6 I was able to use it under direct sunlight(with the brightness at a quite high level) with out any big problems.

So I have a quite a few questions to ask before I get the LG G6 smartphone:

1. Should I get the LG G6 smartphone?? Is the LG G6 a very good smartphone??

2. Should I get a different smartphone like the Samsung Galaxy S8+, Google Pixel 2 XL or the OnePlus 5T?? instead of the LG G6 even it is pretty much out of my price range.

3. Will I be able to use the LG G6 outdoors in direct sunlight?? even it is a IPS LCD display.

4. Is the LG G6's display very good or dull and plain?? And if I think the display is dull/plain Is there a display mode/setting that will make the display more saturated??

5. How is the battery life on the LG G6 smartphone?? Will I get 4/5 hours of screen on time on a full charge??

6. For those people who have(and had) the LG G6, What do you think about the G6?? Great?? Terrible??

Anyway if I do get the LG G6 smartphone comparing to my old and lost smartphone Samsung Galaxy S6 it will definitely be a big upgrade in everything haha!!!! :D:D

Thanks!!

Last edited:

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I’d say if you had an s6 then another Samsung device would be your best option. I’m not a fan of LG phones, there’s just something I’m not keen on. Have you considered maybe a galaxy S7? Is that in your price range? If I couldn’t afford an S8 I’d so S7 in a heartbeat! I had the S6 as my last phone and I do wish I held out at least 4-5 months and got he 7 lol

My next upgrade will hopefully be the S10!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’d say if you had an s6 then another Samsung device would be your best option. I’m not a fan of LG phones, there’s just something I’m not keen on. Have you considered maybe a galaxy S7? Is that in your price range? If I couldn’t afford an S8 I’d so S7 in a heartbeat! I had the S6 as my last phone and I do wish I held out at least 4-5 months and got he 7 lol

My next upgrade will hopefully be the S10!
I sort of second that vote for an S7. I’ve had some QC issues in which one I got was prone to overheating and turning itself on in my pocket and getting up to mischief, but the second unlocked one I got from Samsung was very nice. Despite being Glass it was tougher than I expected and did fine on two drops out of the VR Goggles onto hardwood floor. If you can find it on discount it’s a really nice phone despite being last year’s model.

I can’t say anything against an LG phone since I’ve never owned one and I did think the LG G6 seemed nice when it was released. I was tempted to get one myself. I’m just commenting on what the known quantity is for me.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I just went to ee website and the s7's are 47.99 per month :eek:

@ShaunAFC3 I'd go with last years Pixel XL which is the same per month as the G6, followed by the Nokia 8, followed by the P10

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Get an LG G5 at B&H unlocked for $230. Don't be stuck with contracts. Snapdragon 820 and 821 isn't that much different.

I would rather get V30 over G6 but if money is an issue, fly like a G6, like a G6...

I would check photo comparisons between iPhone X vs Pixel 2 XL from Krystal Lora and think screw them both. No wide-angle lens.

Wide-angle lens > Telephoto

Everyone from Dave 2D, Mr. Mobile, Android Authority, and Jonathan Morrison (Apple fanatic) say they prefer wide-angle lens the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.