Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmie48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Hi there.

I´m currently thinking about whether or not to get the new Mac. Like most people, I´m disappointed about both the price and the rather poor specs.

I´m currently using a 1.83 Ghz Mac Mini with Intel GMA950 graphics I bought back in early 2008 and I´m really reaching the end of the road now when it comes to video performance.

I´m using Eye-TV to watch HD TV via DVB-C and Elgato's Software H.264 decoder eats up to 95% of my CPU power when watching TV, preventing me from doing anything else in between. Youtube HD is also virtually impossible..

So basicly, my question is would the new Mac Mini and the new GPU help these problems in any way? I know Apple claims the graphics are much faster now but does that even affect H.264 decoding? And how faster is the new CPU exactly? I know its a 0.6 ghz difference but will even be noticeable?

Furthermore, I´m looking to install a SSD drive as I´ve heard that that brings a noticeable performance increase with application startup times and such. I just hope it's possible with the new Mini

I´m using my 27" screen for the Xbox 360 too so getting an iMac is no sensible option for me. I have to work with what Apple has given us now...I just hope the new Mini solves some of my problems, I would hate to spend 800 Euros on something that does not make a big difference.

Thanks for reading this and any advice :)

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Yes the 320M will help a lot. Hopefully the EyeTV can HW accelerate...

The .6ghz will help two since it's two cores at .6ghz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.