Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I have the LG950 27" 4k and mainly do photo editing. Looking for a nice upgrade. Is 4k the way to go? Or something like the Dell U4025QW?

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I have connected to my mac, one big TV that I use for most things and I can control with blutooth devices around the room. Under the TV, a smaller LED display for when I need to sit closer for better control.

LG OLED 55B9PLA 55"
Benq PD3200U 32"

I got the Benq a few years ago, and felt it gave me what I needed for photo editing. Very good colors. It is precalibrated and automatically installs a custom color profile. I was happy with that and a regular 50" TV just above it.

Then, last year I picked up the LG OLED second hand to replace the 50", for less than $600usd, and it's simply fantastic. I think mostly due to the pitch dark blacks, but it is great in every aspect. The blacks makes it leave the Benq in the dust, almost. I haven't tried calibration devices/software on it, so far it's been lots of manual calibration. I've made the two screens look very similar, and feel I can edit photos on the Benq and LG with equal confidence.

Good luck.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Ben wrote:
"Then, last year I picked up the LG OLED second hand to replace the 50", for less than $600usd, and it's simply fantastic. I think mostly due to the pitch dark blacks, but it is great in every aspect. The blacks makes it leave the Benq in the dust, almost."

Just wondering...
With OLED, do you get any "backlight bleed" in the corners (particularly the lower corners)?

Right now, OLED is still a little "too new".
There aren't yet enough entries into the computer display market.
Looks like another year or two before they start to get more common.

But I'm thinking they'll be even better than the "IPS-black" displays out now.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Nope. No "bleed". 100% uniform image from edge to edge.
The only image problem was some hardly noticable vertical banding when I got it, that was fixed with a built-in "pixel cleaning" function. It takes an hour appx. I haven't need to do it since, but I did a few months ago, and I felt it might have resulted in a bit "cleaner" image, but I'm not sure.
I've had it since june last year. I think it was then a couple of years old.

Yea, I don't really know what to expect in terms of longevity, I'll just enjoy it while I can.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Only go OLED if you're prepared to "ruin" other screen types for yourself

They are amazing

I've been looking at perhaps an S90C for my usages.

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
I have the LG950 27" 4k and mainly do photo editing. Looking for a nice upgrade. Is 4k the way to go? Or something like the Dell U4025QW?
My take in choosing a display, one needs to look at the problem that needs solving and research which display choices solve-or-help-solve those problems.

You're not very specific with your "photo editing" needs, i.e. no mention of whether this is for personal pleasure or professional needs, no mention of color space(s) you work in (e.g. sRGB, AdobeRGB, one of the new HDR formats), what are you outputting for (e.g. personal use, clients, web, print, etc.)...so, pretty much any recommendation could be made for you.

So I'm curious as to what you feel that Dell U4025QW "brings to the table" or solves for you?

Dell UltraSharp 40 Curved Thunderbolt™ Hub Monitor - U4025QW | Dell USA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.