Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Labland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2021
OK I have my old 6 x plus which has been AWESOME! I have new Bluetooth hearing aids that work with Apple only. The battery life is very short now Bluetooth is hooked up to my gearing aids. Time to bite the bullet!

I live in the sticks no 5G for a long time. I have Verizon.

In researching there are problems in both phones. No

What do all you users suggest? Why? Big jump for me after 6 + years!! Is the 12 (or 12 Pro) a waste of money?

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I’d say 12 (or 12 pro) because it will last just a little bit longer for you as it has a newer processor. Other than that I don’t think it’s going to matter for you. Either are going to be a significant upgrade after 6+ years

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
Are you buying outright or contract? Do you have a budget in mind?

Assuming you want a phone similar size to the 6S Plus and if money isn't a problem, I would go for the 12 or the 12 Pro/Pro Max - they're the newest, good battery life and the latest processors which should give you more longevity out of the device further down the line.

If you're more budget conscious, a new 11 is a little cheaper and will be fine for years too. I'd even take a look at the XR, which is still available new from Apple, has good battery life and is cheaper than the both the 11 and 12.

Reactions: Labland

Labland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2021
Thank you guys. Budget isn’t an issue. Buying outright. I am tempted to buy 12 because camera. I just started volunteering at our local zoo and expect to be taking pictures.

My biggest concern is reading green screen issues, service, Bluetooth problems with the 12. Where I live we do not have an Apple store. Closest is probably 3 hours away. We have a Simply Mac in town but is that sufficient? If I need service???

Size and weight sound like they may be a factor as well... going on 67 and pain in my thumbs and keep wondering if it is from the blasted phones!!

I understand that a software update it to be released on the 20th of this month. It would be nice to hear if that solves these issues!

also with just 4G can I select that option in the Tools of the 12??

xeux

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
12 has a significantly better modem (Qualcomm) and more ram. Go with the 12 pro if it’s in your budget. (Those two things will extend the life quite a bit IMO)

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
If budget isn't a factor always go for the newest model it will last you a bit longer and since you said you will be taking alot of pics the camera upgrades are worth it.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
I wouldn’t buy an 11 at all at this point. It’s exactly the same as the XR, so if you want to save money you might as well get that. The 12 is a huge upgrade from the 11 though so it would make the most sense to get the 12

Fixxtr

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
12 has a significantly better modem (Qualcomm) and more ram. Go with the 12 pro if it’s in your budget. (Those two things will extend the life quite a bit IMO)
iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 both has 4GB of RAM, iPhone 12 Pro has 6GB RAM.
I wouldn’t buy an 11 at all at this point. It’s exactly the same as the XR, so if you want to save money you might as well get that. The 12 is a huge upgrade from the 11 though so it would make the most sense to get the 12
Externally yes, XR and 11 same. But iPhone 11 has more similar internals with iPhone 12, not XR, like CPU&GPU power, RAM, battery life, cameras, chips, speakers, FaceID angles and everything.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
OK I have my old 6 x plus which has been AWESOME! I have new Bluetooth hearing aids that work with Apple only. The battery life is very short now Bluetooth is hooked up to my gearing aids. Time to bite the bullet!

I live in the sticks no 5G for a long time. I have Verizon.

In researching there are problems in both phones. No

What do all you users suggest? Why? Big jump for me after 6 + years!! Is the 12 (or 12 Pro) a waste of money?
Not much difference between them, but seeing as you keep your phones for long periods, I would suggest you get the 12 Pro, it has 6GB RAM, best to have the latest and greatest for more longevity.

If you go for 11 I would suggest 11 Pro Max for the ridiculously good battery life in that range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.