Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I would like to install a form of modern Linux on my 600mhz G3... preferably Debian 10.
Has anyone tried the new Debian 10 on a G3 yet? I imagine it won't be snappy, but is it slow to the point of being unusable?
The second thing is someone mentioned that installing any form of Linux (2014 and later) on the eMac is very difficult or not doable due too graphics issues with the CRT display. Will my iMac have the same issue as it also has a CRT?

Overall, (if it even works) is it even worth it to install it? It would be cool to have a brand new OS and Firefox 52 on this thing

EDIT: The Debian website is showing all iMac G3 models as supported under Debian but anyone get around the CRT/Graphic issue thing?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Overall, (if it even works) is it even worth it to install it? It would be cool to have a brand new OS and Firefox 52 on this thing

Ask yourself this, if you think TFF is too slow on a G3 what chance will FF 52 have on an even more demanding OS?

I put MintPPC on my G3 iMac in around 2012....and installed Tiger back the next day.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Ask yourself this, if you think TFF is too slow on a G3 what chance will FF 52 have on an even more demanding OS?

I put MintPPC on my G3 iMac in around 2012....and installed Tiger back the next day.

When compared against each other, TenFourFox has been shown to be significantly slower than FF 45.9 on Linux. It's not the version, it's that there's something wrong with TFF that makes specifically it extremely heavy and bloated.

@Appleuser201 Last time I checked, I think the iMac G3 worked OK, while there was something about the eMac's CRT that didn't work. If you think it's worth it, then just go for it. Tell us all about it so we know specifically how Debian 10 fares on an iMac G3. :)

Although Arctic Fox is heavily recommended over FF 52.9 on a 600mhz G3, just use a light desktop environment, or maybe even a window manager.

Tell us how it goes.

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
I know it's a whole different story but, I installed Debian 10 on a 1.6 ghz single core Acer netbook and it flies. I didn't upgrade the RAM (which is still 1GB) nor change the HDD. I think that it is worth a shot.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
When compared against each other, TenFourFox has been shown to be significantly slower than FF 45.9 on Linux. It's not the version, it's that there's something wrong with TFF that makes specifically it extremely heavy and bloated.

@Appleuser201 Last time I checked, I think the iMac G3 worked OK, while there was something about the eMac's CRT that didn't work. If you think it's worth it, then just go for it. Tell us all about it so we know specifically how Debian 10 fares on an iMac G3. :)

Although Arctic Fox is heavily recommended over FF 52.9 on a 600mhz G3, just use a light desktop environment, or maybe even a window manager.

Tell us how it goes.

What browsers will I get with the Debian 10 installation? (besides Arctic Fox and FF52)
After watching some Firefox PPC Linux videos, I don't think I'll be using FF52 as my main browser... just wanted an up to date browser

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
What browsers will I get with the Debian 10 installation? (besides Arctic Fox and FF52)
After watching some Firefox PPC Linux videos, I don't think I'll be using FF52 as my main browser... just wanted an up to date browser

SpiderWeb, NetSurf, and Links2, off the top of my head.

I particularly recommend NetSurf and Arctic Fox for your machine. Ultra lightweight.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
SpiderWeb, NetSurf, and Links2, off the top of my head.

I particularly recommend NetSurf and Arctic Fox for your machine. Ultra lightweight.
Are they up to current web standards and secure?
Particularly Arctic Fox... is it as current as TenFourFox?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Are they up to current web standards and secure?
Particularly Arctic Fox... is it as current as TenFourFox?

Arctic Fox is on par with TFF when it comes to web standards. Security-wise that's hard to say. Probably similar.

SpiderWeb on the other hand is built on current UXP code (52.9-60.9) used for Pale Moon 28. Meaning it's much newer, more compatible, and more secure.

Cheers

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Arctic Fox is on par with TFF when it comes to web standards. Security-wise that's hard to say. Probably similar.

SpiderWeb on the other hand is built on current UXP code (52.9-60.9) used for Pale Moon 28. Meaning it's much newer, more compatible, and more secure.

Cheers
So... more secure, up to date, but much faster and lighter? I've really been underestimating other browsers besides Firefox

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
If you expect to use a modern browser without enough ram, forget it. Unless you disable JavaScript, which makes more than half the Internet unusable.

Sites like quora or gmail use half a gigabite each!!

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
If you expect to use a modern browser without enough ram, forget it. Unless you disable JavaScript, which makes more than half the Internet unusable.

Sites like quora or gmail use half a gigabite each!!

I've been using Camino 2.1.2 on OS X 10.4, and NetSurf 3.8 on OpenBSD 6.5 on my Power Mac G3 w/ 512mb RAM, and browsing most websites are pretty tolerable.

Especially the lighterweight ones, like MacRumors, Macintosh Garden, LowEndMac, Wikipedia, MSN News, etc...

Just make sure you use a light browser (like the above) ...

Last edited:

Fcr-900

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2020
I've been using Camino 2.1.2 on OS X 10.4, and NetSurf 3.8 on OpenBSD 6.5 on my Power Mac G3 w/ 512mb RAM, and browsing most websites are pretty tolerable.

Especially the lighterweight ones, like MacRumors, Macintosh Garden, LowEndMac, Wikipedia, MSN News, etc...

Just make sure you use a light browser (like the above) ...
I just tried researching Linux for my eMac and Debian 10 doesn’t support ppc

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
I just tried researching Linux for my eMac and Debian 10 doesn’t support ppc
Not true, although it won’t be easy...
[automerge]1588666787[/automerge]
Note: in the post he refers to an old image. The new installer can be found here:
Booting USB is also different now, see installation instructions MintPPC.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
We were talking about Debian 10 here; will MintPPC work on an eMac out of the box?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.