Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Migrate Google Chrome from my old MacBook Pro to my new MacBook Pro?

• Total voters

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I just got a new MacBook Pro.

Should I delete Google Chrome on my old MacBook Pro before migrating to my new MacBook Pro?

Should I let Google Chrome "poison" my new pristine MacBook Pro.....or get rid of Google Chrome before migration?

Thoughts?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I had Chrome on my MacBook Pro for a long time for the occasional site that did not work well with Safari. Recently, it is very rare to run into a site that has trouble with Safari, so this is less an issue.

I've always been a little concerned about Google's privacy practices, but the end of the road for me was their recent changes to Chrome described in this article. So I completely deleted Chrome and installed Firefox for the rare cases where I need an alternate browser.

https://www.wired.com/story/google-chrome-login-privacy/

Reactions: jusacruiser

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I had Chrome on my MacBook Pro for a long time for the occasional site that did not work well with Safari. Recently, it is very rare to run into a site that has trouble with Safari, so this is less an issue.

I've always been a little concerned about Google's privacy practices, but the end of the road for me was their recent changes to Chrome described in this article. So I completely deleted Chrome and installed Firefox for the rare cases where I need an alternate browser.

Weaselboy....Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was going with my "gut" that I should not open the Google Chrome Pandora's box. I think I got rid of all of Google Chrome on my old MBP, and I hope it's not hiding somewhere. Many apps try to pretend they are gone.....and then come back to haunt you later. Thanks again.

Reactions: Weaselboy

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

Are there any other aspects, other than the privacy issue, of Firefox that you like vs Chrome? I currently use Chrome (not logged in) but wonder if Firefox might not offer additional benefits. I use Chrome mostly for when I run across a site that has a problem with Safari.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are there any other aspects, other than the privacy issue, of Firefox that you like vs Chrome? I currently use Chrome (not logged in) but wonder if Firefox might not offer additional benefits. I use Chrome mostly for when I run across a site that has a problem with Safari.
Firefox has a privacy setting to block all known trackers (tracking cookies) that I don't recall Chrome having. I do think Chrome has more "add-ons" or extensions available than Firefox does, but I was able to find everything I needed in Firefox.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I don't like Safari, so I've been a Firefox user for ages.
Never found any reason to change.
Chrome puts me in the Google garden, and I don't like their information collecting activities.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I'm going to go against the fray here - to me, Chrome is a tool to be used to one's advantage. I'm not worried about privacy with the ways and means that I use Chrome. I don't sign in, never have. An enterprising developer created epichrome - an SSB that works much in the same vein as Fluid but with the ability to utilize or take advantage of Chrome's Extensions.

With epichrome, I get to use SSB logins for sites that I favor - Weather Underground, this site, Feedly, myFICO, Google Play, TomTom Drive, Google Maps, etc., ad nauseam, et al. All have their separate logins, cookies, Extensions. All treated as separate apps, no ties to each other, no reporting back to Google (I use means to track this just to be sure). Brilliant.

If epichome didn't exist - but, it does - Chrome is extensible and can be exploited to serve my needs.

Google uses people to their advantage. I use Google Chrome to my advantage...

Reactions: iubhounds
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.