Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yanathin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Well, I've been waiting for the Intel Powerbooks to arrive until I finally buy a laptop. I've been waiting for exactly what was released: a 15" Intel Mac. The 12" XGA resolution doesn't cut it for me, and a 17" is waaay too expensive for me. But for some reason I have this gut feeling that in about a month I'll be regretting my purchase. Do you think Apple will release anything anytime soon that would be simply better than the 15.4" MacBook Pro, or do you see this as a machine that won't be replaced for a while (like the G4)? I mean, if they release a 12" MacBook Pro with a much better resolution, that might be what I want after all...

But here's what I think they're going to do:
15.4" and 17" MacBook Pro
12" and 15.4" MacBook (slightly slower specs without iSight and IR Sensor)

Ahhh I can't decide... two and a half grand is a lot to lay down on something that doesn't even have a battery life yet...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It was announced quite recently, I wouldn't worry about updates just yet. If it meets your needs, get it. Just remember that it won't be the latest and greatest forever though. :)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
This is exactly what annoys me. You waited, and waited, and waited. Apple released exactly (your word, not mine) what you wanted. But now you want to wait some more. While you are waiting forever to purchase a laptop, others will be (and many already are) enjoying their Macs. Every minute you don't own a new Mac is a minute of lost opportunity you don't get to use a new Mac. Purchase the damn thing already.

/rant

EDIT: Don't take this personally. It's more directed to the general public.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
buy it now. I'm waiting for a 12", but that's because even at its current resolution the 12" is better for me than the 15". But since we don't know IF a 12" is coming, much less WHEN, much less what the resolution will be, I think it's crazy not to buy the 15" if you'd be happy with that.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I think Grapes put it rather succinctly, but I'll go ahead and reinforce what he said.

I bought what I wanted (Powerbook G4) and I'm happy despite the new Macs that are out. Apple released what you wanted, so why wait? Get that Mac ordered and start enjoying it. It's no fun to perpetually wait for the next best thing. :D

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
Come on, do it! :D Enjoy having a Mac because of how good it is PERIOD, not how good it is relatively in, say, a year or 2 years. Relax, take a deep breath, and fork over the charge card.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think you might be a fool, but that depends on what you want. If you want a 15", then stop waiting and buy the bloody thing and don't bother us with this "It's exactly what I want but I won't buy it and I'll start my own thread not because I don't know what I want but because I want to hear myself talk" bullspit.

If you want the 12" or 13" that'll come out (and lets face it, a smaller Intel Mac notebook or two will come out eventually), then wait to get what you want rather than wasting your money on something you have no use for. The new 12" or 13" will definitely have a higher resolution than 1024 x 768. They would never give a 12"/13" MacBook Pro a screen with that resolution. It'll also be widescreen.

I'm waiting because I want a 12" or 13" widescreen. That's a good reason. But if I wanted a 15" Mac laptop with an Intel chip, I would have bought it by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.