Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siri's Daddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I normally power cycle my iPhone every week or two. Doing so requires me to enter my SIM unlock code. I have the code memorized.
It it worthwhile to use this security feature?
If my phone was stolen and powered off, I'll be unable to track it when powered on again.
I want to always be able to track my phone but a smart thief will turn it off.

Does anyone use this feature?

What are the benefits?

Are there any drawbacks to NOT using this feature?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I use the feature. If my phone got lost or stolen, I don’t want someone to be able to use the SIM. If I can’t immediately locate the missing phone using the “Phone Buddy” app, the phone is set to erase after 10 failed passcode attempts. My passcode is alphanumeric and 21 characters long. Either way, nobody will be gaining access to my phone or using my SIM in another phone.

Reactions: decafjava

Siri's Daddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I use the feature. If my phone got lost or stolen, I don’t want someone to be able to use the SIM. If I can’t immediately locate the missing phone using the “Phone Buddy” app, the phone is set to erase after 10 failed passcode attempts. My passcode is alphanumeric and 21 characters long. Either way, nobody will be gaining access to my phone or using my SIM in another phone.
That makes more sense to me.

This feature protects the SIM card.

IF a thief tried to use your SIM in another phone, couldn't you just call your carrier to deactivate it?

Reactions: one more

vault

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
It's a trade off, but someone having access to your number is potentially much more dangerous that simply being unable to recover the phone. Most online services do account recovery using (at least partially) phone numbers. Say, someone manages to recover your email account, they could have access to pretty much everything else.

Of course the situation is different for everyone: what accounts you use, how are they secured, who knows about them, etc.

I guess eSIM is the safest option.

Siri's Daddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
It's a trade off, but someone having access to your number is potentially much more dangerous that simply being unable to recover the phone. Most online services do account recovery using (at least partially) phone numbers. Say, someone manages to recover your email account, they could have access to pretty much everything else.

Of course the situation is different for everyone: what accounts you use, how are they secured, who knows about them, etc.

I guess eSIM is the safest option.
Holy crap!

I totally forgot about that!

Some people have 2 Factor authentication sent to their phones by SMS.

The thief would have to know a lot about you, but if you are high profile and a large target, you can be exploited in that fashion.

I have heard of people losing tons of bitcoin by having their SIMs virtually stolen and put into a phone.

Having physical access would be even more easy.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If the wrong SIM passcode is entered JUST ONCE, it will permanently disable the SIM card and a new one will have to be purchased.
Not worth that risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.