Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I know I’m asking this in iPhone forum. Have had the iPhone X for the past few months and while I’m loving it, disappointed with the camera especially on low light

Should I sell my phone while it’s still got some great value and buy a P20. Some of the reviews are quite good.

Anyone who tried Huawei’s new phone after using iPhone X??

t1328

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2017
If you want to switch to a phone based on the camera, I'd say based on seeing several reviews of the P20 rather than reading the DXOMark score, that the Pixel 2 or Pixel XL 2 still wins.

Reactions: Closingracer

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I know I’m asking this in iPhone forum. Have had the iPhone X for the past few months and while I’m loving it, disappointed with the camera especially on low light

Should I sell my phone while it’s still got some great value and buy a P20. Some of the reviews are quite good.

You live in the United States? If are on Verizon or sprint no. Even then no sure thing it will support all the bands for AT&T and T-Mobile either.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
If you want to switch to a phone based on the camera, I'd say based on seeing several reviews of the P20 rather than reading the DXOMark score, that the Pixel 2 or Pixel XL 2 still wins.
I don't really care about any benchmarks. As long as it's fast enough for me or good enough then it's all fine. The snapdragon 835 and the dual camera setup in the Note 8 is fine for me and the software is why I chose it over a Pixel 2 or any other Android phone.

t1328

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2017
I don't really care about any benchmarks. As long as it's fast enough for me or good enough then it's all fine. The snapdragon 835 and the dual camera setup in the Note 8 is fine for me and the software is why I chose it over a Pixel 2 or any other Android phone.
Right, I'm with you on that. I use an S9+. But the OP specifically called out his disappointment with the iPhone X camera. I don't think either of our phones, or for that matter the P20 would make a significant difference over the iPhone X. The Pixel on the other hand in my experience, would.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I've had both pixel 2 and XL..Great phones..but didnt like the look of them..So ended up selling them in a week or so.

Reactions: t1328

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

If you do let us know how good / bad it is. Looks like a great phone. ;)

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
from my experience on Android, let me tell you... specs and sensors are one thing. good software to go with it is another thing entirely. there are plenty of android phones with amazing sensors (even same as the X) and the software to go with it ruins it. not talking usability or whatever... i mean post-processing, over-aggressive color management or jpg compression, etc. dont just rely on DxO scores and the like. samsung, apple, even HTC have this on lock. many others rely on tricks and gimmicks to hide under-performing camera software

Reactions: 5105973

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Right, I'm with you on that. I use an S9+. But the OP specifically called out his disappointment with the iPhone X camera. I don't think either of our phones, or for that matter the P20 would make a significant difference over the iPhone X. The Pixel on the other hand in my experience, would.
Eh I actually would and did choose my note 8 over a Pixel 2 camera. Factually probably I'm wrong but I like the pictures better on the note 8.

t1328

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2017
Eh I actually would and did choose my note 8 over a Pixel 2 camera. Factually probably I'm wrong but I like the pictures better on the note 8.
Interesting. I also switched from the XL2 to the Note 8, and then to the S9+. But I still thought that the camera on the Pixel was better. I switched because I prefer numerous other things in the Sammy's. Oh well, none of these phones' cameras are exactly bad.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Interesting. I also switched from the XL2 to the Note 8, and then to the S9+. But I still thought that the camera on the Pixel was better. I switched because I prefer numerous other things in the Sammy's. Oh well, none of these phones' cameras are exactly bad.
Really a 9+? Don't get me wrong I like it but I want my pen. True though. At the end of the day though all these cameras are good and honestly I would go for software and hardware design over camera.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I do like the iphone X camera in good lighting. But when its dark, its quite bad. I've had all sorts of phones including pixel 2/XL. For low light and pictures in general, nothing beats my 4 yr old Lumia 950. Hands down the best mobile camera..I still have that phone in the drawer - all of my friends used to ask me to take pictures in parties..The Carl-Zeiss lens on that with triple LED flash is simply the best..

The reviews on P20/Pro specifically says the low light pictures is phenomenal..That's the only reason i'm even considering this.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

I have both a P20 and an X.

I can say with certainty that the P20 is a much better camera all round. Particularly in low light.
I've also had a Pixel 2.
For every day point and snap, the Pixel 2 wins. For the best photography, it's the P20.

t1328

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2017
I have both a P20 and an X.

I can say with certainty that the P20 is a much better camera all round. Particularly in low light.
I've also had a Pixel 2.
For every day point and snap, the Pixel 2 wins. For the best photography, it's the P20.
Good point about point and shoot. I haven't really used much pro mode in phones since my Lumia 1020, which was on another level. But what you say makes sense. If the OP is anything like me, he just gets bored quickly. I'm personally just trying hard to stick to a single phone for a year right now. None of these are perfect, but they're all good in different ways. For me, the best balance is the Note 8 or S9+. But I value a lot of Samsung's features outside of photography, like Samsung Pay, their beautiful screens, app pairs, etc.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
For me, once I got practiced on all of the cameras of all of my phones, I found I got the best low light shots with my S9+. The Pixel 2 is a good all-arounder, especially in situations that need excellent HDR processing.

However, steady hands are called for in all low light shots. It helps if you can get your subjects to hold still a few seconds, too. I’ve not found a phone camera anywhere that can take non blurry photos of happy kids in dimly lit restaurants or my pets zooming around in my kitchen in the evening. :rolleyes: I usually have to snap quite a few in sequence to get one that’s good in those conditions.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Sell your X. Considering you are able to think of jumping platforms easily, that means you are not tied/utilizing the Apple ecosystem much, so paying $1k for the X is probably not that useful.

Note that when you buy a Huawei phone, you're not just buying the spec, you're also buying into EMUI, Huawei's version of Android. While the likes of Samsung are starting to reduce their bloatware with each new version of their OS, Chinese OEMs are still filling up their phones with their version of everything.

If you buy an expensive phone just for the camera spec, I suggest spending the money on a good compact camera instead, like the Sony RX100.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Sell your X. Considering you are able to think of jumping platforms easily, that means you are not tied/utilizing the Apple ecosystem much, so paying $1k for the X is probably not that useful.

Note that when you buy a Huawei phone, you're not just buying the spec, you're also buying into EMUI, Huawei's version of Android. While the likes of Samsung are starting to reduce their bloatware with each new version of their OS, Chinese OEMs are still filling up their phones with their version of everything.

If you buy an expensive phone just for the camera spec, I suggest spending the money on a good compact camera instead, like the Sony RX100.

Yes. It’s true that I get bored easily with phones. ThI only phone I kept for a long time is the Lumia 950 and blackberry z30 (year plus)
I ended up selling my pixel 2 XL and bought iPhone X with little cash on top. I’m sure if I buy p20 it will be worth half of what I pay now in a few months. And I agree to EMUI and all the other junk it comes with.

Hence I’m sitting on the fence.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
The problem is the phone support after buying it US, the recent event forces Huawei to retrieve from the market. God forbids anything happen to the phone. Customer service sucks. It happen with Nexus 6P depends where you bought the phone from, if bought from Huawei you have to cough up with +100 dollars to fix the early shutdown battery problem, keep this in mind, never trust the company does not matter, how good it is. Just my 2 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.