Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Has anyone thought about doing this as well? I have a 1.5GB, 1.33ghz G4 12' ibook with 80 GB HD that is 11 months old with 32 battery load cycles. It works great right now, but I would really like a macbook. I figure if I want to maximize the amnount of money I can still get for it I should sell it asap. How much would I get for that kind of setup + accesories (second skins + imic)? I checked ebay and cl but people are asking for crazzzy prices like 750 or 800 dollars for STOCK systems without any bonuses! Can I expect to sell it for the same or maybe even slightly higher prices?

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
WillMak said:
Has anyone thought about doing this as well? I have a 1.5GB, 1.33ghz G4 12' ibook with 80 GB HD that is 11 months old with 32 battery load cycles. It works great right now, but I would really like a macbook. I figure if I want to maximize the amnount of money I can still get for it I should sell it asap. How much would I get for that kind of setup + accesories (second skins + imic)? I checked ebay and cl but people are asking for crazzzy prices like 750 or 800 dollars for STOCK systems without any bonuses! Can I expect to sell it for the same or maybe even slightly higher prices?

Sell It quickly since after 12 months the person cant buy applecare. the selling point should be possible Applecare.

$800 is insane! Are people asking that or getting that. I saw somebody asking $1000 for a Powerbook 12" 1.0ghz Craiglist is so funny.

I guess a sucker is born every second.

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2005
I sold a 12" iBook g4 1.33ghz 1GB 100HD about 4 months ago. For $1100. However long long before the Macbook launch.

I just took a look on eBay. It is not looking too good. You may have to take a big loss if you decide to get rid of it. However do it right now before it gets worse.

This should give you hope though... and it was only 3 days ago too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Apple-iBook-...8813741306QQcategoryZ4602QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2005
CA
Craigslist is absurd. I see the exact same systems up for months, asking for more than it would cost brand new. I don't get why people do that. Are they hoping for a sucker who has absolutely no idea what they're doing?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
damn kevin, that's a nice chunk of cash you got back. I'm not expecting anywhere near that. It would just be nice if I could at least get 750-800 for it since so many other ppl are asking for the same price but with stock systems. Do you reccomend selling on Ebay or craigs?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I bought a macbook to replace the ibook in my sig. Haven't sold the ibook yet. My gf is using my ibook for the time being, but I'll sell it soon.

I have no regrets whatsoever. The macbook is amazing compared to an ibook. Soooo much faster, amazingly better screen and keyboard, DVI out, front row (so cute), photobooth... it's really quite a great computer.

I'm not sure that prices will get any worse (at least until rev B macbooks come out). Right when something new comes out there is a rush of people selling old models which makes for a huge glut in the market. I think supply (of old ibooks) will go down while demand stays the same for the life of rev. A macbooks.

Whatever loss I have to take will be ok. The macbook is worth it. Truly.

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2005
WillMak said:
damn kevin, that's a nice chunk of cash you got back. I'm not expecting anywhere near that. It would just be nice if I could at least get 750-800 for it since so many other ppl are asking for the same price but with stock systems. Do you reccomend selling on Ebay or craigs?

I have never really used craigslist. I like eBay personally. I think you should be able to get what you are asking easily.

You have to ask yourself how you would want to list it. You can do it at a set price where you get exactly what you want. Or you could do auction style and see where it takes you, possibly higher than what you want.

I took the later route and no reserve, and made out pretty good. I think there will still be enough demand for ibooks so you shouldn't have a problem getting what you want out of it. COnsidering what you are offering, you should be able to go above $800 easliy.

As someone else said make sure you let them know they can extend the warranty on it. Good luck to you.

EDIT: Another thing. Try not to skimp on the auction, but don't overdo it either. Nice crisp bright pictures that showcase the computer in a few poses. And a Bundle shot. Keep the text to the clean and to the point describing as much as you can. I don't know if you are new to eBay or not, but I see too many sad auctions out there. I personally skimp them over. I have found that making nice auctions gets you a little extra cash.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Acehigh said:
Sell It quickly since after 12 months the person cant buy applecare. the selling point should be possible Applecare.

$800 is insane! Are people asking that or getting that. I saw somebody asking $1000 for a Powerbook 12" 1.0ghz Craiglist is so funny.

I guess a sucker is born every second.

What would you say a fair price is then? Just curious.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I also love the MB, but I am still deciding whether to sell my iBok 12" 1.33, 1GB RAM, 40GB HD. I got an offer for about $1000, which is still nearly $400 less than what I payed for it last October:eek: (all electronic equipment is a rip off in South Africa) Do you think its worth it? The 2Ghz white MB is nearly $2000 here!:eek:

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
MACDRIVE said:
It sounds to me like your iBook is very nice. I would hold on to it for a while until the quality comes up on the MacBooks. :)

But when? I have a hard time imagining the ibooks getting anything more than 400 dollars when the rev b macbook comes out.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
dextertangocci said:
Can you see this on the computer, or have you just been counting?:eek:

yea you can find it in your system profile or dl an app like coconut battery.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
dextertangocci said:
How long before the battery starts dying?

It varies, mine still has 97% of it's original charge ^_^. I know some people that still have 80% even after 300 charges!

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
I'm in the same position. I have a stock 12" ibook I purchased last July (right after the last revision was released) and plan on selling it to fund the purchase of a Macbook. I was planning on waiting until the release of OSX 10.5 to sell my ibook but I'm concerned that if I hold out I won't get much for it. I'm trying to decide if I should hold off or sell it now and pick up a Macbook now then upgrade. Also I was planning to throw in one of my ipods in with it. How much should that add to the sell price? I've checked ebay but don't see any ibook/ipod combo auctions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.