Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
My 2013 MacBook Air is dead, won't power on.

Apple have quoted me $475 for a "Flat Rate 2 Repair Charge" which includes labor.

Should I do it?

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
No way, sell it on eBay as is, and get another on eBay, awesome deals on both new and used Macbooks.

Reactions: rneglia

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Apple have quoted me $475 for a "Flat Rate 2 Repair Charge" which includes labor. Should I do it?
Did Apple not tell you what exactly needs to be replaced? For that amount it's likely not the MB. You need to find that out for sure, because knowing exactly what needs to be done may help you decide on a course of action.

For me personally, that amount for a 2013 MBA is right on the borderline between 'keeping' and 'replacing'. If the laptop when it was still working met your needs completely, I'd say fix it. If otoh you were already contemplating upgrading sometime in the not too far-off future, go that route and as suggested by others, sell the dead unit for parts.

Last edited:

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Did Apple not tell you what exactly needs to be replaced? For that amount it's likely not the MB. You need to find that out for sure, because knowing exactly what needs to be done may help you decide on a course of action.
I took it to an independent shop who said it's the logic board. Quoted me $650, so more expensive than Apple's quote.
[doublepost=1507322525][/doublepost]
For me personally, that amount for a 2013 MBA is right on the borderline between keeping and fixing. If the laptop when it was still working met your needs completely, I'd say fix it. If otoh you were already contemplating upgrading sometime in the not too far-off future, go that route and as suggested by others, sell the dead unit for parts.
Thanks for this advice. If I loved any of the new Macs, I'd go for that, but they seem junky.

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I took it to an independent shop who said it's the logic board. Quoted me $650, so more expensive than Apple's quote.
I question whether Apple will actually replace the logic board, incl labor, for $475, but if they confirm that to be the case, and you're otherwise happy with the unit, you can't possibly go wrong proceeding with that.

After all you get warranty on the repair.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
My 2013 MBP started having problems 4 months ago, and a few weeks ago just died. I took it to the local Apple Store, and they quoted $575 to fix, which I understood was some sort of fixed price. It seemed reasonable for me, as this was $3K when new. They ended up replacing logic board, 1TB SSD, and display. I am otherwise very happy with this system, and replacing it would have been a lot of money. So the fix-it price seemed worth it to me. It's a 90-day warranty.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Wow. 90-days seems like a short warranty for a $575 repair. If you can pay with MC or VISA, you may have additional consumer protections, FWIW.

Reactions: 0989383

Suspended
May 11, 2013
I question whether Apple will actually replace the logic board, incl labor, for $475, but if they confirm that to be the case, and you're otherwise happy with the unit, you can't possibly go wrong proceeding with that.

After all you get warranty on the repair.

Only 3 months from Apple though

Reactions: rneglia

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
What are the specs of your MBA? Does it have upgraded CPU/RAM/SSD options? If not, then you could probably find a used 2014/2015 MBA for not much more that still has a little bit of AppleCare remaining.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Just to follow up, i am typing to you on a repaired mid-2013 top of the line macbook air!

best $513 i ever spent!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Glad that you got it fixed and are happy with the results. I have a top of the line 2013 11" MBA and love it. But if (when) it breaks, I would not spend $500 to repair. I think I've gotten my money's worth out of this computer and it will be time to move on to something new when it dies.

But until that day comes, I'll continue to use it the same as always. :)

Reactions: madrich

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006

Glad that you got it fixed and are happy with the results. I have a top of the line 2013 11" MBA and love it. But if (when) it breaks, I would not spend $500 to repair. I think I've gotten my money's worth out of this computer and it will be time to move on to something new when it dies.

But until that day comes, I'll continue to use it the same as always. :)

Yes, $500 does seem high. I was prepared to write this MBA off and put the money I would have spent to repair it towards one of the new MacBooks or MacBook Pros. But I'm hearing so many complaints/issues with the keyboards on the new models that I want to get another two or three years out of this Air, while Apple sort out these problems in the new form factor.

I also checked out the used and refurbished market for MBAs. I think mine is in better shape than most of what I am seeing on eBay, and the refurbished models Apple sells are not marked down by much (still $1200 for top of the line).

Also, for $500, Apple replaced my logic board, display, RAM, and apparently the SSD. It seems like the only thing that's original is the aluminum shell and keyboard/trackpad. It's essentially all brand new internals. iFixit wanted $480 just for a new logic board, and I would have had to replace it myself.

I think Apple's rates and service are worth the price.

Thanks all!

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
I also think Apple's rates and service are worth the price. I had my early 2008 MBP repaired by Apple in 2013. they charged me $310 to replace the MotherBoard; including labor. I guess four years later inflation is more.

Item Number Description Price Amount Due
Flat Rate Repair Charge, PBG4/MBP15" $ 210.00
Labor Charge, PBG4/MBP15" $ 100.00
Total (Tax not included) $ 310.00

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just picked up a cheap liquid damaged Macbook Air for the ssd as I need an ssd to get another air into working condition.

$475 seems cheap. Was this price based on a flat rate repair fee? I'm in Canada and I can't find any information about flat rate fees anymore.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012

Apple have quoted me $475 for a "Flat Rate 2 Repair Charge" which includes labor.

Should I do it?

Best Buy will be selling the latest Air, 128GB for $799 on Black Friday. Sell some blood and get that instead. Just a few more bucks.

Edit: Just read that you got your Air repaired. Congrats!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.