Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Ok, this might sound stupid, but besides the aesthetics and gimmicks, what am I missing out on if I stick to Sierra on my MBP. The only reason I haven't updated so far is that I am afraid of my machine getting slower. Appreciate some feedback and/or advice...
Tnx!

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Personally, I do not see a compelling reason.

Of course, with High Sierra you get APFS file system which is meant to make your disk less prone to corruption.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How does the MacBook run now?
Does the speed please you?
Do all your apps run without problems?

Is there anything you DON'T have now that a newer OS could offer you?

My 2015 MacBook Pro seems fine with El Capitan, so "there it stays" for now.

One other thing:
Which MBP do you have?
What kind of drive is inside it?

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
How does the MacBook run now?
Does the speed please you?
Do all your apps run without problems?

Is there anything you DON'T have now that a newer OS could offer you?

My 2015 MacBook Pro seems fine with El Capitan, so "there it stays" for now.

One other thing:
Which MBP do you have?
What kind of drive is inside it?
I have the 2017 13" nTB MacBook Pro. The speed is fine. I'm just wondering if there is no risk involved in upgrading and getting the latest. Unless it will slow it down.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Low Sierra might be "all you need for now".

Having said that, I'll guess that both High Sierra and Mojave won't be "noticeably slower", as that MBP has a pretty-fast SSD inside.

If at some point you want to try something new, I recommend that you use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable cloned backup on an external drive BEFORE you upgrade.

If you take this advice, and if by some chance the upgrade DOESN'T work for you, having a bootable cloned backup makes it child's play to "get back to where you once belonged".

Without a cloned backup you can still "get back" -- but it WON'T be as easily done.

Reactions: Sebastian79

HappyInAustralia

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2019
Australia
One piece of advice, if you ever decide to upgrade to Mojave, make a full backup and BOOTABLE clone with Carbion Copy Cloner or something, it'll be the only easy way to roll back to a pre-Mojave system if you don't like it.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Come September/October 2019 you'll be missing out on security updates. Apple supports their current version plus two previous versions of macOS, and the release of 10.15 is going to effectively render 10.12 obsolete as in out of support, EOL, s*** outta luck. You get my point ;)

Reactions: Brian33

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I have the 2017 13" nTB MacBook Pro. The speed is fine. I'm just wondering if there is no risk involved in upgrading and getting the latest. Unless it will slow it down.
On a recent Mac like that, you shouldn't be worrying about slowdowns. Mojave runs fine even on Macs from 2012, or 2011 via the unsupported method.

I second the advice of other posters, create a backup first. Having a backup is always a good idea, not just when updating the OS.

Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.