Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Should I switch from Android to iPhone?

There's many advantages of going with the iPhone:

You get much better support from Apple than you would from an android manufacturer.

Jailbreaking/restoring is much easier for than flashing/rooting.

Apps are much nicer and better quality.

No fragmentation.

No malware.

Easier to sell as there's much greater demand for the iPhone than 1 in 100 different android phones.

It's up to you and what you really want.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Having made the switch myself, it's doubtful he'll regret it.
Based on your failure to refute any of this, you don't have much of an argument.

Both my parents switched from Android to the iPhone (at my insistence, because I thought it would be "easier" for them) and almost every time I talk to them they tell me they wish they were still on Android.

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
Based on your failure to refute any of this, you don't have much of an argument.

Both my parents switched from Android to the iPhone (at my insistence, because I thought it would be "easier" for them) and almost every time I talk to them they tell me they wish they were still on Android.

LOL! You're still going on and on about that thread? Seriously?

OK.

I said MOST phones. There are hundreds of phones over 6 months old not getting ICS and you can name only a handful. Thanks for proving my point. 1o% getting ICS = a small minority.

As ICS adaptation increases, apps will utilize features of ICS not in Gingerbread or older Android versions. Since they utilize features only ICS, they are, by default, either nerfed or unable to work with non-ICS phones.

Fragmentation is a problem, but you might be willing to accept it. It becomes more problematic as OS versions taked advantage of dual core, quad core and higher RAM hardware. This, again, leaves older phones out of the loop.

Many people don't want to have to Root to get what the manufacturer should be supplying. If you want to do that, fine. But the average user shouldn't have to.

I can have a two year old iPhone with the most recent iOS version without jailbreaking. Name one non-Nexus phone that is two years old and will get ICS without rooting. They don't even have the power to run ICS let alone the manufacturer or dev support to get it.

in MY OPINION, phones are geting too big. It's a choice thing. Since these forums are about opinions I included that in my post. I did qualify my statement by saying "I dislike". which demonstrates that it's an opinion.

I'm not talking about parts suppliers. I'm talking about the last two Nexus phones being from Samsung and the rampant rumours that the next one will be as well.

I have Samsung TV's and Blu-Ray players which I really like. I hate their phones though.

Putting a home replacement on top of Blur or Sense uses even more phone resources. Again, you're talking about rooting which is problematic for warrenty issues. Why should I have to void my warrenty to remove or turn off these skins? Neither Blur or Sense can't be turned off without rooting. They still use some resources even if a home replacement is used.

Having spent years on Android forums, battery life is the single biggest and most common complaint across all phones. Strapping a bigger battery on ala Razr Maxx isn't the answer. They need to cut down on power consumption.

Trying to compare available Android accessories to available iPhone accessories is a complete joke. The iOS ecosystem wins hands down.

You want to call Android better? Many others will disagree. There is no way it's better. Both OS' fill different needs for different people. You think it's better for you, I have no problem with that. But to say that it's better for everyone is comical. You don't know other people's needs so you have no idea what's better for them.

The things you list may make Android better for you but again, they don't make it better for everyone. Why do you have such an elitist attitude and insist that your choice of OS is better? I have listed my reasons for switching from Android to iOS after three years. I have never claimed iOS to be better or Android to be superior, because it's not. But neither is Android.

As for the comment about being a troll, when someone comes on to a forum about product "A" and claims that product "B" is superior, THAT is being a troll. Why anyone in their right mind comes to an iOS forum to bash it over Android (or Blackberry, Windows or whatever) makes no sense to me. What are you trying to prove by doing this?

Did you really think that bashing iOS over Android would not cause debates here? If you didn't think that then you're a fool. If you knew that then you're trolling. I'm leaning towards the latter since everyone here knows that this is a hot topic and you knew exactly what you were doing by bashing iOS.

I'm done on this topic. You have your opinion and I have mine. I have personal experience with both OS' and I have made my choice and given my reasons. if you don't like my reasons, fine. You're not going to change my mind and I could care less about changing yours. I think Samsung phones are crap, but again, that is MY OPINION. Nothing you can say or show my will change that so why would you want to try?

emacna1

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
I also believe that neither OS is "better." Everyone needs to find the one they like better.

I find it extremely annoying however, when people try to attribute Android shortcomings by comparing mid to low-grade Android phones to the iPhone. Yes obviously the iPhone 4S with iOS 5 is going to be better than an HTC Incredible on Android 2.3.4.

Compare the iPhone 4S to the Galaxy Nexus or Droid Razr Maxx and then point out shortcomings and I'll have no problem hearing you out.

emacna1

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
I loved my Incredible. It was an awesome phone. I regretted getting the Razr to replace it.

Yes the Incredible is an excellent phone, but it can't be compared with the iPhone 4S, you know? There are plenty of great mid to low-grade Android phones.

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
Yes the Incredible is an excellent phone, but it can't be compared with the iPhone 4S, you know? There are plenty of great mid to low-grade Android phones.

Oh I know that. When it came out it was a beast.

How old does a phone have to be before it can no longer be compared to an iPhone though? Let's face it, the GSIII will be in the same position as the Incredible in about a year.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Its up to you but things are a lot different in the iOS world. Try an iPhone in store before you buy, and if you do buy, try to exhaust what you would usually do fairly quickly so that you can take it back if its no good.

Simple things like plugging your phone in to your PC, mounting it as a drive and copying documents onto it are impossible. Things are done differently. You have to "sync" everything instead.

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
Simple things like plugging your phone in to your PC, mounting it as a drive and copying documents onto it are impossible. Things are done differently. You have to "sync" everything instead.

What I did with Android and I do with the iPhone is just use Dropbox or similar service. There just aren't that many documents that I have to have on my phone that Dropbox can't handle. The other way is to simply e-mail it to yourself. IMO both of these methods are easier than hooking up my phone to my PC.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
If you are so Pro Android why do you find yourself spending your time trolling on an iPhone forum. Hate it so much? Go have fun in your android forums and be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
If you are so Pro Android why do you find yourself spending your time trolling on an iPhone forum. Hate it so much? Go have fun in your android forums and be happy.

That's usually the case. It's the same on other forums. They come in, and slam Apple, and make the typical iSheep, or CrApple comments. Boils down to jealousy, or the need to justify their purchase.

You should see the posts on Engadget. I've stopped visiting all together.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
That's usually the case. It's the same on other forums. They come in, and slam Apple, and make the typical iSheep, or CrApple comments. Boils down to jealousy, or the need to justify their purchase.

I was done with engadget when joshua topolsky, nilay patel and paul miller left. Engadget hasn't been the same. The Verge is where it's at

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012

I can't understand why people want to do that. It's actually childish and demonstrates ones insecurity. They feel the need to justify their purchase and prove to everyone that their choice of a phone is the "right" one.

That's the only reasonable explanation for this type of behavior. If this isn't the right explanation, I'd like to hear the reasoning behind why someone who doesn't own an iPhone or other Apple product and has no interest in owning one, would come to a site like this and trash it. It makes no sense at all.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
What I did with Android and I do with the iPhone is just use Dropbox or similar service. There just aren't that many documents that I have to have on my phone that Dropbox can't handle. The other way is to simply e-mail it to yourself. IMO both of these methods are easier than hooking up my phone to my PC.

And if you have no internet connection? :p

I still prefer the mounting method; I just copy and paste into a folder of my choice on the device.

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
And if you have no internet connection? :p

I still prefer the mounting method; I just copy and paste into a folder of my choice on the device.

I suppose there are people out there with no home internet. If that's the case then your method is the only way. For most people though using something like Dropbox works just fine.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I suppose there are people out there with no home internet. If that's the case then your method is the only way. For most people though using something like Dropbox works just fine.

It works fine, it just seems strange to involve a third party service for such a simple task. Drop box is for the documents I want to be available everywhere. Sometimes I just want something on one device.

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
It works fine, it just seems strange to involve a third party service for such a simple task. Drop box is for the documents I want to be available everywhere. Sometimes I just want something on one device.

I guess it's a matter of convenience. I can simply drag the document to the dropbox folder and it's available where I need it. But you're right, connecting a device via USB to a computer works just fine too.

FYI, you can actually have a document in Dropbox but on only one of your devices it you wish. But I'm sure as a Dropbox user you were aware of that.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You'll be happy with certain things and disappointed with other things. I was, I found that you usually prefer what you started on. The main reason I use an iPhone 4S is because my employer pays for it and the service. In the end I prefer the $$.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Since you've been with android for a long time, it may be a great experience switching up to something new. I've had iPhones for 4 years but was getting a little bored with my iPhone four so I recently bought a GS3. Excellent phone, and my first experience with Android. I completely respect iPhones, but I fancied a change of scenery. If you love technology like me and trying out new things, then give it a whirl. There are stern cold-blooded people that will be 100% supportive of one or the other, but for me it's about different experiences with equally great technology in their own rights.

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
Since you've been with android for a long time, it may be a great experience switching up to something new. I've had iPhones for 4 years but was getting a little bored with my iPhone four so I recently bought a GS3. Excellent phone, and my first experience with Android. I completely respect iPhones, but I fancied a change of scenery. If you love technology like me and trying out new things, then give it a whirl. There are stern cold-blooded people that will be 100% supportive of one or the other, but for me it's about different experiences with equally great technology in their own rights.

Well said.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I guess it's a matter of convenience. I can simply drag the document to the dropbox folder and it's available where I need it. But you're right, connecting a device via USB to a computer works just fine too.

FYI, you can actually have a document in Dropbox but on only one of your devices it you wish. But I'm sure as a Dropbox user you were aware of that.

I wasn't aware of that :p whenever I upload anything to Dropbox it automatically appears on my Windows pc in the dropbox folder. Is there a way to stop it doing that?

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Just keep both and enjoy either. Or whatever you like. It is a phone, a tool and entertainment device, nothing more. No need to "convert" since there are no religions involved here.....

Just a chunk of matter and some 1s and 0s.....

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
I wasn't aware of that :p whenever I upload anything to Dropbox it automatically appears on my Windows pc in the dropbox folder. Is there a way to stop it doing that?

It doesn't actually download, it just shows in Dropbox. I BELIEVE that you actually have to click on it to download. At least that's how it works on mobile devices. It may behave differently on PC's. I'm going to experiment and make sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.