Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinnibrg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
I have a Late 2011 MacBook Pro that is currently running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. I was wondering whether update the mac to High Sierra is a good idea in terms of performance. Actually my mac is very performing, considering the age and the fact that it is not the most recent model. Last year I changed the HDD with SSD and this boosted the performance.

The full Specs of my mac are listed below:

- MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

- 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5

- 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

- Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

- SSD 240 GB SATA, 75% free

I know that High Sierra is suitable for the more recent SSD Mac.
Considering that I prefer to have a computer as fast as possible, is it convenient to update or this would lead to a sharp decrease in performance?
Is there anyone that updated the same model successfully?

Thanks.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Many, Many threads on this very subject. Some say YES (like me), others say NO! It's really up to you. I have had no issues.

However, what model is your SSD? OWC's SSD does not work with HS. This is not Apple's fault, but OWCs and the crap that they sell.

Lou

pitbull60077

Suspended
Nov 1, 2014
skokie Illinois
I have just upgraded my mid 2009 MacBook pro to High Sierra using the patch tool available on this forum and so far.... today is the second day of using it, I have to say that High Sierra works great on my mid 2009 MacBook pro. It has a 2.26ghz processor, 4gb ram and 160gb platter hd. So far I am rather impressed with High Sierra, if it works this good on an unsupported MacBook pro.... it should be the same or better on a supported by Apple model.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

I would "stay where you are" for now.
Particularly if your older MacBook is still running fine.
You're only "one version of the OS back".
You won't really "gain anything" by trying High Sierra at this point.
Why mess with it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.