Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Im a pc user, and i use Premiere pro, and I have been thinking about getting a new computer, with one either being a pc or a mac, with price range I am unsure of...How much of a difference is there between Premiere pro and Final Cut Pro..And is this the right time to upgrade?

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
your gonna get a mixed reaction.

personally, the main reason why I bought was for FCP because I hate Premiere. I find FCP to be much easier to use than Premiere, but that relates to opinion. What I would do is actually test out a mac like at an apple store, or if you know of a friend who has one. the mac is a great machine in itself.

Right now would only be the time to upgrade if you are getting the best PowerMac (Dual 2.7), which is a GREAT machine (because those are the ones speculated to be updated last after the Intel switch.) Dont get anything else (iMac, PowerBook, MacMini...) at this time.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I hate Premiere and FCP seems to make Premiere look like a childs toy in terms of ease of use and how powerful FCP is. I would of never dreamth of things like slip editing and being able to cut a clip and move the rest of the video back and forth at the same time.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
at my school, we have this 20' inch imac g5, with the whole production suite, and let me tell you its amazing (I have barely used it)...Final Cut has just about the same effects as Premiere, but I haven't used final cut enough to know if its better or worse then premiere. I have used premiere for about 5-6 months, and have gotten the hang of it...My problem is, I don't have the money to buy a 20 inch imac, I want to know what would be good enough with final cut if i were to buy a mac, because I know what works for a pc (for premiere), but not macs. All i need is space (i could just get an external drive), and just enough to perform video editing tasks...

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
An iMac or Power Mac is going to be the best choice for video editing with Final Cut Pro. You could get away with using a Mac mini I supposed, but it definitely wouldn't be really fast. The nice thing about a Power Mac is that it's very expandable/upgradeable, so you can add a new video card, or a new capture card, bigger hard drives, etc, really easily. I use a dual 1.8 GHz Power Mac G5 to do video editing and DVD authoring, and I also switched from Premiere. If you give the new software some time, and are patient in learning the differences between it and Premiere, you'll love it.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
im looking at lower end iMac G5's, they seem to interest me the most, because the power mac, though expandable, is past my price range. BUT, some of the g5's don't have superdrives, i've heard that not having a superdrive for dvd studio and having a external dvd burner does not work...

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
let me tell you that I use both programs. Learned mostly on premiere but can now edit in both. As for ease of use premiere is much easier with terms and getting around. Especially if you have used any other adobe products (illustrator , photoshop etc). FCP is very good also but the gui can get a little more complicated than necessary. For the most part you can do the same with both programs. Stick with your premiere pro on you pc or you can still get a mac and use premiere 6.5 pro which I use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.