Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juan_ozuna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2016
Right now I have the 11" iPad Pro (3rd gen), but my goal is to eventually trade it in for the iPad Mini 7. (I miss the smaller form factor.)

If I trade it in through Apple right now, I can get $425 for it. But I don't want to trade it in unless I know a mini 7 will be coming. I'm worried that if I wait to trade it in until the supposed March event to see whether or not the mini 7 is surprisingly announced, then the trade-in value of my iPad will go down since new iPad Pros are more than likely going to be announced and my iPad Pro will be another generation behind. Of course, if they don't announce an iPad Mini 7 (which seems likely) and I've already traded mine in, then I'm stuck without an iPad until possibly the fall, unless I use that credit towards a mini 6, which seems absurd since I'll be losing out value there too when it comes time to trade that in. Thoughts?

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I traded my 2017 10.5” iPad Pro about three weeks ago with Best Buy as it still had a decent trade-in value and I figured the price will keep going down especially when the new iPads are introduced. It wasn’t holding charge well any more (battery health was 80%) and I’m not sure it will be supported by the upcoming iPadOS. My intent was to hang on to the Best Buy gift card until the new iPad Pro or Air is released. However, on thinking about what I need from an iPad, I realized that the current iPad Air 5th Gen meets my use case quite well and I would save at least $200 and I’d have added at least 6 years before obsolescence. I’m now a happy owner of a purple base 5th Gen iPad Air (a bow to His Purpleness :) - RIP)

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Based on the rumors, people waiting for the new Pros may not like the pricing.

Agree. I'm a retired engineer with resources and I love new tech and tend to the higher-end products - my toys - but the rumored prices have me thinking my iPad upgrade days are coming to an end. And that's not to mention additional costs for something like a new MKB because Apple has altered the size.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Agree. I'm a retired engineer with resources and I love new tech and tend to the higher-end products - my toys - but the rumored prices have me thinking my iPad upgrade days are coming to an end. And that's not to mention additional costs for something like a new MKB because Apple has altered the size.

The current keywords are $300+. Figure an aluminum one (as rumored), $400? And even a base iPad Pro, rumored at starting price of $1500 (I still have a hard time believing that one), you are close to a MacBook Pro in cost. That's a lot for a tablet with a limited OS. A top of the line iPad 12.9 now, with keyboard, is $2700. Can you imagine a top of the line 13 inch OLED iPad at $3500-$4000? Ouch.

But i still have to believe the pricing rumors are way off. Maybe $100-$200 at most for OLED (though I think $400 for the keyboard is realistic). If those pricing rumors are true, the Pros may end up getting killed off.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The current keywords are $300+. Figure an aluminum one (as rumored), $400? And even a base iPad Pro, rumored at starting price of $1500 (I still have a hard time believing that one), you are close to a MacBook Pro in cost. That's a lot for a tablet with a limited OS. A top of the line iPad 12.9 now, with keyboard, is $2700. Can you imagine a top of the line 13 inch OLED iPad at $3500-$4000? Ouch.

But i still have to believe the pricing rumors are way off. Maybe $100-$200 at most for OLED (though I think $400 for the keyboard is realistic). If those pricing rumors are true, the Pros may end up getting killed off.

I really like my M1 12.9 + MKB and want to stick with that form factor but my iPad is not my primary device and I'd find it hard to eat those higher prices. That M1 12.9 may be sticking around a long time.

Reactions: Rafterman

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I really like my M1 12.9 + MKB and want to stick with that form factor but my iPad is not my primary device and I'd find it hard to eat those higher prices. That M1 12.9 may be sticking around a long time.

I have a Pro because I like a lot of storage for media consumption. But if the new Mini (allegedly later this year) has 512GB of storage, I'm done with Pros. But right now, 256GB is a little anemic for me.

Reactions: mangoman

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Right now I have the 11" iPad Pro (3rd gen), but my goal is to eventually trade it in for the iPad Mini 7. (I miss the smaller form factor.)

If I trade it in through Apple right now, I can get $425 for it. But I don't want to trade it in unless I know a mini 7 will be coming. I'm worried that if I wait to trade it in until the supposed March event to see whether or not the mini 7 is surprisingly announced, then the trade-in value of my iPad will go down since new iPad Pros are more than likely going to be announced and my iPad Pro will be another generation behind. Of course, if they don't announce an iPad Mini 7 (which seems likely) and I've already traded mine in, then I'm stuck without an iPad until possibly the fall, unless I use that credit towards a mini 6, which seems absurd since I'll be losing out value there too when it comes time to trade that in. Thoughts?
The iPad mini 7 is rumored to be a spec bump, so unless you truly have a use case that benefits from the smaller size, it seems like a shame to take a loss on your superior iPad Pro.

I’m biased, as I actually traded an iPad mini 6 in with Apple to buy the same iPad Pro you have from their refurbished store. Yes, the smaller mini size is great, but if you’re only going to own one iPad, then your M1 11” is the most versatile screen size (and the OS is optimized for this size), has quad speakers, ProMotion, sufficient storage, and a myriad of available accessories.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Based on the rumors, people waiting for the new Pros may not like the pricing.
Without rumors, people haven't like the pricing for Pros since it's inception.

That really isn't much of a revelation. For some people though who've made the iPad Pro an important part of their activities or just want the imagined best, the pricing was inevitable.

As an owner of a 5th gen 12.9, I've been patiently waiting & saving for a new iPP that finally adds enough to justify upgrading. This might be the year for that upgrade with the changes, and I'm expecting the price demonstrate that.

If you've been waiting for the new pros ( really new pros ), whatever the new pricing will seem inevitable. For me if it's "new" enough, it's a day one pre order with new accessories to geek over. Like everyone else I'll complain about the pricing, but if it's what I need, I'll get it. Just like many others.

Reactions: Wags and Rafterman

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA

Probably just need to wait it out. Don’t think lose much more since trade in already low. Apple’s trade in values suck for iPads. Especially if have one with high storage.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Set up the trade once the March announcement is scheduled, which will lock in your value. If no iPad mini is announced, cancel it.

Reactions: juan_ozuna

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
You might try Best Buy. It beat the Apple trade in offer for both my M1 MBA and 2017 iPad Pro
That has been my experiences as well. I also recommend watching the trade-in values for a few days before trading the device in. I've seen some squirrely things happen where the value will be surprisingly good and then mysteriously drop for a week or so and then go back up. It didn't happen often, but it does happen.

As for the OP's dilemma...

You've stated that you want to upgrade to a Mini 7. THAT is the goal. Don't waiver off of that. If it is announced in March, great! If not, wait. When it is eventually released, then you can decide at that point whether or not you still want the 7. (because there's a chance that you may not actually want what Apple releases)

My goal was to buy the last Mini and "regular size" iPad generations that used the classic chassis. (physical home button, headphone jack, lightning connector). It took quite a bit of waiting, but I got 'em... 256GB Mini 5 and 64GB iPad 9th gen. During that period of waiting there were many times when I was tempted to get something else, (yes, I too was concerned about trade-in values) but in the end it was worth it. The variety of case options and accessories make them quite versatile. I'm still having a blast with them.

Hang in there, stick to the plan. :)

Reactions: dborja

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Here’s what I would do if my end goal was an iPad Mini. Trade it in one week before the event; buy the Mini 7 if announced, or buy a used (or even refurb/open box from somewhere like Best Buy) Mini 6 if not. You can probably get a used 256GB Mini 6 (posssibly with cellular) for the cost of a new 64GB Mini.

realrumors

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
I have a Pro because I like a lot of storage for media consumption. But if the new Mini (allegedly later this year) has 512GB of storage, I'm done with Pros. But right now, 256GB is a little anemic for me.
hhh it may be too expensive

Hope redesigned MKB remains the same price. That would be a small suprise.

digiphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
I traded my 2017 10.5” iPad Pro about three weeks ago with Best Buy as it still had a decent trade-in value and I figured the price will keep going down especially when the new iPads are introduced. It wasn’t holding charge well any more (battery health was 80%) and I’m not sure it will be supported by the upcoming iPadOS. My intent was to hang on to the Best Buy gift card until the new iPad Pro or Air is released. However, on thinking about what I need from an iPad, I realized that the current iPad Air 5th Gen meets my use case quite well and I would save at least $200 and I’d have added at least 6 years before obsolescence. I’m now a happy owner of a purple base 5th Gen iPad Air (a bow to His Purpleness :) - RIP)

Out of curiosity, what value did Best Buy give you?

I traded in my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5" this past weekend at the Apple Store with the quote of $105. Best Buy was also giving me the same value.

I'm waiting for the new ones to be released to decide if I want to go with the Air or Pro.

Do you miss the 120 Hz Pro Motion screen and the 4 speakers of the Pro compared to the Air 5th gen?

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Out of curiosity, what value did Best Buy give you?

I traded in my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5" this past weekend at the Apple Store with the quote of $105. Best Buy was also giving me the same value.

I'm waiting for the new ones to be released to decide if I want to go with the Air or Pro.

Do you miss the 120 Hz Pro Motion screen and the 4 speakers of the Pro compared to the Air 5th gen?
I got $130 on Feb 8th and it was a 64GB Space Gray device. Because I’m a Plus member, I could have gotten another 10% if I straight up traded for the iPad Air. Since I thought I’d be buying a new iPad Pro/Air when it comes out, I opted for a gift card instead so I didn’t get the extra $13. I don’t feel too bad as I still saved $150 off the list price of a 5th Gen iPad Air.

Yes, I did miss the Pro Motion screen and the quad speakers at first but I reminded myself what I’m using an iPad for. The seller’s remorse has since subsided 😄

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.