Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcorr001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
Hello! Thanks for reading this. I need some advice.

So I have an Early 2011, 13" macbook and am running Yosemite. Recently, I upgraded to an 8 GB RAM and put in a solid state harddrive. This has really changed the speed of my macbook which has been great. However, several programs I am wanting to use need a newer operating systems. Should I update to Sierra? Or will I encounter problems if I do this?

Thanks for any advice!
Hannah

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
If you need a newer OS to support programs, then that is a very good reason to upgrade. You should have no problems supporting Sierra since you have a SSD. I thought Sierra worked very well for me.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I run my late 2011 17" MBP on High Sierra, using the factory SSD (which I think is starting to show it's age.. I will be replacing it and the optical bay soon with 2 new ones and using it to run itunes/security cameras) and 16GB of RAM. It was my day to day workhorse until ~September last year.

As with everything, have a backup, but I don't imagine you'll see issues with the newer OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.