Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NowhereManNumber9

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Actually my Mac is running Yosemite

MacBook Air (13 inches, early 2014)
Intel Core i5 1.4 GHz
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

I don't know if I should update any of these, I did not try any operating system.

Version 10.11: El Captain
Version 10.12: Sierra
Version 10.13: High Sierra

I have the iPhone in iOS 11 and it is giving problems with synchronization, Safari doesn't synchronize tabs with iCloud, which I used a lot before. Anyone who has recommended something to me?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with ncrypt -- you might try Low Sierra instead of High Sierra. HS seems to be running into problem after problem. I also prefer the HFS+ file system over the new APFS.

Having said that, I'm going to give you some advice re upgrading to ANY new version of the Mac OS.

It's in two parts.

FIRST PART:
BEFORE you upgrade, do this:
- get an external drive
- download either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both are FREE to download and use for 30 days)
- Use either CCC or SD to create a bootable cloned backup of your internal drive AS IT IS NOW (with Yosemite)
- Set the backup aside for safekeeping.

WHY you're doing this:
If something goes wrong, a bootable cloned backup makes it trivially easy to get your Mac "back to where it once belonged".
If you DON'T take the time to create a cloned backup, you might be able to get back, but it's NOT going to be "easy".

SECOND PART:
Things may go much easier IF you create a bootable USB installer and boot and install the new OS that way.
What you'll need:
- a USB flashdrive 16gb (8gb may work, but 16gb is better)
- the free app "Boot Buddy"
- a copy of the OS installer of your choice
Then use Boot Buddy to create the flash drive installer.
It would probably help to save the installer app somewhere safe, as well.
NOW -- boot and install from the flash drive.

eximious

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2016
Sierra (10.12.6) is buggy for me (MBP 2010). I can't work with Preview.app anymore (it has problems with pdf, exporting to gif, png, printing etc). My MacBook is so slow, it takes almost 3-6 sec while applications launching (I have HDD).

But Apple implemented improvements to Safari - now it's faster then Chrome for me, synchronization works like a charm. That is one huge plus. I recommend update to El Capitan at first.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
High Sierra has just been updated to 10.13.2 and runs real well. Whatever you choose, I would not recommend anything lower than Sierra. I second the advice about using CCC or SD to make a cloned backup before you start.

Reactions: NowhereManNumber9

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For a MacBook Pro with a platter-based drive, trying to run any version of the OS after Mountain Lion may end up being slow as molasses.

And SSD will improve things greatly...

Last edited:

JOSmith99

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
Thanks everyone for your help!

I think I'll try with Sierra apparently High Sierra is full of bugs yet

I have High Sierra on the base model 2012 MacBook Air and it has been great for me. Of course as suggested you should always make a backup before major software updates, but once you do so I would suggest that you try high Sierra. It has been great for me so far, and I have not run into any bugs (other than that tiny, little, barely worth mentioning root account exploit XD).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.