Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suffocation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
I have an Ipad Air 1, it's running iOS 10. Should I update to iOS 12.4.3? I've heard the battery would be worsened if I updated to iOS 12.4.3. I care a lot about battery life. Should I update? Will the battery truly be worsen? Or is it just a temporary thing and my battery would return to normal after a few hours, days? If I update, I'm afraid I can't downgrade to iOS 10. Also, if there is any way i can update to iOS 11 in 2019, I'd like to hear it, since my goal for updating is just to download some apps I haven't been able to download. Thanks a ton.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
In general, 12 ran better on older devices than 9 or 10 or even 11. There were a lot of comparative "tests"/reviews last year on older devices. I'd try some Googling to see if you can find tests of 12 on an iPad Air. You can probably find both speed and battery tests.

Your iPad Air is probably getting pretty old, though, and lithium batteries lose capacity not just through use/recharge cycles but just because the battery ages. Yes, there will probably be a drop-off in battery run time after you update to 12, but it will probably get better after a few days. But the battery itself may be getting old - have you looked at having it replaced? It's hard to say whether it'd be cost-effective but it's worth finding out the cost.

And no, if you update to 12, you definitely won't be able to go back to 10, so go slowly and make sure you've considered the benefits and risks. :)

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I have an Ipad Air 1, it's running iOS 10. Should I update to iOS 12.4.3? I've heard the battery would be worsened if I updated to iOS 12.4.3. I care a lot about battery life. Should I update? Will the battery truly be worsen? Or is it just a temporary thing and my battery would return to normal after a few hours, days? If I update, I'm afraid I can't downgrade to iOS 10. Also, if there is any way i can update to iOS 11 in 2019, I'd like to hear it, since my goal for updating is just to download some apps I haven't been able to download. Thanks a ton.
No. Keep it on ios 10

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
You don’t want iOS 11. 10 or 12 runs better. Maybe wait until there are reports of how well 12.3.4 works on older devices, keep looking. also try AI, iMore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.