Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I upgrade every year. Phone is my main tool. May be I skip this year since iPhone doesn’t support 5G with dual sim. Not sure yet.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I’m using iPhone 11 right now, should I upgrade to iPhone 12, or wait for next year?

What features do you feel would justify an upgrade? The 12 has a higher resolution, higher contrast screen with HDR, has a better camera system (including the computational photography software), and 5G, at the cost of worse battery life.

sickgadgetfanboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2020
I thought to wait until Apple released an iPhone with a smaller notch compared to now, because when I upgrade to the iPhone 12, I rarely use the camera and my country doesn't support 5G, so the difference I feel is only in body shape and screen. Is it worth to wait or i just should upgrade it now?

Julienne

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Texas

I thought to wait until Apple released an iPhone with a smaller notch compared to now, because when I upgrade to the iPhone 12, I rarely use the camera and my country doesn't support 5G, so the difference I feel is only in body shape and screen. Is it worth to wait or i just should upgrade it now?
Don’t upgrade. Save your money that’s important.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
It's a decent upgrade. Significantly better display, 5g, improved camera etc. If these mean something to you it is worth the upgrade. If you're not massively bothered, better to wait another year.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
It’s a huge upgrade over the 11

- New design
- 5G
- OLED screen
- MagSafe

it’s nice to see it getting a lot of new features. Unlike XR to 11 when there weren’t any new features

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth

No 5G in your country?? do not upgrade then because the rest of what the iphone 12 has to offer compared to the iphone 11 is not worth it.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Next year good chance of Underscreen Touch ID and Face ID because of the pandemic
5G will also be better a year from now

Reactions: arefbe

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
Don't upgrade, your 11 still works fine. Don't forget the price of the 6.1" model has also increased by $100. And how much would you get for your 11 if you sell it? If you upgrade now you would spend hundreds of dollars for an upgrade which is good but also not that extraordinary.

If you upgrade in 1-2 years you’ll get a much more interesting upgrade.

Reactions: Ukiyo Evenings

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
I think MR is the probaly the only place where we can find so many people who advice to upgrade yearly. ?

Let's be real and serious. iPhone is becoming a mature product. Upgrade every 2-3 years minimum, you will have a much better upgrade and you save money.
Every year you gonna have the "best iPhone ever"

Riffz60

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
You don’t save money by upgrading every 2 years vs every year due to the resale value of iPhones after 1 year. It works out about the same if not slightly better.

I think MR is the probaly the only place where we can find so many people who advice to upgrade yearly. ?

Let's be real and serious. iPhone is becoming a mature product. Upgrade every 2-3 years minimum, you will have a much better upgrade and you save money.
Every year you gonna have the "best iPhone ever"

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
You don’t save money by upgrading every 2 years vs every year due to the resale value of iPhones after 1 year. It works out about the same if not slightly better.
This is not true. The resale value decrease a lot in Y1 and then it continues to decrease but way slower in Y2/Y3 meaning you save money by using the phone in Y2/Y3. Do the math.

Reactions: Ukiyo Evenings
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.