Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
So here it is, finally a totally new 11-inch iPad Pro. The 2020 one is not a true upgrade in many ways and no one who has the 2018 iPad Pro should upgrade to it.

But now, the 11-incher is getting the mighty M1 chip, faster storage, much bigger RAM, etc. etc. BUT it doesn’t have the new mini-LED screen.

Do you think it is still a worthy upgrade? Currently, I have the 2018 iPad Pro 11-inch with 256GB of storage and LTE connection. I use the LTE connection quite a lot at work. I also bought the Magic Keyboard last year and man this keyboard is SO good.

Upgrading to the 12.9-inch also gets the new screen which is really amazing. However I will also have to get the new Magic Keyboard ($350), and at least 50% more weight, not to mention the whole set up is much more expensive than a comparable M1 MacBook Air.

Decision, decision. What are your thoughts?

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
It all depends on what the new iPadOS release is able to do, in my opinion. I would wait until WWDC to decide.
Similar for me. To OP - I also have 2018 11 inch iPP. For now I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. Of course the new iPP is more powerful than the 2018 one. This is true but I have no power issues with my current iPP and I do not use any app that would require more power than what I have currently. New iPad Pros sound great hardware wise, but I just don't see the software that would take advantage of that hardware. And IMO if such appears it would take at least 6 months (maybe even a year) to really see it in App Store and install it on the device. So I personally for now do not plan to upgrade.

I also do not expect revolutionary changes with iPadOS 15 because I do believe that most iPad users have no more than 4GB RAM so no matter what Apple or other companies do, they would still create apps that support 4GB RAM for years to come.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Buy what you like when you want it (if you can afford it). There is no wrong or right. Treat yourself!

Personally I’m most interested in the 12.9 and iPad mini models.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Similar for me. To OP - I also have 2018 11 inch iPP. For now I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. Of course the new iPP is more powerful than the 2018 one. This is true but I have no power issues with my current iPP and I do not use any app that would require more power than what I have currently. New iPad Pros sound great hardware wise, but I just don't see the software that would take advantage of that hardware. And IMO if such appears it would take at least 6 months (maybe even a year) to really see it in App Store and install it on the device. So I personally for now do not plan to upgrade.

I also do not expect revolutionary changes with iPadOS 15 because I do believe that most iPad users have no more than 4GB RAM so no matter what Apple or other companies do, they would still create apps that support 4GB RAM for years to come.
I agree. I think Apple will continue with the spec bumping with the OS, until and unless they feel a need for a complete makeover which, I don't think is coming to iPadOS 15.

I don't use my iPad Pro for anything intense. Since I got my M1 MBA, it has been relegated to spreadsheets, SideCar, and some surfing (with sunscreen of course).

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I'm in an identical quandary with my 2018 11" Pro. If Adobe were to introduce an iOS-based version of InDesign or if a corollary app were available, the iPad could become an on-the-road production tool for me. As it is, however, my iPad is a consumption device. Much as I'd like to have 1 TB of storage and 16 GB RAM, it's hard to justify switching up when the machine I have remains perfectly suitable.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
That would be very cool indeed. My problem is I purchased those two programs under my old Apple ID. I would have to repurchase the apps for the ID I am currently using. I wish Apple would let us transfer apps to a different ID.
Can't you share apps between Apple IDs?

Reactions: haruhiko

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I'm in an identical quandary with my 2018 11" Pro. If Adobe were to introduce an iOS-based version of InDesign or if a corollary app were available, the iPad could become an on-the-road production tool for me. As it is, however, my iPad is a consumption device. Much as I'd like to have 1 TB of storage and 16 GB RAM, it's hard to justify switching up when the machine I have remains perfectly suitable.

Indesign would be great on a big iPad with a big external monitor and full support for that (screw screen mirroring). If it’s just on the internal display, never mind, I’d rather go back to my workstation.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
That would be very cool indeed. My problem is I purchased those two programs under my old Apple ID. I would have to repurchase the apps for the ID I am currently using. I wish Apple would let us transfer apps to a different ID.

Family Sharing with your other ID? Or are they in different countries?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
My other ID. I got it to work with family sharing the other account with my current one. That gives me access to Final Cut, Compressor, and Logic. I also thought about using one of the newer apps like Luma.

That approach works for my wife too who used to have another account. As long as they’re in the same country all is good.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Indesign would be great on a big iPad with a big external monitor and full support for that (screw screen mirroring). If it’s just on the internal display, never mind, I’d rather go back to my workstation.
I have to lug a laptop everywhere I go (I traveled a good deal before the pandemic, and will begin again soon) and I would love the opportunity to leave my laptop behind for a change. As it is, the only work-related task I cannot perform on an iPad - audio editing aside, because even though I've never done it, I know it's possible - is working with InDesign documents. Otherwise, I'm with you ... if I have my laptop, I'd still use that big display. If I'm in my office, of course, I have my dual-monitor setup and screen real estate isn't at a premium.

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
I’m also rocking the 2018 11 inch. (Technically, it’s an Apple-provided replacement after an unfortunate drop onto a fireplace hearth, but that’s why I’m grateful I went for Apple Care.) My point is, my device is still in excellent condition, and I use it all the time.

Unless I see something remarkable with the new iPad OS, then I doubt I’m going to make a change based on what I’ve seen. If I did, I might try the 12.9 again; working at home during the pandemic really made me wonder again by the larger size, but since I prefer to use a tablet vertically, 12.9 is a little too much. (Honestly, a 12 would be perfect, but Apple clearly knows the value in providing both options.)

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Not worth it all in my opinion. Unless Apple does something significant with all that power at WWDC.

I wish id actually picked up the 2018 iPad Pro at launch as I would of had great longevity with it. Instead I kept talking myself out of it and picked it up in early 2020 in the end, which I still kick myself over.

Reactions: Porterhouse

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Do you think it is still a worthy upgrade? Currently, I have the 2018 iPad Pro 11-inch with 256GB of storage and LTE connection. I use the LTE connection quite a lot at work. I also bought the Magic Keyboard last year and man this keyboard is SO good.
The answer is simple… is it a worthy upgrade, yes.

Do you find your current iPad Pro perfectly capable for your use? I’m sure that answer.. is yes. But we all want more power. And your sig eloquently is suited for this topic… life is short. Enjoy what you want. I use LumaFusion and a various amounts of photo editing apps, I plan on upgrading.
I agree. I think Apple will continue with the spec bumping with the OS, until and unless they feel a need for a complete makeover which, I don't think is coming to iPadOS 15.

I don't use my iPad Pro for anything intense. Since I got my M1 MBA, it has been relegated to spreadsheets, SideCar, and some surfing (with sunscreen of course).
I’m puzzled by this. Apple has decided to put M1 chip in a iPad Pro... A chip that’s in their macs. And you think iPadOS 15 will simply be a spec bump? Just a couple days ago… a report from Bloomberg (a reliable source) mentioned iPadOS will get a redesign HomeScreen. For which I think is not a spec bump.
IMO, similar to how Apple designate features to certain devices. There will be certain apps that will only run on the new iPad Pro. And I think the development has already taken place on the Macs running the M1 chip.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Do you find your current iPad Pro perfectly capable for your use? I’m sure that answer.. is yes. But we all want more power. And your sig eloquently is suited for this topic… life is short. Enjoy what you want. I use LumaFusion and a various amounts of photo editing apps, I plan on upgrading.

I’m puzzled by this. Apple has decided to put M1 chip in a iPad Pro... A chip that’s in their macs. And you think iPadOS 15 will simply be a spec bump? Just a couple days ago… a report from Bloomberg (a reliable source) mentioned iPadOS will get a redesign HomeScreen. For which I think is not a spec bump.

IMO, similar to how Apple designate features to certain devices. There will be certain apps that will only run on the new iPad Pro. And I think the development has already taken place on the Macs running the M1 chip.
Granted, I am merely speculating as anyone else here but, I have yet to see Apple offer an OS that wasn't gimped in several ways even after releasing new hardware. I hope I am proven wrong but, I don't think I will be.

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I'm upgrading from my 2018 11" due to the fact that Apple is giving $455 as a trade in for my almost 2 1/4 year old iPad. I'll get double the storage, a new battery and everything else for around $354 (+ tax, - rebate for using my Apple Card). Seems like a good time to trade it in!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Granted, I am merely speculating as anyone else here but, I have yet to see Apple offer an OS that wasn't gimped in several ways even after releasing new hardware. I hope I am proven wrong but, I don't think I will be.
Obviously, we are all speculating here. And yeah, history has shown that the OS from the iPad has left more to be desired. I’m just connecting the dots… we are charting new territory here.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009

Haha you convinced me having quoted my signature. Yeah life is short. If I can afford it, why not. Lol.

Reactions: Ludatyk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.