Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
i'm an apple user, but came across a free HP Pavilion dv7-3162nr Entertainment Notebook PC Product. lots of inputs/outputs, blue ray disc player, 17" screen, 500 gb hdd, etc. never upgraded from the original Windows 7 home. apparently microsoft has stopped supporting it. windows 11 is out, and was looking at possibly upgrading. believe i would have to do 10 first, then 11. not sure if there is a free method available. or, maybe i should just run it in 7. thoughts and suggestions?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
apparently microsoft has stopped supporting it.
Yep, they dropped support 2 years ago.

believe i would have to do 10 first, then 11.
Normally, I'd say no, but I think if you want to upgrade the existing system and keep your files, you may need to go to windows 10 first.

Otherwise I believe you can just do a clean install to windows 11

At the bottom of this link, there's a pc health app - it will check to see if your PC can even run windows 11

MS included a baffling requirement of TPM 2.0, if you machine has it, you should be all set, but the pc health app will tell you

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Believe there's a way to upgrade Windows 7 to 10 for free. Then Windows 10 to 11 is free.

Depending on how important it is to you to revert to 7 if the upgrade doesn't complete you may want to make a backup image of the current drive. Or, worst case install Linux as a last resort.

Also a good idea to update your BIOS to the latest version while still on 7 to avoid issues with executable not running on newer Windows versions then enable TPM in BIOS if you decide to try 11.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
I think I ran that app, and was told I needed to go to 10 first. However, I believe I would have to purchase 10, since no “free” support.

The machine has no personal files on it. So nothing to save.

Attachments

• 788DB92B-791F-45E0-AE6E-DC33F8C9556C.jpeg
    788DB92B-791F-45E0-AE6E-DC33F8C9556C.jpeg
    857.7 KB · Views: 116

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Doesn't hurt to try upgrading to 10 Home to see if it's still free. Worst case you'll just get an activation watermark nag in the lower right corner of screen but it's functional. Make sure you're not connected to the internet when booting into 10/11 for the first time to use local account vs having to use Microsoft cloud account and to personalize Windows for dark mode, wallpaper, etc.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Windows 7 FREE extended support ended on January 14 2020 and the edition on the computer you purchased is Home which is not eligible for Extended Security Updates [paid support per machine for Professional and Enterprise editions]...

Even though Microsoft officially stated they have ended the free Windows 10 upgrade for eligible Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 editions back in 2016, there are others that do a clean install of Windows 10 and use the corresponding product key of their Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 install and it worked, provided that you use Windows 7 Home Basic/Home Premium for Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Professional for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 8.1 Core/Single Language for Windows 10 Home and Windows 8.1 Pro [as well as the Pro with Media Center] for Windows 10 Pro...

Free upgrade to Windows 11 is only available to Windows 10 so you need to upgrade first from Windows 7... Also, whether you clean install Windows 11 or upgrade to Windows 11, assuming the computer is not compatible with the set requirements by Microsoft, you will need to do some workarounds for the install to be successful...

If the installed version of Windows 7 is 32bit, you will need to install the 64bit version first [if you're going to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 then to Windows 11] since Windows 11 is only 64bit, assuming the computer has 4GB RAM or more...

If your main consideration is compatibility with the latest software versions, go with Windows 10 since it is still supported until 2025... If you are adventurous and can handle the workarounds and is okay to keep up/live with bugs/incomplete features, go with Windows 11...

If you no longer want Windows on the computer and want to try something else, you can go with a Linux distribution and I recommend you start with Linux Mint 20.3

If you want another macOS device and has the know-how, you can convert that into a Hackintosh build...

Reactions: klasma and rwh63

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
Windows 7 FREE extended support ended on January 14 2020 and the edition on the computer you purchased is Home which is not eligible for Extended Security Updates [paid support per machine for Professional and Enterprise editions]...

Even though Microsoft officially stated they have ended the free Windows 10 upgrade for eligible Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 editions back in 2016, there are others that do a clean install of Windows 10 and use the corresponding product key of their Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 install and it worked, provided that you use Windows 7 Home Basic/Home Premium for Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Professional for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 8.1 Core/Single Language for Windows 10 Home and Windows 8.1 Pro [as well as the Pro with Media Center] for Windows 10 Pro...

Free upgrade to Windows 11 is only available to Windows 10 so you need to upgrade first from Windows 7... Also, whether you clean install Windows 11 or upgrade to Windows 11, assuming the computer is not compatible with the set requirements by Microsoft, you will need to do some workarounds for the install to be successful...

If the installed version of Windows 7 is 32bit, you will need to install the 64bit version first [if you're going to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 then to Windows 11] since Windows 11 is only 64bit, assuming the computer has 4GB RAM or more...

If your main consideration is compatibility with the latest software versions, go with Windows 10 since it is still supported until 2025... If you are adventurous and can handle the workarounds and is okay to keep up/live with bugs/incomplete features, go with Windows 11...

If you no longer want Windows on the computer and want to try something else, you can go with a Linux distribution and I recommend you start with Linux Mint 20.3

If you want another macOS device and has the know-how, you can convert that into a Hackintosh build...
ok, for a non-techy, that is a little to digest. since this is a free computer, and i don't have anything of mine on it, would a hd wipe allow a windows 10 install? i could also put a new hd in it (apparently there are two bays for them for expansion).

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
ok, for a non-techy, that is a little to digest. since this is a free computer, and i don't have anything of mine on it, would a hd wipe allow a windows 10 install? i could also put a new hd in it (apparently there are two bays for them for expansion).
If the computer has the Windows 7 license sticker intact, you can go ahead and disk wipe to either re-install Windows 7 from scratch, or fresh install Windows 10 then upgrade to Windows 11 or go straight to Windows 11... If you don't have the Windows 7 product key, you can still proceed with the fresh install however you will need to shell out for a Windows 10 or Windows 11 product key since you will not be able to do a free upgrade...

I have the know-how on how to deal with your situation, however I don't think I can easily translate the steps into something a non-tech savvy or someone with little to no Windows repair/reinstall knowledge can easily understand... But if I was your friend or at least a neighbor, I would do it for you for free and maybe teach you along the way/as we go through the steps...

You can also watch some YouTube videos as a starting point before you proceed with working on the computer...

Last edited:
Reactions: rwh63

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
If the computer has the Windows 7 license sticker intact, you can go ahead and disk wipe to either re-install Windows 7 from scratch, or fresh install Windows 10 then upgrade to Windows 11 or go straight to Windows 11... If you don't have the Windows 7 product key, you can still proceed with the fresh install however you will need to shell out for a Windows 10 or Windows 11 product key since you will not be able to do a free upgrade...

I have the know-how on how to deal with your situation, however I don't think I can easily translate the steps into something a non-tech savvy or someone with little to no Windows repair/reinstall knowledge can easily understand... But if I was your friend or at least a neighbor, I would do it for you for free and maybe teach you along the way/as we go through the steps...

You can also watch some YouTube videos as a starting point before you proceed with working on the computer...
If there is no sticker. You can grab the product key fairly easily with the free version of Produkey.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
i'm an apple user, but came across a free HP Pavilion dv7-3162nr Entertainment Notebook PC Product. lots of inputs/outputs, blue ray disc player, 17" screen, 500 gb hdd, etc. never upgraded from the original Windows 7 home. apparently microsoft has stopped supporting it. windows 11 is out, and was looking at possibly upgrading. believe i would have to do 10 first, then 11. not sure if there is a free method available. or, maybe i should just run it in 7. thoughts and suggestions?
No, Windows 11 doesn't support that hardware. Your option is only Windows 10, and Windows 10 for consumers will stop being supported by 2025.

Personally, just keep Windows 7 on it, and use 3rd party browsers like Firefox/Brave to get an upto-date browser. What are you using it for?

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
With Windows 7 you may get the experience of an intuitive friendly OS and with a purchase of Win. 10 will be able to transfer it for use on a Mac and thus have a superior OS - as well as retaining Mac OS which apparently has some advantages in specialized areas.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I'd say no, unless you really want some of the new features. Windows 7 is not supported anymore but if you'll behave responsibly you have nothing to fear. And as a bonus you'll get the nicest looking operating system from Microsoft with rock solid stability.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
thx for all of the suggestions everyone.

i just picked this up on Saturday (dump find). came with a like new carry case, several usb sticks, two power cords, and two dead batteries.

i gave it a light cleaning, checked its input functions, deleted any misc. stuff from PO, did some recommended software updates, changed the admin/password.

its a pretty heavy and large laptop, more of a desktop. possible i'll gift it, or keep it to experiment with. i do everything with my Apples (recently had a long thread concerning a 2009 iMac dump find that is now up and running).

i'll probably keep it at 7 for now. look into 10. 11 may not work on this machine. never done an OS onto PC.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And that means what for an average user?
Sounds like you're moving the goalposts :rolleyes:

We have a very bad vulnerability that I provided that shows that just using common sense or avoiding sketchy sites is insufficient. Why are you pushing a narrative that a long EOL'd OS is fine and the OP has nothing to worry when that goes against the grain of common sense.

Oh and there's the wannacry Which will infect someone's PC even if that person wasn't clicking on a sketchy site or not using common sense as you say
WannaCry ransomware is a crypto ransomware worm that attacks Windows PCs. It’s a form of malware that can spread from PC to PC across networks

Seems incredibly foolish to say that the OP will be fine as long as he doesn't go to sketchy sites and use common sense when clicking on links. Yes, we all should use common sense when clicking on links, but that common sense should also extend to patching the operating system and ensuring that our PCs are well protected against malware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.