Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
I currently have a base 6 core model trash can
  1. 3.5 ghz 6 core
  2. 16gb ram
  3. AMD FirePro D500 3 GB
  4. 256gb SSD
I *WANT* the new Mac Pro but I don't NEED it. I am one of those crazy people that don't video edit. don't do any massive photo editing but I end up buying the new Mac Pro toy. the 7,1 is just so expensive. My config would be over $6k and I just can't justify it.

My new thought is the Upgrade Service by OWC

I can go to:
  1. Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 12-Core 2.7GHz Processor 30MB Cache
  2. 128.0GB Mac Pro Late 2013 Memory (Matched Set - 32GB x 4)
  3. 2.0TB Aura Pro X2 SSD Upgrade for Mac Pro (Late 2013)
for about $1,600. The money isn't the issue, I am hesitant about upgrading a 7 year old computer. would you?

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Yes I would: 11 minutes ago
Of course it all depends on your needs too. You might want to check if you need more single core speed than multicore. I chose the multicore because of cinerender (Maxon CPU renderer). It takes all the cores it can get, and at the maximum megahertz too.

You should consider the downgraded RAM speeds too.
RAM speed with 128GB
You will get slower MHz with full 128GB, and with 2697V2 it will be 800MHz - compared to 1866MHz with 64GB.
Look for the small print behind this link:
OWC 128GB for 6.1

Last edited:
Reactions: loby

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Hello rasputin666,

It sounds like the new Mac Pro 7.1 would be a massive overkill for your computing needs.

I would recommend that you take the "upgrade" option for your Mac Pro 6.1.

However, I would only consider the following:

1. Upgrade the RAM to 32GB

2. Upgrade the internal SSD to a 1.0TB Aurora Pro X2 (internal)

There is no need to upgrade the CPU.

Your 2013 Mac Pro has many years of life left and will serve you well. I expect my configuration (see signature below) to last another 7+ years!

Good luck in your upgrading adventures!

richmlow

I currently have a base 6 core model trash can
  1. 3.5 ghz 6 core
  2. 16gb ram
  3. AMD FirePro D500 3 GB
  4. 256gb SSD Aurora Pro X2
I *WANT* the new Mac Pro but I don't NEED it. I am one of those crazy people that don't video edit. don't do any massive photo editing but I end up buying the new Mac Pro toy. the 7,1 is just so expensive. My config would be over $6k and I just can't justify it.

My new thought is the Upgrade Service by OWC

I can go to:
  1. Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 12-Core 2.7GHz Processor 30MB Cache
  2. 128.0GB Mac Pro Late 2013 Memory (Matched Set - 32GB x 4)
  3. 2.0TB Aura Pro X2 SSD Upgrade for Mac Pro (Late 2013)
for about $1,600. The money isn't the issue, I am hesitant about upgrading a 7 year old computer. would you?

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Yes I would: 11 minutes ago
Of course it all depends on your needs too. You might want to check if you need more single core speed than multicore. I chose the multicore because of cinerender (Maxon CPU renderer). It takes all the cores it can get, and at the maximum megahertz too.

You should consider the downgraded RAM speeds too.
RAM speed with 128GB
You will get slower MHz with full 128GB, and with 2697V2 it will be 800MHz - compared to 1866MHz with 64GB.
Look for the small print behind this link:
OWC 128GB for 6.1
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll have to read up about the chip and that’s a good point about the memory. I’ll let everyone know what I end up doing.

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Hello rasputin666,

It sounds like the new Mac Pro 7.1 would be a massive overkill for your computing needs.

I would recommend that you take the "upgrade" option for your Mac Pro 6.1.

However, I would only consider the following:

1. Upgrade the RAM to 32GB

2. Upgrade the internal SSD to a 1.0TB Aurora Pro X2 (internal)

There is no need to upgrade the CPU.

Your 2013 Mac Pro has many years of life left and will serve you well. I expect my configuration (see signature below) to last another 7+ years!

Good luck in your upgrading adventures!

richmlow
Thanks for the feedback. I’m curious about the memory and SSD suggestions. If 32 and 64 give me the better speed than the 128 as I’ve just learned, why recommend 32 over 64? And same for the 1tb over the 2tb? Again, just curious.

MikkelAD

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2018
If 32 and 64 give me the better speed than the 128 as I’ve just learned, why recommend 32 over 64? And same for the 1tb over the 2tb? Again, just curious.

Well,

"I am one of those crazy people that don't video edit. don't do any massive photo editing but I end up buying the new Mac Pro to"

That's fair. I have the Mac Pro 6,1 too and I'm by no means a professional that can utilise the machine, so I know how it goes :)

That being said. There is really no point in getting 64GB of RAM if you can't utilise them? 16GB is great for the average consumer who likes to have different apps open, but don't do anything really demanding. 32GB is already pushing it a bit considering the workload you are describing to us. If you find a "good deal" then sure get 64GB to get the maximum amount of RAM for the Mac Pro 6,1. Just know, you probably won't feel the difference at all unless you change workload later.

In terms of the SSD again do you really need 2TB? Do you have a lot of photos, music etc. ?
The "upgrade" in speed comes from switching the standard SSD out with a newer generation not by going from 1TB to 2TB...

Reactions: richmlow

MikkelAD

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2018
... and by the way!

If you are a real Mac Pro 6,1 fan and want to keep it as a bit of an art piece as well I think you should "get your hands dirty" and upgrade it yourself ;)

You will have saved some money and your street credit at macrumors.com will become quite a lot higher ?

Reactions: loby and richmlow

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
... and by the way!

If you are a real Mac Pro 6,1 fan and want to keep it as a bit of an art piece as well I think you should "get your hands dirty" and upgrade it yourself ;)

You will have saved some money and your street credit at macrumors.com will become quite a lot higher ?
I agree 100% :) I've done tons of cards, HD's and memory upgrades but never a CPU. I'll at least watch a few 'how to' vids and see if you and them can change my mind!! Thx for helping me decide with these choices

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Hello rasputin666,

As MikkelAD pointed out in this thread, there is no point in getting 64GB RAM if your workload (now and in the foreseeable future) won't even max out 32GB RAM. Same argument for the 1TB SSD vs. 2TB SSD.

Having said that, I do think that a 256GB SSD is a bit small for storage. 16GB RAM is OK, but I also prefer a bit of breathing room with 32 GB RAM. This is reasonable since each new generation of macOS seems to require more and more RAM.

I really like my upgraded 2013 Mac Pro (see signature). It's been a rock-solid workhorse for mission-critical stuff.

My 2018 Mac mini (8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) feels very constrained, compared to my 2013 Mac Pro.

Something which has been on my "To Do" list is to install 32GB RAM into the Mac mini. I definitely need more than 8GB RAM. Earlier in the year, I was running a Mathematica program (for over 3 days) and the Mac mini ran out of physical memory during that time. So, there was extensive SSD "disk-swapping" during the calculation. To make a long story short....it ended up reducing my SSD drive to 93% "life expectancy", according to DriveDX!

richmlow

Thanks for the feedback. I’m curious about the memory and SSD suggestions. If 32 and 64 give me the better speed than the 128 as I’ve just learned, why recommend 32 over 64? And same for the 1tb over the 2tb? Again, just curious.

Last edited:

GiantKiwi

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Cambridge, UK
Would also raise the point that, if you don't need 64GB RAM, you definitely have no need for the E5 2697v2. I'm running 6 VM's semi-permanently and don't need the 12c/24t CPU. I still only chose to go for the 2667v2 as the benefit of the extra 8 threads only worked out as about 12-15% whilst costing 200% more.

jmcube

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2013
I am considering upgrading my 6.1 too. Mine is a 4 core D300 though. The big thing I do with it is some Mathematica, I guess maybe I should consider the 10 core 64 GB upgrade?

Reactions: richmlow

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
I'm not that familiar with Mathematica, so please forgive me if my thinking is more like a guess than a fact:

I think the benefit of upgrading the CPU would depend of what kind of a license you use with your Mac. Number of computational kernels are bound with a license type.

for example:
Personal license seems to top at 4 kernels
Educational University licenses are 8 kernels

If the former, I dont think upgrade would be worth it.
If the latter, you would benefit 4 more kernels over personal license. So this would make a 10 core ideal choice, with a little bit of spare cores too for system background and Mathematica front end etc.

But I'm sure there are real Mathematica users to answer this more thoroughly.

ps. just collected my 10-core (2690V2), waiting to have some spare time with it.
1601524621136.png

jmcube

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2013
Thanks. I appreciated your earlier post... it is a lot better to consider the 10c64GB upgrade rather than the 12c128GB upgrade!

Currently I have an educational license.

Ozdawg99

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
I have a MP, 6 core, 512gb Apple ssd, D300, and 64 GB ram. Dual 30" monitors. A digitizing tablet and a 20tb external storage connected via Thunderbolt.
I do a lot of digital painting and illustration. And this set-up is awesome for me.yea the 128 does feel slower, so I sold them and dropped in the 64gb.
Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom don't use the multi-core so an 8, 10 or 12 core is a waste. (Unless you want to sell the MP, a 12 core goes for a bit more than the 6 core, and if you are comfortable doing the upgrade, I believe is worth the effort for a couple hundred extra in sale price).

Reactions: Selsk and richmlow

Selsk

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2017
I have the same 6,1 as you. I wouldn't get the owc aura. Just put a new Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB. I did and it was a huge speed upgrade. And like others have said you can get any processor for cheap from an eBay server pull.

vett93

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
California
I got one of the first batch MP 6,1 in early 2014. It had 4 cores, 12GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and D300s then. I used it with 2 Dell HD monitors then. Over the years, I have done several updates.

Now it has a 10-core/20-thread Xeon processor, 64GB RAM, 2TB Samsung SSD, and pair with 1 Dell HD, 1 BenQ 27" 4K, 1 BenQ 32" 4K, and 1 Dell 43" 4K monitors. I use them for processing photos as hobby and develop AI software for work.

I plan to get the mini Mac Pro 1-2 years down the road.

Reactions: Selsk

Selsk

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2017
I have a MP, 6 core, 512gb Apple ssd, D300, and 64 GB ram. Dual 30" monitors. A digitizing tablet and a 20tb external storage connected via Thunderbolt.
I do a lot of digital painting and illustration. And this set-up is awesome for me.yea the 128 does feel slower, so I sold them and dropped in the 64gb.
Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom don't use the multi-core so an 8, 10 or 12 core is a waste. (Unless you want to sell the MP, a 12 core goes for a bit more than the 6 core, and if you are comfortable doing the upgrade, I believe is worth the effort for a couple hundred extra in sale price).
What is your thunderbolt storage setup if you don't mind me asking? Right now I'm on usb drives, which sucks. All the TB2 options i see are $$$$$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.