Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
I stopped updating the OS on my OG HomePods (2 of them, stereo pair) in the later OS 14 era. At that time there was a lot of chatter about OS updates bricking HomePods and causing other issues.

I am having some HomeKit issues lately with my Lyric T5 thermostat, but other than that HomePod OS 14 is serving me well.

Did the aforementioned issues get worked out? Are folks having good experiences with OS 17 on OG HomePods?

Thanks,
Brian

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I never stopped updating. My OG HomePod is on 17.2 and everything is fine. I've not encountered any problems with updates since I bought it. Not sure why others had problems. Maybe they updated manually right away? I always let it update itself and maybe because of that it always received later, corrected versions of the updates? No idea :) But as I said: My OG HomePod is doing fine. HomeKit is working as well, but I only own a few lights and a smart outlet, nothing too complicated.

ibri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Thank you all for your reports. I suppose I should bite the bullet and upgrade mine.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
17.3 - The only issue I’m seeing now is when I long press one of a stereo pair of HomePods to take over as the preferred “Hey, Siri” HomePod, it would revert back to the other HomePod mysteriously on its own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.