Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I actually bought a new 16" and returned it as I don't need that kind of machine (no need for eGpu) and it got too hot just plugged into an external monitor.

I love my Mid 2013, love the size, quietness, magsafe but could use a little more power now and at least 16Gb ram.
The geekbench score for my 2013 and the geekbench score for the 2019 are here and it looks like the difference is pretty big!
Not sure if the 2019 score is correct but looks good.

Costco has the 2019 for $799 on sale!

Should I wait a few more months to see if we get an air with the 10nm Intel chip with integrated Thunderbolt, WiFi6, and LPDDR4
or just get the 2019 and use it until the next great Macbook/Air arrives?

ptimickey59

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2019
France, Valenciennes
hi.

if the money is not a problem, why not order a 2019 and if needed upgrade to the next gen.

We have no visibility for the next gen so if your 2013 need to get retired why not invest the 2019.

If it is risky of sorrow to see better config in few months then it's better to wait a little.

KR.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I know Dell and others have started releasing 10nm laptops with LPDDR4, I'm hoping the next Air/Macbook and or Pro 13 have the 10nm in it.
That's what I've kinda been waiting for, for the last couple of years. That and I don't want to give up magsafe

AxelFoley

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
I actually bought a new 16" and returned it as I don't need that kind of machine (no need for eGpu) and it got too hot just plugged into an external monitor.

I love my Mid 2013, love the size, quietness, magsafe but could use a little more power now and at least 16Gb ram.
The geekbench score for my 2013 and the geekbench score for the 2019 are here and it looks like the difference is pretty big!

Should I wait a few more months to see if we get an air with the 10nm Intel chip with integrated Thunderbolt, WiFi6, and LPDDR4

As of today, Costco shows "out of stock" on the 2019 model. Best Buy has put its pricing back to $1100.

Last edited:

em500

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
Incorrect: you're comparing Geekbench 5 scores for the 2013 with Geekbench 4 scores for the 2019, but they have completely different scales. There's a comparison on the same (Geekbench 5) scale: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/802410?baseline=795008

Here's a full list of Mac CPU scores on the Geekbench 5 scale: https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks
The 2019 Air is not listed, but it's performance is identical to the 2018 Air.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island

If you really do need more power and more RAM right now, get a new computer that meets your needs....

If you merely desire more power and more RAM, but what you have now still does what you ask of it, hold off until something even more desirable comes along.

I have a 2009 Mac Mini, which is/was still fine for much of what I do/did. However, for work (teacher) and anticipated entering a more transient phase of life I was in need of something more portable, so I bought a 2018 MacBook Air (old model). It shows up a few shortcomings in the Mini, but day to day for most purposes there is not much in it....... For now, however, the Mini is in storage, however, awaiting the time I have a new home to base myself in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.