Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
well considering no one knows what the 2021 iphone will look like or feature...how are we supposed to answer that for you?
if the xs max still meets your needs, keep it. if it doesnt and you find a good trade in deal in, upgrade. not a hard question.

Reactions: John dosh

B_mark_R

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
I think when the dust settles after the iphone event you will definitely want to upgrade! The 13 is shaping up to be a very refined and feature packed machine.

Reactions: Albertoakpark

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Don't ask me. I'm still a happy iPhone 6s user and only now looking to upgrade because my support is nearing it's end. I hate change and operate under the "If it aint broke don't fix it" rule.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I respectfully disagree. For example the XS was hardly an upgrade over the x.
I guess it depends on your situation and your outlook. However, every year there is someone in the forum here claiming that the next iPhone is the bestest.

If you want the best iPhone ever released you're going to have to live long enough for Apple to discontinue it and then buy the last model offered. In between, all you get is just the next best model.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
When you look back at your life in the far future and reflect back at all the tech gear you purchased in your lifetime (which inexorably ended up in a landfill) will it make any difference at all, to the slightest degree, that your tech ownership was always a few years behind the latest and greatest?

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I respectfully disagree. For example the XS was hardly an upgrade over the x.
And again, that depends on your needs. For me, the XS was a huge, major upgrade from the X. Largest upgrade for me in years period when it comes to iPhone. Why? Dual SIM support. Finally, I no longer have to keep two phones.

So it really depends on what your needs are. Those should be the basis of a purchase in the first place.

Reactions: Ferc Kast

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
And again, that depends on your needs. For me, the XS was a huge, major upgrade from the X. Largest upgrade for me in years period when it comes to iPhone. Why? Dual SIM support. Finally, I no longer have to keep two phones.

So it really depends on what your needs are. Those should be the basis of a purchase in the first place.
And the XS also brought the iPhone line back to sizes for people that needed a physically bigger phone than the X.

That said, for me, the 12 series was the biggest jump since it finally ditched the curved edges we’ve had since the 6 series.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
only you can really answer that question...depends what you want and if this years features are important enough

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Don't ask me. I'm still a happy iPhone 6s user and only now looking to upgrade because my support is nearing it's end. I hate change and operate under the "If it aint broke don't fix it" rule.
6S still my go to despite having just bought an iPhone mini as back-up.

• Haha
Reactions: BluefinTuna

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Usually it goes the other way around
True but with first battery replacement now faltering and 6S being phased out this year I will again replace the battery and move it to back up position. Fingerprint access has its advantages over masks.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhatRS

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
And the XS also brought the iPhone line back to sizes for people that needed a physically bigger phone than the X.

That said, for me, the 12 series was the biggest jump since it finally ditched the curved edges we’ve had since the 6 series.
I don’t get the fuss about the curved edges. Personally I think they make the phone sit nicely in hand, and no, I never find my iPhone to be slippery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.