Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
My rev C. SSD runs beautifully, for hours and hours, usually without the fan on. Is there any reason for me to upgrade. This is my only computer, and I'm tempted by the old saying: If it ain't broke. . . . .

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
We have it installed on a Rev. A, and don't have any issues at all. Fans seem to operate the same as before. I would imagine the vast majority have the same experience - remember, most posts are negative, so the overall impression is skewed.

phatcat

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
I'm glad I did. You'll immediately experience improved bootup/shutdown times and reclaim some HD space.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
My geekbench scores improved by about 15% when I upgraded. SL has been a fantastic upgrade IMO.

xBench scores go down by a good 20% on Snow Leopard.

I would say wait until Snow Leopard is ready... 10.6.5 or so. I am not happy with Snow Leopard on my rev C. Some apps don't work or aren't supported. In addition it runs hotter and slower.

When Snow Leopard is fixed, and 64-bit kernel is really working, AND apps actually use Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL, AND OpenGL is fixed, then the updates correct all of the problems, THEN and ONLY THEN should we go to Snow Leopard.

I am pretty disappointed in Apple for its release of 10.6 that isn't ready. In the future we will have a reason to switch to SL, but for now Leopard is more refined and works perfectly.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Snow Leopard runs great on my Rev. B Macbook Air. I would say wait until 10.6.2 is out as there are a few nagging issues, but overall it has been a much needed performance boost from 10.5.

jtmav

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2007
I have a rev C w/SL coming from a Rev B without. One of the best improvement for me was the increased WiFi capabilities. On my Rev B I was a bit limited in my house, but with the Rev C and SL I have experienced a larger footprint to get a strong WiFi signal at home. I absolutely love this new Air. I would argue the upgrade to SL is worth it.
YMMV
JTMav

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.