Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Guys,
I have an iPAD 4 since the release date and at the time I paid R$ 100 (today the equivalent to US$ 32 for it, which is even these days expensive, it was correctly applied (and this is a very hard thing to do, I tried myself and failed, loosing the same ammount of money).

I also have a Kindle Paperwhite, which works just fine without this (although in this case no one recommended the use of a screen protector).

The thing is, I always use a microfiber cleaning cloth in this iPAD every single day, even to clean minor things, and using each day for 2 years (never left my home for more than half-dozen opportunities, never lend to anyone else either) it's in very good condition, but I am afraid as much good as it might be, the use of a screen protector in any iPAD will tarnish the image quality of the screen.

I don't know, this is an impression I have, that even the most expensive and better screen protectors, even if correctly applied, should not be used. On the other hand (and this is where I am going with this argument) I am ambivalent if not using a screen protector is a very unwise move, if you wish to use that particular iPAD model for many years, and not just exchange for a newer one in a not much advanced future.

The problem is that once applied you can't exactly remove that screen protector, so we need to make sure of the pros and cons beforehand.

I would appreciate if you guys could give me an input about these screen protectors, what are your experiences or what you know about them.

I pretend to buy the next iPAD that Apple releases, not the current ones. And from what I could tell, the screen looks more alive without a protector and more dull with one.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I put a glass screen protector on my iPad Air 2 the day I bought it. Several months in, an edge chipped. (I use the expensive glass protectors because I don't like cases and tend to just put my iPad in my purse.) I peeled off the glass screen protector. It came off quite easily once the seal broke. Replaced it immediately.

Maybe you're using the wrong screen protectors?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
For my iPad 1 and iPad 2, I used screen protectors. But I noticed that with the introduction of the smartcover, that my screen on the iPad 2 was always protected. I removed the screen protector from the iPad 2 and have been using iPads without screen protectors ever since. I've had my iPad 4 for over 2 years and have only used a smartcover or Logitech keyboard cover... no scratches at all.

I believe that if you'll be the only one using the device and have a cover of some sort then a screen protector isn't necessary.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Regardless of device it's a call that each person has to make based on their preferences and willingness to accept the risk of scratches. You can't answer the question for yourself by asking others. If you want to protect the screen above all else then use a screen protector. If other things are a bigger priority that override the protection of the screen then don't.

You can certainly remove screen protectors and you can certainly find screen protectors that have negligible, if any effect on image quality.

I believe that if you'll be the only one using the device and have a cover of some sort then a screen protector isn't necessary.
A cover helps but will not prevent all scratches. That doesn't mean that one will get a scratch with a cover. It just means that scratches are still possible. Sand, for example, is harder than glass and will scratch it. There are other types of grit that are also harder than glass.

Again, it's a matter of assessing one's preferences and priorities.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
For the record, this is what my iPAD 4 looks like since I bought, I guess 2012, I use on a daily basis for at least 3 years.

The first pictures were taken using another iPAD 4. These were shot with a DSLR. Click in each one to enlarge:

Unfortunately you still won't be able to see how well preserved the screen is, but that only proves it depends on two factors, 1) the quality of the screen protector, and 2) how well it was applied. I am posting this as a response for those who still think their iPADs are going to look like this:

RxcjJH3.jpg

Reactions: AlliFlowers

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I am not currently using a screen protector. My thinking is the screen with a protector will never look as good as a naked screen. Even the best protector, cut to perfect precision will still block or alter some light, simply by it's nature. Since the iPad Air 2 has such a nice screen, I don't want to ruin that experience for myself. Further, I use a case that covers and protects the screen well enough during transport.

Of course, there are exceptions where the naked screen may not be immediately ideal for your use.

One exception to this would be styluses. A grain of sand or hard dust between the stylus and the screen might scratch the coating a bit. When I used a stylus for taking notes (something I no longer use the iPad for), I would have a screen protector.

The other exception would be glare. A very matte screen protector is horrible for colors and vibrancy, but if your use requires a matte screen, then a matte screen protector is the only choice.

xymay

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2015
I have an iPad 4 since 2013, run it without a screen protector but with a leather case, the screen works perfect till now. I onced dropped it on the floor, the frame bezel was damaged in one angle, but nothing happened to the screen. For me, screen protectors are unnecessary for tablets.

RobAus

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
Everywhere
Naked screens for me after years of screen protectors. The better usability multiplied with the low odds of breaking the screen, and a few little scratches I don't think will really hurt the resale either

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.