Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anotherjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
Honolulu
Aloha,
I'm thinking of setting up a website about film release forms for student filmmakers. I would like feedback to be a big part of it and multiple contributors.

I'm torn between setting up a blog or a wiki.

I don't know too much about setting one up.

I was thinking of using a small orange or dreamhost based on the favorable reviews I've seen on this site.

I am not sure about the level of hosting I would need. Is 10gb of bandwidth enough or do I need a virtual private server?

Also, I'm thinking of using either wordpress, mediawiki, or tiddlywiki. I wonder if there are rules preventing me from getting revenue via Google or yahoo's ad services.

Thanks MR community!

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
You'll want to go with a wiki because of its open nature. With a blog, a certain set of authors is expected, but with a wiki, an unlimited number of "authors" is expected—exactly what you want. I'd go ahead with ASO and a tiny or small plan (no need for your own virtual server).

I've had experience with MediaWiki (and I'll be opening up a wiki as soon as the officially announce 1.5) and it's a great wiki with lots of features, and it's relatively easy to set up too if you follow the directions given (it's a web based set up, so no command-line experience needed).

I think I've covered your questions, but you're bound to have more as you go through the process, so post back when you can. :)
-Chase

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You'll need to discuss setting up a wiki with your ISP. From what I've seen, all wiki software needs to be supported and installed on the server by the ISP. They won't necessarily be familiar with all of the wiki software products out there.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
IJ Reilly, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, since he wants it to be hosted externally (which has little to nothing to do with your ISP).

anotherjeff, I have no clue how long it'll be before 1.5 is official. The release candidate versions are perfectly acceptable to use for a wiki, but if you're anything like me, you'll want to make sure you start off with the official version and not a release candidate (but really, it's as if you were a developer with Tiger 8A428, which ended up being the official version).

Don't mind the release dates: the MediaWiki developers move very quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a final 1.5 before the end of September.
-Chase

dhracer88

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2005
If you're shopping for a host, bdarby hosting may be for you. There's a PHPwiki auto install via PLESK too...

This is my personal host, and I've had great support (fast email responses, forums) and service since I signed up in May (member of the free hosting since March). You can't beat the price, unless you go for the free hosting.

From http://www.proweb.cc/hosting/index.htm/
150 MB
10 Gig Data Transfer
PHP Support
3 MySQL Databases
15 Email Accounts
34 Auto Install Scripts (phpBB, osCommerce, etc.)
FrontPage Extensions
Plesk Control Panel

$2.95/mo or $35.40/yr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.