Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
My iPhone 8 is running iOS 14.7.1 and I’ve turned on internet tracker blocking. I use Ad Guard with Safari to browse the web and it all runs speedy and fine. I use DDG for search and private windows.

Recently, I’ve also started using Firefox Focus and quite like it’s minimalism.

I understand that Focus is the best when it comes to blocking all kinds of unwanted trackers. I am not clear as to how it is different from a Safari+an ad blocker combination.

Do these two have the same level of privacy and security, or is Focus better?

Thanks

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Have you looked at DuckDuckGo Browser

Reactions: crf8

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Have you looked at DuckDuckGo Browser

Yes, of course. It's pretty good. From what I gather, Firefox Focus is slightly better? Though, it has lesser functionality.
I think, I'll either stick with Safari with an ad blocker, or go with Focus. Hence, the comparison, as I am not sure where Focus scores over Safari when it comes to privacy and security.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Yes, of course. It's pretty good. From what I gather, Firefox Focus is slightly better? Though, it has lesser functionality.
I think, I'll either stick with Safari with an ad blocker, or go with Focus. Hence, the comparison, as I am not sure where Focus scores over Safari when it comes to privacy and security.
Don’t use Firefox focus browser, use focus as a extension in safari settings, then continue to use safari without any ads. ?

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Don’t use Firefox focus browser, use focus as a extension in safari settings, then continue to use safari without any ads. ?
Can you elaborate a bit on why you say this? The obvious "shortcoming" with Focus is it's one tab feature.
Did you have any other issue in mind?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Can you elaborate a bit on why you say this? The obvious "shortcoming" with Focus is it's one tab feature.
Did you have any other issue in mind?
Do what sigep said.

Go to Safari settings > content blockers > enable firefox focus

then continue using safari.

Brockyneo

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2018
does safari block adds on youtube?

also is the away of safari running 4k hdr in youtube?

thanks

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
does safari block adds on youtube?

also is the away of safari running 4k hdr in youtube?

thanks
Ad blockers find it hard to block ads in YouTube, apparently google has made them come up as videos so the ad blockers can’t detect them.

4K safari YouTube is meant to be working, it’s not working for me though. ?

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Or just install AdGuard ?‍♂️ It’s free and works perfectly without any extra steps needed.
I did and it works great. In fact, Focus blocks even more and I find that it creates issues on some websites, which AdGuard does not.
Since they are free, I have to ask--what is their revenue model?

Reactions: Barbareren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.