Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knights

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I would like to start editing but am not sure on what to buy. Maybe you all can help. I was thinking of buying a Powermac G5 but am skeptical of what I read on Mac's transition to Intel. I like what I read about the iMac but they can't run Final Cut Pro until March.

What is the Rosetta I keep reading about-how much is it and does it work well?

Does anyone have a clue when the new Intel Powermacs will be available?

How do you think the new Macbooks will be for video editing?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
knights said:
What is the Rosetta I keep reading about-how much is it and does it work well?

Rosetta is PPC emulation technology for x86 Macs. It allows you to run "old" (PPC) code on "new" (x86) Macs without recompiling them. There is a speed penalty for this but it's meant to be good enough for most users.

For you though it won't work as Final Cut is not meant to work under it.

knights

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Cool, thanks for the clarification on Rosetta.

Any suggestions on buying an iMac or MacBook or waiting for an Intel chip G5?

Thanks.

localghost

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
do _not_ get an mac/powerBook for editing unless
a) you really need to cut on the go
b) you have a lot of money

you'll always get a better price/performance_space_upgrade ratio on a tower, and you don't have to be afraid to get your nr. 1 mac stolen on a road trip ... .

if half of the conroe/woodcrest hype is true, the new towers will be worth waiting for them.

just my 0.2 €

knights

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
"and you don't have to be afraid to get your nr. 1 mac stolen on a road trip ... ."

What the heck does that mean?

Where do I find conroe/woodcrest hype?

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
First of all...

it will most likely just be an intel powermac, not a intel powermac g5 because the g5 was the processor class, and since the g5 is being replaced with the intels, it will prolly be an intel powermac or a mac pro or whatever shceme apple comes up with. Since they want "mac" in thier names now.

knights

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Cool, thanks for the clarification. I thought is was some Apple lingo.

Does it make sense to buy today's Powermac G5?

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2004
I don't think it makes sense to buy a powermac right now...i would wait it out and see where apple goes with this.

knights

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I hate to wait. But I think it will be worth it. Especially if I'm gonna be flinging 3 grand at it.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2004
Speaking of 3 grand....

Does anyone think that the intel chips will lower the cost of a mac? I know several people who want to make the switch but can't afford it. the mac mini doesn't have enough power for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.