Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agustinbg

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2012
Sounds like it may be awhile before we see an iMac update. The latest article seems to indicate a possible MBP update before years end but there's still no solid info on the iMac update. I may just get a 2015 iMac 27 and call it a day.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/11/mac-sales-continue-to-slide-amid-lack-of-updates/

All the rumors on the MBP forum point towards a iMac Update. The announcement event or press release is around the corner. If you wait and there are no iMac updates, you just wasted a few days; otherwise you will buy an outdated computer and spend extra bucks (2016 money in a 2015 machine that has not dropped in price).

59Burst

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
All the rumors on the MBP forum point towards a iMac Update. The announcement event or press release is around the corner. If you wait and there are no iMac updates, you just wasted a few days; otherwise you will buy an outdated computer and spend extra bucks (2016 money in a 2015 machine that has not dropped in price).

I suppose your right. We'll see what happens.....

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Apple has released a new Mac every October for several years now so that's pretty much a given. A new MacBook Pro would be the best Mac for Apple's bottom line. If Apple is going to release a new iMac soon then it would make sence to be during the same event/announcement to take advantage of the holiday market.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I'm thinking about getting one in the near future, too, but I'm inclined to wait and see what upgrades happen in the Fall. Another month or two is worth it for me to have a slightly more future-proof machine for the same price.

I'm in the same boat. My 27 inch mid-2010 i5 machine is getting slow, although it is noticeably faster on Sierra than it was on El Cap. Technically, the machine is a dinosaur with USB 2.0, Bluetooth 2.1, and no Thunderbolt ports. It's been very reliable though, so I cannot complain. Once the new iMacs come out, I'm getting one. The 5K Retina displays in the store are amazing! But for now, I just have to wait.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
I can buy a used 2015 27 inch iMac 5k with i5 and m395, 16gb ram, 2TB fusion drive. I believe its the $2300 model. I can buy it for $1500 now. My main purpose is 4k video editing. I'm currently using the MacBook 2015 12 incher. Had the Dell 34 inch ultra wide but it broke after a few months so now feel i need a bigger screen for the heavier duty stuff.

Im hesitant about the 2Tb fusion drive due to loving fast SSD speeds and my MacBook already uses UCB-C which i started accumulating stuff for.

Wait and pay all the extra cash for a new 2016 or get the nice price cut for a slightly used? I'm saving at least $800 on the used.

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I can buy a used 2015 27 inch iMac 5k with i5 and m395, 16gb ram, 2TB fusion drive. I believe its the $2300 model. I can buy it for $1500 now. My main purpose is 4k video editing. I'm currently using the MacBook 2015 12 incher. Had the Dell 34 inch ultra wide but it broke after a few months so now feel i need a bigger screen for the heavier duty stuff.

Im hesitant about the 2Tb fusion drive due to loving fast SSD speeds and my MacBook already uses UCB-C which i started accumulating stuff for.

Wait and pay all the extra cash for a new 2016 or get the nice price cut for a slightly used? I'm saving at least $800 on the used.
Should new iMacs come out in the coming weeks, couldn't you possibly buy the used one now and resell it private party, make at the very least your money back and maybe a couple hundred bucks profit? Break even with the old iMac and use any extra profit as savings toward the brand new one, it's not out of the realm of possibility. And if no new ones come out, at least you still got a great machine at a considerable savings.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Should new iMacs come out in the coming weeks,
The trick is to time the purchase so the new machine doesn't come out 15+ days beyond the purchase price and while everyone expects the iMacs before the end of the month, there's no guarantee that will happen

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
The trick is to time the purchase so the new machine doesn't come out 15+ days beyond the purchase price and while everyone expects the iMacs before the end of the month, there's no guarantee that will happen
Oh of course, I agree, that's why I said should and not when :) And whatever happens, 1500 is a great deal for that machine especially if it's in great condition.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm still hanging in there gggrrrr :)
Not for nothing, I planned on getting an iMac on Black Friday, so if you think about it from that perspective, then you have to wait anyways. I'm glad I did, I saved more money that way, but I certainly can empathize.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
This is tough, but I know it's worth it. Luckily it's not something I need, it's just something I want!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.