Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
My wife's MacBook Pro (late 2008) is refusing to talk to her new iPhone SE (10.1.1) (coming up with invalid response error) and after googling the issue have deleted the files in the lockdown folder but it still won't talk.

She only upgraded to Lion (10.7.5) so her iTunes is limited to version (12.2.2.25) and she cannot upgrade beyond as her mac is too old for Sierra, and Apple has removed older OS's from the store...

Is there anything my wife can do, or has she been dropped by the great Apple train?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You need the newest version of iTunes in order for it to talk to an iPhone running iOS 10.1.1, iTunes 12.2.2.25 won't cut it unfortunately. While her MacBook Pro can't be updated to Sierra it is still possible to update it to El Capitan which does support the latest version of iTunes. Follow the information in this link for information on how to upgrade to El Capitan: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Note that it is possible to do most things on an iPhone without ever having to sync with iTunes on a computer. If she doesn't want to update the OS on her Macbook it may be possible to accomplish everything she wants to do without the update.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
You need the newest version of iTunes in order for it to talk to an iPhone running iOS 10.1.1, iTunes 12.2.2.25 won't cut it unfortunately. While her MacBook Pro can't be updated to Sierra it is still possible to update it to El Capitan which does support the latest version of iTunes. Follow the information in this link for information on how to upgrade to El Capitan: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Note that it is possible to do most things on an iPhone without ever having to sync with iTunes on a computer. If she doesn't want to update the OS on her Macbook it may be possible to accomplish everything she wants to do without the update.

Thanks bodonnell202, updating to El Capitan as we speak.

It's going to be highly annoying in a couple of years time when my wife can't update her iOS (so will be getting the daily message about updating) because Apple have decreed her mac can't talk to it anymore. What is the point of the longevity of mac hardware, when the software makes it useless? With the weekend hike in UK prices we certainly won't be buying a mac again.

Sorry for the OT rant. Really annoyed at Apple today with this problem I've spent 3 hours trying to fix.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.