Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
My new Motorola phone has been going crazy with updates in the few days since i purchased it. For instance, three system updates on the 15th and four on the 16th alone, with each update requiring a fresh restart. I never encountered this on my Samsung phone or even on the Motorola phone i owned before that. How does anyone get anything done if they're constantly updating and restarting their phone like this? I can turn off smart updates, but then I risk missing some important security patch or other ....Any advice appreciated.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It depends on when the Motorola phone you bought was originally released. If it is a model from last year then it would need to send several updates to catch up to now.

You can check Motorola 's update matrix to see how long your device will be supported with updates.

Unfortunately since Lenovo took over Motorola the software support has degraded. They barely update devices for two years. If you buy a tablet from them good luck.

The behavior you experienced seems normal for a phone that you bought new but was originally released a while ago.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
My new Motorola phone has been going crazy with updates in the few days since i purchased it. For instance, three system updates on the 15th and four on the 16th alone, with each update requiring a fresh restart. I never encountered this on my Samsung phone or even on the Motorola phone i owned before that. How does anyone get anything done if they're constantly updating and restarting their phone like this? I can turn off smart updates, but then I risk missing some important security patch or other ....Any advice appreciated.
If it's out of the box, it might need several updates if they're not cumulative to catch up to the latest version available. And there are multiple updates on Android. There's the OS itself, there's security patches, there's Google Play System update, and there's the Play Store itself that can self-update. Any of those would/might require a reboot. Google Play System Update might even require multiple reboots. Not unusual if it just happens one time/session.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.