Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
many people buy a mini specifically because it doesn't come with any peripherals.

from the mini's marketing page:
Because Mac mini is so small, it can be just about anything you want it to be. And be amazing at it, too. Officially, Mac mini is a desktop computer. But because it can go places no other desktop can go, it’s been used everywhere from boats to server rooms, as the heart of an entertainment center — and even to power robots.

apple also uses the mini's lack of peripherals to upsell you to the imac which includes everything.

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
many people buy a mini specifically because it doesn't come with any peripherals.

Because Mac mini is so small, it can be just about anything you want it to be. And be amazing at it, too. Officially, Mac mini is a desktop computer. But because it can go places no other desktop can go, it’s been used everywhere from boats to server rooms, as the heart of an entertainment center — and even to power robots.

apple also uses the mini's lack of peripherals to upsell you to the imac which includes everything.

Okay so how do they expect you to use it?

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
with an existing keyboard, mouse and display you already have. if using as a server, you may only need a k/m/d for the initial setup and then unplug everything, or just connect over the network using remote desktop software. same for htpc, but use a display and remote afterwards.

remember, the initial marketing appeal for the mini when it first came out in 2005 was BYOKMD (bring your own keyboard, mouse, display) or something like that.

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia

i agree about the upselling of the imac.
For me i find it very hard to use a mac without an apple keyboard.
you shouldn't have to pay full price for a apple keyboard when you buy a mini.

Arline

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
Bundling Mac Mini with keyboard and mouse = Forcing people to pay the extra $70 for keyboard and mouse.

I like Mac Mini because it's cheap and without any accessory. If people need keyboard/mouse they can pay them themselves..

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
No. The Apple mouse and keyboard stink.

If they can do it very cheaply - then it might be OK.

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA
Bundling Mac Mini with keyboard and mouse = Forcing people to pay the extra $70 for keyboard and mouse.

I like Mac Mini because it's cheap and without any accessory. If people need keyboard/mouse they can pay them themselves..

Agree~~and it helps with the "transition" that I was able to use my old keyboard (which is pretty nice one after all) though I did mark "CMD" and "OPT" under the corresponding Window keys:D

I don't use many keyboard shortcuts~if I did then a mac keyboard might be a better deal but this old dog is past learning new tricks.

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Definitely. At the price that it is now it should include the wireless keyboard and magic mouse. After adding those two it is quite a bit more expensive!
signature_silverapple.jpg

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
At $700, it sure as he'll better have a mouse/keyboard and/or Apple Remote included.

The Mini has gotten way way too expensive.

A C2D still??? Really Apple?

This machine at this price isn't getting any "pc switchers" and it is way too expensive for HTPC use. Not to mention that C2D may still not play all 1080 smoothly.

Beautiful case. That's about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.