Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Recently purchased an iPhone 12 Pro, moving from an iPhone 7. Both running IOS 14. I have restored my iPhone 12 from the iPhone 7 backup (backup created on my MacBook). I just assumed that the tabs I had running on the iPhone 7 would appear open on the iPhone 12? Am I wrong in thinking this, I just had a feeling this is what I experienced when I moved from my iPhone 5 to iPhone 7.... could be completely wrong!

The only place that the websites appear is when you click the tab button and it lists all websites across my iPad/MacBook/and iPhone over iCloud. But I would have to open each one manually... which could take a while given the number...

I find it odd that it lists all my tabs (on iCloud) from my old iPhone considering I have signed out of iCloud on it. To complicate things, if I have an open tab on my iPhone 12, and I look at my tabs on my iPad or MacBook it will list two different iPhones(1) and (2)... (1) being the iPhone 7.... apologies for any confusion.

Thanks in advance for any help. Its been 4 years since my last upgrade, things feel alien and maybe they shouldn't.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
The only place that the websites appear is when you click the tab button and it lists all websites across my iPad/MacBook/and iPhone over iCloud. But I would have to open each one manually... which could take a while given the number...
Correct, this is how iCloud Tabs works. It’s a sharing, not syncing function — I even mistakenly referred to it as syncing when I posted this reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam-Jobs

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Thank you kindly sir! I’ll just have to open them manually which isn’t an issue, it’ll just take me a while longer. Thanks again.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
if I have an open tab on my iPhone 12, and I look at my tabs on my iPad or MacBook it will list two different iPhones(1) and (2)... (1) being the iPhone 7
It sounds like the 7 and the 12 have the same name and iCloud is identifying them individually with 1 and 2. Try changing the name of the 12. As far as the 7 still showing up despite being signed out of iCloud, I’m seeing the same thing with an iphone no longer on my account. I think it will disappear in time.

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
It sounds like the 7 and the 12 have the same name and iCloud is identifying them individually with 1 and 2. Try changing the name of the 12. As far as the 7 still showing up despite being signed out of iCloud, I’m seeing the same thing with an iphone no longer on my account. I think it will disappear in time.
Thanks, will give this a go! wishing you well.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Thanks, will give this a go! wishing you well.
Also worth mentioning that the iPhone I removed from my account that is still showing up in safari tabs still has a backup in iCloud and I suspect once I delete it the tabs in safari will disappear. Im just not ready to pull the trigger on that yet to verify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.