Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Hi,

In iOS6 there's an option in notification centre for certain apps like messages and e-mail, where you can show a preview of the message in alerts/banners. There's also a 'show in lock screen' option.

Are these options both present in iOS7?

If so, and you disable 'show in lock screen,' but enable 'show preview,' does this show a preview in the notification bar when you view it from the lock screen?

Ideally I'd like my banners to show a preview when the phone is unlocked, but not show a preview when it's locked (but still show the notification in the bar - just not a preview). Just trying to see if this is possible.

It may be that this has all completely changed in iOS 7.. if so, I'd be grateful if someone could explain how it now works.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
As far as I can tell it works exactly the same in iOS 7 as in iOS 6.

In iOS 6 though you can't access the notification bar from the lock screen. Does it show previews when you view it from the lock screen if you have 'show preview enabled' but 'show in lock screen' disabled?

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
In iOS 6 though you can't access the notification bar from the lock screen. Does it show previews when you view it from the lock screen if you have 'show preview enabled' but 'show in lock screen' disabled?

The fact that you can access the notification center from the lock screen doesn't change anything :). It works exactly the same.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The fact that you can access the notification center from the lock screen doesn't change anything :). It works exactly the same.
I'm not sure that's exactly the case. I've noticed that some notifications I have that appear in the notification center when the phone is unlocked do not appear there when it is locked--so likely the setting that controls whether or not a notification is shown on the lock screen affects whether or not it is shown in notification center on the locked screen (assuming you have it enabled).

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I'm not sure that's exactly the case. I've noticed that some notifications I have that appear in the notification center when the phone is unlocked do not appear there when it is locked--so likely the setting that controls whether or not a notification is shown on the lock screen affects whether or not it is shown in notification center on the locked screen (assuming you have it enabled).

That makes sense.

Hopefully they'll add more control in the future. It makes sense to have the preview when the phone is unlocked, but hide it when the phone is locked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.