Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Well if Apple isn't willing to accept this as a problem, why not make it more public than ever. Show them right in their face, that there is a problem. This will also persuade Apple and her certified distributors that despite there isnt an official policy on substituting these machines, that there actually is a problem that should be dealt with!
So lets make a blog or site on this matter. Anyone willing to help on this? I'm just point out and idea, maybe crazy, i love Apple actually, but this problem is keeping me from buying a 15" led MBPro and by not accepting it as a problem the authorized distributors in countries in Europe will not fix this, and even if one gets a substitute no one guarantees that it will be problem free!
Power to the users!

pinwanger

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
why don't you email CNN or something...with all the big Apple hype I am sure any info will be big news.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
why don't you email CNN or something...with all the big Apple hype I am sure any info will be big news.
I'm not after harming Apple, I'm here to make her see more brightly how she keeps us disappointed and away from having our favorite machines. I know you are joking about CNN but anyway, joke taken, still we have to do something about it, something important, all now she sees is numerous users on a rumor forum, mercy. She knows theres a problem, but she can hide behind the fact of unoficiality.
Power to the users! ;)

mrblu

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
me too

I also am going to wait another month or so to see if Apple addresses this problem before I spend almost $3,000 for a new MBP 15". There isn't an Apple forum I've found that doesn't have a thread or two on this yellow problem. Some people have had good luck getting replacements, others not.

What I think the current situation is:

Screens made by LG don't have this problem.

Some computers made between weeks 28 and at least through week 36 show the bottom third or so as definetly more yellow than the rest.

Color calibrators can only hide the problem by setting the whole screen to a darker tone, but then whites are not really white. As the problem only affects the bottom part of the screen, no color calibrator can really fix the problem, as they change the entire screen, not just part of it.

This is not a matter of viewing the screen at an angle and seeing a slight yellow tint over the whole screen because of the extreme angle, this yellow is visible from a front, normal viewing perspective.

Apple is aware of the problem.

Anyone have more info on this?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I also am going to wait another month or so to see if Apple addresses this problem before I spend almost $3,000 for a new MBP 15".
And what if Apple doesnt address the problem? What would you do then? Still spend 3.000 and buy the defective display?

Not true, ive tested at least 2 MBPros with LG screens that have the problem!

Apple is aware of the problem.
Are you kidding me? Of course Apple is aware of the problem, it was never an issue whether she is aware or not, point is is she officially showing her awareness or not? And she isnt! So what are we gonna do about it?

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
TIP: Go to an apple store, buy your MBP, open the box, turn on the computer. IF you get the bottom 3rd yellow whatever you want to call it, ask for a replacement. IF you do not get the bottom yellow, pack your box, and drive home.

You do not have to carry the burden of your own personal vendetta against Apple, they KNOW there is a problem with the screens, and they WILL fix it.

Lastly, APPLE is a company. Companies are not individuals. Hence, Apple is not a 'she'.

Cookiemonster

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
in the desert somewhere
TIP: Go to an apple store, buy your MBP, open the box, turn on the computer. IF you get the bottom 3rd yellow whatever you want to call it, ask for a replacement. IF you do not get the bottom yellow, pack your box, and drive home.

You do not have to carry the burden of your own personal vendetta against Apple, they KNOW there is a problem with the screens, and they WILL fix it.

Lastly, APPLE is a company. Companies are not individuals. Hence, Apple is not a 'she'.

I am quite curious as to why your defending a defect on their behalf. If they KNEW about it shouldn't they have fixed it LONG ago- its been 4 months today since the screens were updated and people are still having this problem, apparently Apple doesn't seem to give a rats @$$ to pass along the defect. They should have either made it official or fixed the problem in its entirety and neither have happened. Its disappointing for a $2000+ notebook to come in such conditions. I waited till September to buy my notebook and lo and behold a defective yellow screen so I sent it back. I don't think Apple should have upgraded if they were unable to ensure screen manufacturers would deliver quality screens.
Sure if you want a standard go to the store, but what if you want to customize- is that the consumers fault?...
This isnt a personal attack as much as I'm discussing my irritation with Apple-

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX

Some computers made between weeks 28 and at least through week 36 show the bottom third or so as definetly more yellow than the rest.

I may be misinterpreting this, but I have a Samsung screen and it does not have any defect.
And my machine is a week 23 machine.

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
I am quite curious as to why your defending a defect on their behalf. If they KNEW about it shouldn't they have fixed it LONG ago- its been 4 months today since the screens were updated and people are still having this problem, apparently Apple doesn't seem to give a rats @$$ to pass along the defect. They should have either made it official or fixed the problem in its entirety and neither have happened. Its disappointing for a $2000+ notebook to come in such conditions. I waited till September to buy my notebook and lo and behold a defective yellow screen so I sent it back. I don't think Apple should have upgraded if they were unable to ensure screen manufacturers would deliver quality screens.
Sure if you want a standard go to the store, but what if you want to customize- is that the consumers fault?...
This isnt a personal attack as much as I'm discussing my irritation with Apple-

I'm not defending Apple's defects or methods. I myself have had a chance to experience defective products, and I Know it is a terrible experience. I am, though, criticizing the Original Poster's methods of getting Apple's attention. He/She said he/she was waiting for Apple to fix the defects in order to buy a MBP. He or She did not in fact (or at least, did not specify) buy an Apple computer, which implies, he/she did NOT receive a defective product. Still, he or she plans to start a crusade against Apple. See my point? I am not against people voicing their opinions, very much the opposite in fact. I am against, though, of people protesting and criticizing a product they have yet to try themselves.

Maybe I am wrong and the Original Poster did experience a 'bad apple', so I apologize for that. In which case, I advise you NOT to start a blog, since that wont make anyone think of you seriously.

I hate being gender neutral.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I'm not defending Apple's defects or methods. I myself have had a chance to experience defective products, and I Know it is a terrible experience. I am, though, criticizing the Original Poster's methods of getting Apple's attention. He/She said he/she was waiting for Apple to fix the defects in order to buy a MBP. He or She did not in fact (or at least, did not specify) buy an Apple computer, which implies, he/she did NOT receive a defective product. Still, he or she plans to start a crusade against Apple. See my point? I am not against people voicing their opinions, very much the opposite in fact. I am against, though, of people protesting and criticizing a product they have yet to try themselves.

Maybe I am wrong and the Original Poster did experience a 'bad apple', so I apologize for that. In which case, I advise you NOT to start a blog, since that wont make anyone think of you seriously.

I cannot get an Apple product from an Apple store cause in the country where i live, there are no Apple stores, only authorized distributors. The problem with authorized distributors is that they will not repeat not replace a product simply because there is no official Apple guidance to do so, do u understand this? I hope im clear!.
The situation here (doesnt matter where) is hilarious, i went into two different Apple reselers and checked the led MBPros they have in their stores, well, guess what, both had the problem and none of the sales men accepted what i showed them as a problem (i had the two test jpgs black & white with me to check)

And yes i dont own a MBPro to be dissatisfied as you said, but that doesnt mean i have to get one to make sure there is a problem! I would certainly get one if i knew that in case of a defect there would be a replacement, not that this would be ok still. We shouldnt be making experiments to see if what is bought really works or not. Paying a 3.000$ for a laptop is expected to work! But even so, this doesnt seem to be the case here!

So closing i believe i have every right to make a situation to protect Apple customers specially ones that don't buy Apple products from Apple stores but from reselers! Actually if you come to think about it, im helping Apple protect her reputation cause it seems she is doing nothing for it!

About the his/hers thing, you are hilarious standing on this and trying to make a point out of this. I don't mean anything out of this, its just a lack of good English thing, so just let this pass its not out main issue here!

Finally if you believe there are better ways to attract Apples attention on this, honestly im all ears. On the other hand i bet you have nothing to suggest, cause you'd already should have done, plus i think you don't want to suggest anything cause u seem pretty sure Apple will fix this!
Actually im beginning to feel u might be working for Apple! Honestly thats fine, i just hope you are in the higher ranks so at least our voice might reach higher if it isnt there already!
Steve is it you? What the heck have you been doing for the last 4months, on vacation :rolleyes:

Not-a-cliche

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
I'm not after harming Apple, I'm here to make her see more brightly how she keeps us disappointed and away from having our favorite machines. I know you are joking about CNN but anyway, joke taken, still we have to do something about it, something important, all now she sees is numerous users on a rumor forum, mercy. She knows theres a problem, but she can hide behind the fact of unoficiality.
Power to the users! ;)

Apple has a gender? :confused:

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
About the his/hers thing, you are hilarious standing on this and trying to make a point out of this. I don't mean anything out of this, its just a lack of good English thing, so just let this pass its not out main issue here!
Steve is it you? What the heck have you been doing for the last 4months, on vacation :rolleyes:

Zoran, you do pretty good with English as a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) language. I don't blame you a bit for not wanting to get a product you won't have the option of returning. I would guess your only option would be to continue to check out the resellers and check new models as they get them in. Maybe you'll find one that doesn't have the problem, then you don't have to deal with the sales people. As long as apple buys components from 3rd parties (and they can't afford not to), there will likely always be various glitches in manufacturing quality. I agree though, Apple should acknowledge it.

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting

Pardon me for being a "grammar police." When I used "his or her" i was referring to you, since I don't know if you are a female, or a male. In which case I try to be as neutral with my choice of words as possible. I am not trying to make a point out of it, I am just trying to make a correction.

Finally if you believe there are better ways to attract Apples attention on this, honestly im all ears. On the other hand i bet you have nothing to suggest, cause you'd already should have done, plus i think you don't want to suggest anything cause u seem pretty sure Apple will fix this!

Again, If you use any ways to 'reach' Apple, when you yourself have yet to get a 'bad' laptop, you will just be laughed at, by Apple, and any other company/news media outlet.

If you do decide to do something about it though, i would say, Contact the Better Business Bureau equivalent of your country (if there's one, that is).

Actually im beginning to feel u might be working for Apple! Honestly thats fine, i just hope you are in the higher ranks so at least our voice might reach higher if it isnt there already!

Is working at Apple as sin around this boards or what? Right, now I have to battle against the social stigma that comes from working at Apple as well. <sarcasm />

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
OMG the yellow screen issue so getting SO OLD

Cant we just drop it???

Posting thread after thread isnt going to change anything...

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Then don't click or respond to the posts

Jeff

i just hate looking at the thread view and seeing evey other FREAKING THREAD having something to do with the yellow screens

OBVIOUSLY i dont click them to read them if im so annoyed by it:rolleyes:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If you do decide to do something about it though, i would say, Contact the Better Business Bureau equivalent of your country (if there's one, that is).
I spoke about that allready but apparently you are not reading
The situation here (doesnt matter where) is hilarious, i went into two different Apple reselers and checked the led MBPros they have in their stores, well, guess what, both had the problem and none of the sales men accepted what i showed them as a problem (i had the two test jpgs black & white with me to check)

Is working at Apple as sin around this boards or what? Right, now I have to battle against the social stigma that comes from working at Apple as well. <sarcasm />
Who ever said that anyway? So i take it you work for Apple? We better speak about the rest prv!

G. I.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
I cannot get an Apple product from an Apple store cause in the country where i live, there are no Apple stores, only authorized distributors. The problem with authorized distributors is that they will not repeat not replace a product simply because there is no official Apple guidance to do so, do u understand this? I hope im clear!.

True. Buying Apple products in countries with only distributors like in Eastern Europe is a big risk. If you got some defective crap and Apple doesn't officially admit the problem you're screwed. And Apple obviously won't officially admit the yellow bottom screen problem to avoid call back.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
True. Buying Apple products in countries with only distributors like in Eastern Europe is a big risk. If you got some defective crap and Apple doesn't officially admit the problem you're screwed. And Apple obviously won't admit the yellow bottom screen problem officially to avoid call back.
Thanx for understanding my point my friend! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.