Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smartbot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Initially, I thought about putting the Mac Studio under the desk, but after seeing it in person I decided to put it next to the display. You also get easy access to all the ports.

Also, I have to say this height-adjustable stand is completely worth the extra cost! I am coming from a iMac Pro and I didn't realize what I was missing. I am finally able to see the display at eye level (without using the tilt feature). The height adjustment mechanism is solid and well built (probably very similar to the Pro Display version). I am not sure I could ever go back to another iMac / tilt-only display!

Here is my setup:

IMG_1753.jpeg
IMG_1752.jpeg

Last edited:

smartbot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Thanks guys. How is everyone else doing their setup? Initially I thought about hiding the Mac Studio under the desk. But now that I see it in person I actually like having it out (and you get easy access to all the ports).

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Even though this stand is more $$$, it is totally worth it! I am coming from a iMac Pro and I didn't realize what I was missing. I am finally able to see the display at eye level (without using the tilt feature). The height adjustment mechanism is solid and well built (probably very similar to the Pro Display version). I am not sure I could ever go back to another iMac / tilt-only display!

Congrats on your purchase. But I have a height adjustable desk that cost a hella lot less than $400? Pictures to come.

H-P.

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2015
@DennisdeWit Nice setup!

How is the Studio? What is your experience with the fans and the level of sound coming from them? Apparently there are some users on this forum complaining about the noise at idle.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
@DennisdeWit Nice setup!

How is the Studio? What is your experience with the fans and the level of sound coming from them? Apparently there are some users on this forum complaining about the noise at idle.
Thanks!

To be fair, I have not heard the fans spinning at all. I even ran an update to the latest macOS version AND installed Homebrew, npm and React Native. I will keep an ear (ha-ha) on it, but for now things are great. ;)

For the record: I have the base model.

H-P.

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2015
Thanks!

To be fair, I have not heard the fans spinning at all. I even ran an update to the latest macOS version AND installed Homebrew, npm and React Native. I will keep an ear (ha-ha) on it, but for now things are great. ;)

For the record: I have the base model.
Good to hear. I also ordered the base model, I'm looking forward to it!

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Mine is still a work in progress.

I discovered that Orbiter will not run on Apple Silicon, under Parallels, UTM, or Crossover. (In fairness, I did not expect that it would.) So, I will be keeping my 5K Retina iMac. That meant finding room for an additional computer, which meant cleaning my office…

In the course of cleaning the office, I found a few items that had been misplaced or forgotten over the years: Two weather stations, a digital microscope, a multimeter still in the original packaging, and a portable EKG. I also found two bottles of ferrofluid, both leaking, so I had a bit of a mess to clean up.

Reactions: illitrate23

upipes

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2019
Galicia
Nice pics!
Would you be so kind to show us the System Report? I'm curious to see how many thunderbolt busses there are on M1 Ultra systems.

e-dub

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2011
Just waiting for it to get here!

Edit: hidden away inside the desk I have: the cables for the audio interface, an nvme drive in a Thudnerbolt enclosure for fast storage, an nvme in a USB enclosure for deejay stuff backup, a HDD to use as a time capsule all hooked up to an OWC Thunderbolt dock. There are other things hooked up to the dock as well, like that mic on the desk, ethernet and the display - but the display will be hooked up straight to the computer when it gets here. Also a power strip to power everything.

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.