Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arri

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
i dont really call it my network, but i guess it is...

Where I Work. you likely cant see the Wireless Linksys router sitting on the PowerMac that lets me roam with the dualcore HP Laptop. the homebuilt quad workstation on the left dual boots Vista, and XP. Vista is useless. i disconnected its drive cables as it isnt worth spinning up each day? chances are good the PowerMac will not be there in Jan 09, but will add a nehalem Mac Pro to the mix. knock on wood, and jump around...

Attachments

• My Movie Studio 2.jpg
    My Movie Studio 2.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 954

tr0jan

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
ok i know its offtopic but again:

we write 8,2 and say 8 comma 2 not 8 point 2 :)

so its okay and not confusing ^^

Bwa

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Boston & San Jose
Here's mine. Still haven't moved in the rest of the test equipment because I haven't gotten around to putting in an A/C into the closet, so some of the test and infrastructure gear is out in the room.

Looking at changing the switches over to a 48 port 3com at some point, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

And no, the thing with the phone wires is not a modem, it's a VoIP adapter. :) The phone line going into the wall is an extension that runs to my desk.

The 5 port switch with crossover cables (orange) are a DMZ network outside of the firewall (the cheap D-Link). DNS, DHCP, and network monitoring are provided by a computer elsewhere; the D-Link does only NAT.

Click to enlarge.

network.jpg

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Here's mine. Still haven't moved in the rest of the test equipment because I haven't gotten around to putting in an A/C into the closet, so some of the test and infrastructure gear is out in the room.

Looking at changing the switches over to a 48 port 3com at some point, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

And no, the thing with the phone wires is not a modem, it's a VoIP adapter. :) The phone line going into the wall is an extension that runs to my desk.

The 5 port switch with crossover cables (orange) are a DMZ network outside of the firewall (the cheap D-Link). DNS, DHCP, and network monitoring are provided by a computer elsewhere; the D-Link does only NAT.

Click to enlarge.

network.jpg

That looks awesome. I like the little Cabniet that you have the rack mount switch in. That cable management looks great too. If you don't mind me asking, what are you running on that monitor there?

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
A basic home network with a modem connected to the AirPort Extreme Base Station, providing wireless internet to my MacBook and file sharing from the Dell PC. The 2 Nintendo DS's are also included in the network.

Attachments

• Wireless Network.png
    Wireless Network.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 465

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
here's that small network of mine:

What I have here is a Macbook and a Nintendo DS connected wirelessly to the Internet via a cheap Netgear router.
The Macbook is connected (when needed) via VPN to my workplace.

Those harddrives down there indicate my future plans to integrate some network storage.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
New router for the internal segment of the network. Linksys RV082.

[IMG-booya]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3209/2856147202_a50178d217.jpg[/IMG]

I like how the phone's there, in case of server emergencies? :p

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Here's ours.
Our Network.jpg
The 10 ethernet connections and the Linksys WRT-300N are for guest use as my parents operate a Inn. The Linux is also connected to a few modems and other boxes but I don't know anything about them as it was set up before we got here.

The D-Link is our personal network which I set-up. Hope to add external HD to the router someday as backup/storage solution.

Bwa

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Boston & San Jose
I like how the phone's there, in case of server emergencies? :p

*laugh*, no, it's the 2nd phone line for my girlfriend's office. She has a 2nd extension to her desk from that phone, but I didn't drop a phone line for her to the office because she doesn't use it enough to warrant putting in a phone drop.

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
Okay, I think this is everything. I also have a DSL modem still in use with the network, making two wireless networks. I have a lot of interference issues in my apartment due to the high number of wireless signals around here, so sometimes I have to switch the network to "wireless n only." The cable network runs 30 mbps down via ethernet, and 21 mbps down via wireless. About 1.5 mbps up.

my_network.jpg

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
what app are you all using to make these layouts-they are really cool!

That was asked at least once earlier...most of the time it's just a graphics program, like Photoshop, Fireworks, or Illustrator. I used Fireworks to make mine -- product images were grabbed from around the web.

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
That was asked at least once earlier...most of the time it's just a graphics program, like Photoshop, Fireworks, or Illustrator. I used Fireworks to make mine -- product images were grabbed from around the web.

Yeah, I used Illustrator. Gotta love the fact that all of these products have images online with white backgrounds.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I have a utility room with my servers in them:

27092008119.jpg

Top Left server: HP Dual Core Xeon 2.3ghz / 2gb RAM / x2 750gb x2 250gb Windows Server 2003 R2

Top Right server: HP Dual Core Xeon 2.3ghz / 2gb RAM / x2 250gb
FreeBSD 7.0

Bottom Server: Intel Pentium 4 2.8ghz / 1gb RAM / x2 200gb + x1 120gb
FreeBSD 6.4

Switch is a netgear Gigabit Switch, that go around the house to various devices using a mixture of Wifi and Ethernet.

x1 Apple Dual G5 1.8ghz - Gigabit Ethernet
x1 Siemens Pentium 4 Desktop - Gigabit Ethernet
x1 AMD XP 2400+ Desktop - 100baseTX Eternet
x1 Intel Quad Core Desktop - Gigabit Ethernet
x1 HP Laptop - 5ghz 802.11n (WifiNet1)
x1 Apple Powerbook G4 - 2.4ghz 802.11b/g (WifiNet2)
x1 Apple Macbook Pro - 5ghz 802.11n (WifiNet1)
x1 Apple Airport Extreme (n) - Gigabit Ethernet (WifiNet1)
x1 Apple Timecapsule 500gb - Gigabit Ethernet (WifiNet1)
x1 Apple Airport Base Station - 100baseTX (WifiNet2)
x1 D-Link Router - Gigabit (WifiNet2)
x2 Buffalo 802.11bg Access Points - 100baseTX (WifiNet2)
x2 Nokia N95 8GB Phones - WifiNet2
x1 PS3 - WifiNet2
x1 Nintendo Wii - WifiNet2
x1 iPod Touch - WifiNet2
x1 Canon Wifi Printer - WifiNet2

I keep the Pre-N devices on a different freq and network to the 802.11b/g devices to keep them quicker. Pre-N network uses IAS based authentication by the Windows 2003 Server AD.

DHCP is handled by the HP FreeBSD Box and so is DNS (With Dynamic Updates + Transfers to the Win2003 Server).
E-Mail is provided through Exchange 2003 on the Windows Server.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Setup at uni, This accounts for everyone in my flat group, although there is another guy in the group who uses it as well, and I'm pretty sure he's given the wireless code out to his group too... (I couldn't remember the makes of the other 2 girls laptops, so they remain generic :p)

Attachments

• uni network setup.jpg
    uni network setup.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 421

nappulaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Bit a messy setup. But You´ll get the idea.. All phones and laptops are connected via wlan.

Attachments

• mynetworkxxd.jpg
    mynetworkxxd.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 395

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
networksy9.jpg

- Modem to D-Link 4500 which prioritizes traffic on the AirPort Extreme
- AirPort Extreme has hardwire connections to the Xbox 360 and iMac
- The Brother Laser Printer is a printer for all machines on the network (wireless printing for two MacBooks, and through the hardwire connection for the iMac)
- DGL-4500 wireless to PS3 and iPhone
- AirPort Extreme wireless to 2 Macbooks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.