Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
If nothing but "control -- click" pops into your mind, then that advice will not work.

It is imperative that I know how to get into an application's package contents without using "ctrl click". The ctrl key on my iBook is broken.

Yes, I have Applecare, but I would like some sort of a key command, menu option, or drop app.
No, an external keyboard is not an option.
No, a multi-button mouse is not an option.

What are my alternatives?

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
You can always use the Terminal to navigate into the App.

I don't have access to my Mac right now, but doesn't the "Show Package Contents" option appear somewhere in the main menu when an item is selected?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
- King Cobra

The only alternative I can think of is right-clicking with a two button mouse.

However, due to your question, it sounds like you may not have one. But I tried!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
>You can always use the Terminal to navigate into the App.

That is true. I have been able to do that. But is there any way to have the Terminal make that navigation into a Finder window? If so, what is the command for it?

>doesn't the "Show Package Contents" option appear somewhere in the main menu when an item is selected?

Just ctrl -- click

On occassion I do have access to a second mouse, but not all the time. I say this because it belongs to someone else.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by King Cobra
>You can always use the Terminal to navigate into the App.

That is true. I have been able to do that. But is there any way to have the Terminal make that navigation into a Finder window? If so, what is the command for it?

Sure is. The open command (which you can also use to open apps and files) will open the directory contents.

If you are in the Applications folder open iPhoto.app will launch the app. But if you cd iPhoto.app and open Contents you should get a Finder window with the Contents folder in it.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Originally posted by robbieduncan
Sure is. The open command (which you can also use to open apps and files) will open the directory contents.

If you are in the Applications folder open iPhoto.app will launch the app. But if you cd iPhoto.app and open Contents you should get a Finder window with the Contents folder in it.

Exactly. In order to get into, say, iPhoto, you would use.
Code:
open /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents

For some reason, however, this doesn't always work, and you might have to use sudo open/Appl... to get it to work.

If you need to get to the actuall iPhoto.app folder (the one with the Contents folder, and occasionally other things), just hit cmnd-[up arrow] once you are in the contents folder.

BTW, how broken is your ctrl key anyway? Usually if the key has broken off, you can usually still push the button underneath to get it to work.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
>BTW, how broken is your ctrl key anyway? Usually if the key has broken off, you can usually still push the button underneath to get it to work. (GeeYouEye)

The key can be attached or detached. The "ctrl" key capacitor is broken. It needs repairs.

Appreciations for the open command.

Now I need basic Terminal assistance:

How do you navigate out of your home folder, which is the directory Terminal starts up with, into the Hard Drive/Applications/etc. ?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Appreciations, B and robbieduncan.

I also found a hack in the application Transparent Dock. There is an option for folder-app navigation into the package contents.

That is all the help I need for now.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by bousozoku
cd /Applications to get there

and

cd ~ to return to your home folder

Also, you can type cd (followed by a space), and then drag and drop any folder from the Finder into the Terminal -- it will fill in the full pathname at the current cursor position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.