Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How would you show your portfolio work, when having an online interview?
And also what is the best way so that your work isn't stolen from the possible employer or collaborator while having the online interview?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hmm the watermark is a good idea. What if im asked to show my work live? What are my options of making the contact? Share Screen using Skype perhaps, or are there other ways, more professional?

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Is there a reason you can't just send them a link to a portfolio website before the interview? I'd think they'd have reviewed your work in some way already.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
An online portfolio is something I'm afraid of doing purely for safety reasons, not to steal my work etc.
What do you guys think? (the ones of you that share your work through an online portfolio)

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Can't say I've ever worried about that, and pretty much every designer I know has their work in an online portfolio.

For designers that we hire an online portfolio is pretty much expected.

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
Another way of preventing possible theft of work (by which I assume you mean someone grabbing the content and extracting/re-purposing it for their own projects?) is to use low res rasterized versions of your designs (72 dpi JPEGs at a smaller than original size, for example).

This way a prospective employer can easily view your work on screen but they cannot use or reproduce it in any manner that would look good or produce any sort of professional result (which is also a good reason to use watermarks as someone else noted above, if you're inclined to take the time to do that).
[doublepost=1519048486][/doublepost]
Can't say I've ever worried about that, and pretty much every designer I know has their work in an online portfolio.

For designers that we hire an online portfolio is pretty much expected.

Yes. I haven't either, and links to online portfolio content are very convenient. Flickr is a nice tool for this.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Mostly im worried of colleagues that might steal my work to present it as their own in their portfolio! And 72lpi isnt really doing anything in that case :(

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
Mostly im worried of colleagues that might steal my work to present it as their own in their portfolio! And 72lpi isnt really doing anything in that case :(

Oh I see.

Okay, so a few things come to mind:

1) Stop worrying. Worry is a type of fear, and it's a Biblical principle that what you fear will come upon you (Job 3:25).

2) As a practical step, you can put a watermark in your online images as a previous poster suggested. And you can do that in such a way that it can't be easily edited out of the image.

3) If you want to go another step, you can use a service that will allow you to password-protect your image collections (I don't recall of Flickr does that or not). You could then supply the portfolio link along with the password only to the people you want to give access to. Then after you know they don't need access to it anymore, you can change the password.

Reactions: zoran

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
That could potentially happen, in 15+ years as a designer it's happened to me twice. And if it does, so what? There's thousands of projects out there online, if anything it's a compliment that they took my stuff and tried to pass it off as theirs :)

This is like not ever getting in a car because you're worried you might get in a wreck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.