Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Recently installed a shucked WD EasyStore 20TB in my Sonnet Fusion Flex J3i to one of the internal SATA ports (alongside an existing shucked 18TB) and it requires I cold boot in order for the 7,1 to "see it;" any restarts then it's gone.

Anyone else experiencing this issue with the 20's?

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
I resolved this issue by switching the 20TB to the other internal port (top drive slot on the Flex cage). Now I can reboot all day long and the drive on the lower (or middle) Flex cage mounts (I did switch the 18TB for a 16TB as I needed the 18 for my NAS).

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Just a follow-up for anyone experiencing similar issues:

I downgraded my 20TB to a 10TB so I could repurpose the 20TB into one of my NAS's and the warm-boot issue reappeared: this time with the 10TB, which was installed on the top slot formerly hosting the 20TB.

I switched the 16TB to the top slot and 10TB to the "middle" slot on the Flex cage and the warm-boot issue was resolved.

So my take away is this: the largest capacity drive should be installed in the top slot. This equates to internal SATA port 2 if the cable bundle order is manufactured the same as that which came with my Flex cage:

FZYgYdOwOkuojqtI.huge.jpeg

If not, or you are using a different aftermarket kit, then just ensure the largest capacity drive is connected to SATA port 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.