Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Master

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Here is a single Processor quad core 2010 cMP and the seller is in LA.: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-...637315?hash=item3b27226a43:g:jScAAOSwWdNcNtM6

Here is a 2013 MacPro. Nothing too fancy but a little bit out of your range unless you are flexible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-2013...ExHomeDelivery!33844!US!-1:rk:7:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

There are deals out there to be had.

Here is the seller I got my video card from for my 2010 cMP.
https://www.ebay.com/str/upgrademac

That 2013 MP is a decent price. How upgradable is the graphics card?

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
How is the GPU of a Mac mini weaker than an iMac. After looking at the current models they both have about a 3.5ghz quad core gpu. I can understand if the graphics on the Mac mini aren’t sufficient for 4K but the gpu does seem sufficient if an iMac is.

You're getting mixed up between CPUs and GPUs.

CPU = Central Processing Unit = the main chip. Examples include i7, Xeon etc.

GPU = Graphics Processing Unit = a graphics card (e.g. RX580), or the weak graphics processor inside some CPUs.

The mini has a strong CPU (in some configurations), but no dedicated GPU - just the basic one inside the CPU. iMacs have reasonable-to-decent GPUs, in addition to the CPU. As modern GPUs contain thousands of simple processors, repetitive work on large chunks of data (e.g. encoding video) is often handed off to the graphics card, taking a load off the CPU. Without a GPU, the CPU is doing everything, which slows things down.

Last edited:

Graham King

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Oakland, CA
Convert all your video to ProRes while you sleep and any old Mac, including MacBooks can edit 4K. Editing native footage will be frustrating even on an iMac Pro.

Reactions: Synchro3

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
For the op’s budget I’d get a refurb i7/256GB/8GB 2018 Mini refurb, roughly $1050 and update with RAM, and e-GPU when needed. I went this route and have no regrets. I do mostly audio and some light photoshop. I have an rx-580 GPU sitting around to add to an external enclosure at some point. So far I haven’t felt a need to add an e-GPU but will at some point when I have cash to burn. Looking forward to learning more about the Mac Pro in June at WWDC.

B

WrightBrain

macrumors regular
May 30, 2009
I need something to edit my GoPro 7 4k video with and my old comp just doesn't cut it. Should I just buy a mac Mini for now or wait for the new Mac Pro? My main concern with the mac Pro is that its going to be $5,000 and I don't have that kind of loot laying around. I think the mac pro will probably be a bunch of modular pieces that you can mix and match for your individual needs. Like this:

Here’s the thing. The MacPro MIGHT be unveiled in June. And there’s no guarantee it will be on the market soon after. You could buy a mini but you will need an egpu for video editing.

For another option you could go the mid range iMac route or skip the whole thing and go PC. That’s what I did last month and the transition wasn’t as bad as I feared.
[doublepost=1557669994][/doublepost]
Buy a used Mac Pro. There are various complaints about the mini and 4K unless you go eGPU.

Don’t buy a used 2013
That 2013 MP is a decent price. How upgradable is the graphics card?

Only the RAM and SSD are upgradeable.
[doublepost=1557670285][/doublepost]
They did say it was coming in 2019...…
Then again, promises of the AirPower wireless charging mat also spring to mind......lol
They also said it was coming in 2018 after announcing it in 2017.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
I need something to edit my GoPro 7 4k video with and my old comp just doesn't cut it. Should I just buy a mac Mini for now or wait for the new Mac Pro? My main concern with the mac Pro is that its going to be $5,000 and I don't have that kind of loot laying around. I think the mac pro will probably be a bunch of modular pieces that you can mix and match for your individual needs. Like this:

I hope this is not too late to answer your questions.

A lot has to do with your original 4K format videos and at what bit rate and compression they were created in and what sort of software are you planning to use it for.

As a simple rule of thumb is that, if you are using a consumer grade video recorder like the GoPro 7 as opposed to more professional RED or a GH5/GH5s and Sony A7III/A7SII for your 4K footage and you are using exclusively the free iMovie that came with newer Macs and working exclusively with MP4 as opposed to Prores or RAW, then I would recommend you to stick with the Mac Mini 2018 and not the Mac Pro of any kind. One of the benefits of the Mac Mini 2018 is that it has the Coffee Lake CPU as well as the T2 security chip. The Coffee Lake CPU has what Intel called Quicksync which is basically a hardware encoding and decoding device which behaves sort of like a CUDA in the Nvidia graphics card, but it's designed to be efficient in working with H.264 MP4 format. This feature that encode and decode 1080p and 4k video footages at breakneck speed given the right software which supports Intel QuickSync. Also new to the Mac Mini is the new T2 security chip which ALSO acts as a hardware encoder and decoder chip in unison with Quicksync to give you even more turbo boosting 10bit HEVC. So all we are talking about is the consumer grade files produced by consumer grade cameras. The weakness of the Mac Mini is that it uses an Intel GPU which is very weak for professional video apps like FCPX and Davinci Resolve (studio) that need more powerful GPUs and RAM than what the Intel could muster. However, with the introduction of eGPU and TB3, you can actually mitigate this problem with Davinci Resolve Studio by hooking up multiple eGPUs to speed up render times with 4K footage. What the Mac Mini provides is the best of both worlds; both QuickSync + T2 chip plus whatever eGPU you have hooked up. With any Mac Pro, you don't get Quicksync. I'm not sure about the new Mac Pro 2019, but I think likely that it won't have Quicksync. Professionals mostly don't work with consumer grade video equipment and files anyhow.

The Mac Pro machines, in contrast, is more geared towards professional grade files and working with RED RAW and Pro Res files and they are very efficient in ingesting and processing and rendering those files. Which is where the Mac Pro truly shines.
The common misconception I see from a lot of people, who actually bought those Mac Pro 5,1s and now having to sell them and trade them towards the Mac Mini is that, they thought the Xeon can brute force render and transcode faster than the Quicksync and now T2 capable macs. They don't as the consumer grade video software use only Quicksync. Since the Xeons don't have Quicksync, it reverts to pure software encoding and decoding which takes a long long time to do if you use consumer grade software that only utilize Quicksync but don't support any GPU rendering.

So know which software you are using and how much time do you plan to spend on that software to do your video edits. If you spend a lot of time with iMovie and less time on Davinci Resolve; get the Mini and an eGPU and have the best of both worlds. If you spend most of your time on FCPX, Davinci Resolve and Premiere Pro, then the Mac Pro is your best best even with the newer 2019 model since those software don't rely on Quicksync but rather on raw GPU power and multiple CPU cores.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
[QUOTE="WrightBrain, post: 27354790, member: 320163"
[/QUOTE]

Also the CPU. I have changed mine from 6 to 12 core.

Reactions: WrightBrain

WrightBrain

macrumors regular
May 30, 2009
[QUOTE="WrightBrain, post: 27354790, member: 320163"

Also the CPU. I have changed mine from 6 to 12 core.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. The GPU is oddly the one thing you can't then.

creativeguru

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2018
Although you've likely already decided, I thought it might help others who run across this thread to post my recommendation (trying to help).

The 2019 Mini is tempting but a 2019 upgraded iMac is the better ROI. Why? In short, the iMac has a built in great quality 4K monitor and there will be less possible thermal throttling issues with the iMac case rather than the cramped Mac Mini case. (For those who are unfamiliar with thermal throttling that is when a computer runs too hot thus the speed of the computer can significantly drop to protect the components. Electronics need good airflow and to keep cool. It is never a good idea to pack a bunch of electronics that will run hot in a very tight box with very limited airflow (i.e., Mac Mini/MacBook Pro). Something has to give. Not only is there a chance the computer will run slower it will also die sooner than a computer that has good thermal dynamics. Baking electronics = shorter lifespan).

Since I get the sense a restricted budget is in play and your core requirement is to edit GoPro videos (video editing is CPU and GPU intensive = high heat), I definitley recommend an upgraded iMac. If budget is not an issue (up to the absurdly priced Mac Pro) then go with the highest level and maxed out iMac (not iMac Pro). Focus your budget in this order of importance (#1 & #2 is a close call): 1. CPU (i7 or above, NOT an i3, 6-core), 2. Memory (16GB is bare minimum, 32 is standard, more is better), 3. SSD (500GB is a good middle ground; 256 is too little, stay absolutely away from any internal serial ATA HDD because that is ancient and slow technology - hang your head in shame Apple for offering that!).

I priced out the middle level iMac (4K, 3.2GHz 6-core, i7, 16-32GB memory, 500GB SSD). Depending on the memory size, the price will range from $2,200-2,600 +tax. That's totally fair for a good computer. A 256GB SSD is too small for too many reasons to list here. You will definitley need to rely on good external HD storage (buy 1TB SSD storage commonly on sale and a $10 enclosure) for any iMac you buy because the best practice is to put as little strain as possible on the internal iMac HD. The iMac HD is a royal pain to replace because of glue strips and such. You want to avoid that route as long as possible. macOS and core files should be the only ones on the internal iMac HD, other files go to ideally an external SSD drive. Backups go to external HD but you can certainly use a large capacity 8TB drive. (I like Seagate rather than WD. WD will not stand behind their warranty and they are a royal pain to deal with if there is a problem.)

In comparison, a similar Mac Mini (not recommended) will cost $2,200 PLUS you have the cost of a good 4K monitor (another $500) + keyboard ($100), + mouse (good quality, $60-90).... GRAND TOTAL around $2,900! Besides a higher cost, this computer will likley not last as long because of electronics damage from constant high heat.

So, it's a no brainer, the iMac is the better value and ROI. A last comment to note is don't always trust the seemingly "budget" option because when you take a close look at the facts it is usually not the best value. A good example is buying storage (GB). Smaller GB sized hard drives are usually more expensive per GB than a higher capacity drive.

Hope this helps!

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
Although you've likely already decided, I thought it might help others who run across this thread to post my recommendation (trying to help).

The 2019 Mini is tempting but a 2019 upgraded iMac is the better ROI. Why? In short, the iMac has a built in great quality 4K monitor and there will be less possible thermal throttling issues with the iMac case rather than the cramped Mac Mini case. (For those who are unfamiliar with thermal throttling that is when a computer runs too hot thus the speed of the computer can significantly drop to protect the components. Electronics need good airflow and to keep cool. It is never a good idea to pack a bunch of electronics that will run hot in a very tight box with very limited airflow (i.e., Mac Mini/MacBook Pro). Something has to give. Not only is there a chance the computer will run slower it will also die sooner than a computer that has good thermal dynamics. Baking electronics = shorter lifespan).

Since I get the sense a restricted budget is in play and your core requirement is to edit GoPro videos (video editing is CPU and GPU intensive = high heat), I definitley recommend an upgraded iMac. If budget is not an issue (up to the absurdly priced Mac Pro) then go with the highest level and maxed out iMac (not iMac Pro). Focus your budget in this order of importance (#1 & #2 is a close call): 1. CPU (i7 or above, NOT an i3, 6-core), 2. Memory (16GB is bare minimum, 32 is standard, more is better), 3. SSD (500GB is a good middle ground; 256 is too little, stay absolutely away from any internal serial ATA HDD because that is ancient and slow technology - hang your head in shame Apple for offering that!).

I priced out the middle level iMac (4K, 3.2GHz 6-core, i7, 16-32GB memory, 500GB SSD). Depending on the memory size, the price will range from $2,200-2,600 +tax. That's totally fair for a good computer. A 256GB SSD is too small for too many reasons to list here. You will definitley need to rely on good external HD storage (buy 1TB SSD storage commonly on sale and a $10 enclosure) for any iMac you buy because the best practice is to put as little strain as possible on the internal iMac HD. The iMac HD is a royal pain to replace because of glue strips and such. You want to avoid that route as long as possible. macOS and core files should be the only ones on the internal iMac HD, other files go to ideally an external SSD drive. Backups go to external HD but you can certainly use a large capacity 8TB drive. (I like Seagate rather than WD. WD will not stand behind their warranty and they are a royal pain to deal with if there is a problem.)

In comparison, a similar Mac Mini (not recommended) will cost $2,200 PLUS you have the cost of a good 4K monitor (another $500) + keyboard ($100), + mouse (good quality, $60-90).... GRAND TOTAL around $2,900! Besides a higher cost, this computer will likley not last as long because of electronics damage from constant high heat.

So, it's a no brainer, the iMac is the better value and ROI. A last comment to note is don't always trust the seemingly "budget" option because when you take a close look at the facts it is usually not the best value. A good example is buying storage (GB). Smaller GB sized hard drives are usually more expensive per GB than a higher capacity drive.

Hope this helps!
Just curious why not the iMac Pro. I know I had a mid 2010 27" iMac and the video card starting giving out and when I did some research I found this to be a common problem with the 27" models due to thermal management. I priced getting the card replaced from 3 local shops 2 were Apple Certified and the third wasn't certified but had great reviews from people who had their Macs fixed there. The card alone was about $400 and the labor between 150 and 200 dollars and from what read that would lost between 1 year and 3 years depending on use. I personally never shut my systems off unless I'm leaving the house for an extended period of time. (3 days or more). So I took that 600 that the repair would cost added another 200 for a metal video card and purchased a mid 2010 MacPro. I was able to sell the iMac for about 200 dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.