Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Hi, after many iPod-less years I’ve decided to buy a 4th Gen Shuffle (once I find the right one on eBay) for use at the gym. (If I had only kept the one I had way back when!) My question is this -

Would it be possible to transfer music from the Music app on my MacBook Air to the iPod? These are songs I once ripped to iTunes. But I don’t see any folders on my hard drive that look like the old iTunes folders that listed artists and albums etc. At some point I did iTunes Match and I am not sure what I have locally anymore.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
Apple has two things called "Music." One is Music.app, which replaces iTunes. The other is the Apple Music streaming service. You can actually download music from the Apple Music service for offline (non-internet-connected) listening on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. Music files downloaded for offline listening are DRM-protected, and unfortunately that doesn't work with older iPods like the Shuffle.

iTunes match files are your music that you uploaded to Apple and probably aren't DRM-protected. So, if you're still a subscriber and your music is still on Apple's servers, I believe you should be able to download your songs and sync them your iPod.

Any locally-stored music files that were imported from iTunes should be showing up in the album and songs views when you run Music.app on your computer. You can also look in ~/Music/Music/Media. If you don't see folders there which contain mp3 or m4a files, you don't have any imported music.

If you're in the US, besides eBay another place to look for a Shuffle is shopgoodwill.com - just put "ipod shuffle" in the search box. Also, Elite Obsolete Electronics sometimes has used or refurbished Shuffles for sale, although I'm not seeing any listed today. I'm pretty sure that the Shuffle uses a special charging cable which plugs into the headphone jack, so you'll need one of those too.

Old, used iPods can have bad batteries. Those can be replaced, but it's easier said than done for some models. The 4th gen Shuffle isn't one of the easier ones. So if possible, ask about the battery before buying.

Happy hunting.

Reactions: SkippyThorson

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks, this is very helpful.

I am planning to spend a bit more and buy a sealed box so I at least know the device hasn't been used before - despite its age.

Reactions: Grumpus

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks, I have been able to download a number of the iTunes Match songs that I eventually want to put on the iPod - tho I don't have the iPod yet to see if there are issues based on the info above. I noticed that some songs in my Music list now say "No longer available". Even if I have to rip everything it won't be a big deal - this is maybe 10 CDs worth of stuff. I once bought one of those Time Life "Songs of the 60s" boxes and they are good to shuffle at the gym.

Last edited:

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Hi, after many iPod-less years I’ve decided to buy a 4th Gen Shuffle (once I find the right one on eBay) for use at the gym. (If I had only kept the one I had way back when!) My question is this -

Would it be possible to transfer music from the Music app on my MacBook Air to the iPod? These are songs I once ripped to iTunes. But I don’t see any folders on my hard drive that look like the old iTunes folders that listed artists and albums etc. At some point I did iTunes Match and I am not sure what I have locally anymore.

Thank you!
Yeah! It’ll sync your locally stored music just fine, but keep in mind that now that iTunes has been discontinued, the syncing process is now done in Finder instead of the Music app.

Reactions: SkippyThorson

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Thanks, this is very helpful.

I am planning to spend a bit more and buy a sealed box so I at least know the device hasn't been used before - despite its age.
I'd recommend not buying one sealed at this point. The likelyhood of its battery being completely dead and it not charging at all is really high because they have been sitting unused for anywhere from 5-13 years at this point. It's better to buy one that is known to charge currently, despite it being opened. You'll also save some money (and won't have to deal with the aftermath if the sealed one is broken and you can't return it!).

Good luck! Tell us what color you end up with, I'd like to see it. :)

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Sorry Slix that I didn't see your post before I bought my sealed Shuffle! At this point it seems to have charged - tho time will tell if it holds the charge.

I was able to sync music to the iPod via Finder. Rather than trying to download my music from the Music app (the iTunes Match files), I figured it was easier to rip the CDs I cared about - I still have an old Super Drive. Once my muscle memory kicked in (it has been so long since I ripped or burned CDs), the process worked well.

I did note that Voiceover won't work on the iPod (don't care) including the instruction to push the button twice to hear battery status (when the iPod mounts in the Music app I can see that the battery icon is fully green for now).

Thanks to those who responded for all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_4112.jpeg
    IMG_4112.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Sorry Slix that I didn't see your post before I bought my sealed Shuffle! At this point it seems to have charged - tho time will tell if it holds the charge.

I was able to sync music to the iPod via Finder. Rather than trying to download my music from the Music app (the iTunes Match files), I figured it was easier to rip the CDs I cared about - I still have an old Super Drive. Once my muscle memory kicked in (it has been so long since I ripped or burned CDs), the process worked well.

I did note that Voiceover won't work on the iPod (don't care) including the instruction to push the button twice to hear battery status (when the iPod mounts in the Music app I can see that the battery icon is fully green for now).

Thanks to those who responded for all the help!
Good to hear. Did you update the setting for allowing VoiceOver from the Finder window for syncing the iPod? Did it give any type of error? VoiceOver on these iPods is actually quite useful, in my opinion, for any time you hear a song you just aren't sure the name of, and for battery percentages.

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Good to hear. Did you update the setting for allowing VoiceOver from the Finder window for syncing the iPod? Did it give any type of error? VoiceOver on these iPods is actually quite useful, in my opinion, for any time you hear a song you just aren't sure the name of, and for battery percentages.
Thanks. I did update the setting from Finder but will try again. It would very useful for the battery percentage!

Reactions: Slix

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
I was able to set up my "new" Shuffle V4 but have a few charging questions. Unfortunately VoiceOver continues not to work so I'm unable to confirm the charge that way. When I connect the iPod to my laptop (MacBook Air M2) and look at the settings, I see a green battery icon - but when I tried to turn the iPod on this morning I was not hearing any audio. I suspect the battery had discharged; I did not use the Shuffle since I set it up Sunday and it's now Friday.

Having said that:

1>I decided to charge the iPod using a USB-A wall outlet that I use for my phone when I don't need a rapid charge. I plugged the iPod in to the outlet and see solid orange. If all goes well should the light eventually turn solid green?

2>At that point is leaving the iPod plugged in a bad idea?

3>When using the iPod after a charge, should the green light stay on or just flash for a moment? When I tested the iPod last Sunday, I saw the green light for a moment and then the light went off. The audio was playing but I didn't leave it on for an extended time.

Please note, I am Ok if the battery won't hold a full charge due to its age - this is solely for use at the gym and I need max 2 hours at a time.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I was able to set up my "new" Shuffle V4 but have a few charging questions. Unfortunately VoiceOver continues not to work so I'm unable to confirm the charge that way. When I connect the iPod to my laptop (MacBook Air M2) and look at the settings, I see a green battery icon - but when I tried to turn the iPod on this morning I was not hearing any audio. I suspect the battery had discharged; I did not use the Shuffle since I set it up Sunday and it's now Friday.

Having said that:

1>I decided to charge the iPod using a USB-A wall outlet that I use for my phone when I don't need a rapid charge. I plugged the iPod in to the outlet and see solid orange. If all goes well should the light eventually turn solid green?

2>At that point is leaving the iPod plugged in a bad idea?

3>When using the iPod after a charge, should the green light stay on or just flash for a moment? When I tested the iPod last Sunday, I saw the green light for a moment and then the light went off. The audio was playing but I didn't leave it on for an extended time.

Please note, I am Ok if the battery won't hold a full charge due to its age - this is solely for use at the gym and I need max 2 hours at a time.

Thanks!
1. Yes, it should eventually. Usually it takes about 2 hours for a quick charge to 80% and 4 hours for a full 100% charge.

2. It can be left plugged in for a long time without issues, but make sure you discharge it completely at least once in a while, maybe once a month or so.

3. Unless it is being charged, the light only flashes when buttons are being pressed (or after it first turns on). There should have been a paper guide for the lights in the box you bought too.

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
1. Yes, it should eventually. Usually it takes about 2 hours for a quick charge to 80% and 4 hours for a full 100% charge.

2. It can be left plugged in for a long time without issues, but make sure you discharge it completely at least once in a while, maybe once a month or so.

3. Unless it is being charged, the light only flashes when buttons are being pressed (or after it first turns on). There should have been a paper guide for the lights in the box you bought too.
Thanks for the information! I was mainly concerned about 3 - the paper guide isn’t that detailled.

Reactions: Slix

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
The battery is pretty much everything on these. My Shuffle 1 and 2 still work fine but I use them only on airplanes and rarely fly more than once a year. As you can imagine, I do not discharge/charge them once a month, only the day before I get on an airplane.

That said, Apple still services the Shuffle 4. It's hit the Vintage list meaning that they will as parts are still available. Once it hits the Obsolete list, Apple won't touch it but many 3rd party techs will.

iPod products vintage worldwide​

• iPod nano (7th generation, Mid 2015)
  • iPod shuffle (4th generation, Mid 2015)
  • iPod touch (4th generation)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.