Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Denzydenz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
USA
Hi folks,
did anyone tried the Shumuri Slim extra for iPhone SE?
It looks quite good, i want to check what you guys think?
2_e35841d2-08d8-4c03-89a5-f3afa8c194ae.jpg

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
Hi folks,
did anyone tried the Shumuri Slim extra for iPhone SE?
It looks quite good, i want to check what you guys think?
I have it, but the speakers holes and microphone hole at the bottom don't exactly match up, off by a bit. Otherwise I like it.

Also look at Caudabe. They have the same case.

Denzydenz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
USA
I have it, but the speakers holes and microphone hole at the bottom don't exactly match up, off by a bit. Otherwise I like it.

Also look at Caudabe. They have the same case.
I just saw the Caudabe one, it looks like an old model made for the iPhone 5, and it doesn't protect the bottom. The SHUMURI one has a ridge around the camera, it is useless but I'd rather have it :)
And I had a bad experience with Caudabe before, so I think I will give this a try!

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
I just saw the Caudabe one, it looks like an old model made for the iPhone 5, and it doesn't protect the bottom. The SHUMURI one has a ridge around the camera, it is useless but I'd rather have it :)
And I had a bad experience with Caudabe before, so I think I will give this a try!
Caudabe calls this one the Veil XT. Same case, different branding.
Both aren't perfectly lined up anyway. I'll try some no-name brand next.

Denzydenz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
USA
Caudabe calls this one the Veil XT. Same case, different branding.
Both aren't perfectly lined up anyway. I'll try some no-name brand next.
Not sure if both cases are same, but I placed an order and I will post photos later.

Reactions: Nancy bout

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
There are similar cases on ebay for few bucks, probably around 2/3 usd, why do you want to spend around 20 bucks?
You especially pay for the brand image and marketing (website)

Denzydenz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
USA
There are similar cases on ebay for few bucks, probably around 2/3 usd, why do you want to spend around 20 bucks?
You especially pay for the brand image and marketing (website)
I do believe that the quality is better than the ebay one based on my experience with the Shumuri Slim Extra for my iPhone 6 Plus.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Legitimate Question: What's the point of these cases? They detract from the aesthetics of the device but provide no protection whatsoever.

Why not either get a protective case and preserve the phone or sport the iPhone without a case and enjoy its aesthetics.

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
Legitimate Question: What's the point of these cases? They detract from the aesthetics of the device but provide no protection whatsoever.

Why not either get a protective case and preserve the phone or sport the iPhone without a case and enjoy its aesthetics.
For me, these cases are a bit more grippy for the hands than the aluminum of the iPhone, for a change of feel from the bulky SGP armour or the UAG (even though the UAG actually feels slim in the hands, so good design there.)
These thin ones are good for summer too. I change to the bulky ones in the winter.
And the black thin one, I agree with you I don't like the look, but just specifically for days when I want to be discreet with the phone, eg. performances, on stage. Slim so fit in dress pants and don't call for attention.

They actually protect the phone from minor drops. I had a black one split at the seam from a corner after a drop. Phone shows no damage.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Denzydenz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
USA

The point of having this kind of cases is to protect the phone against scratches mainly and minor drops. Since the new smartphone are in aluminium nowadays the smallest scratch can turn your phone to a blade ;)

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016
as per the answer above. they don't detract from the aesthetics. I have a frosted version of a similar type of case. the color of the gold still show's through no problem and you can barely tell its there. its thin enough that it doesnt feel like anything but it has a lot better grip. and like as what was said above. it protects the aluminum from scratches. and they're cheap.

yansun

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
I do believe that the quality is better than the ebay one based on my experience with the Shumuri Slim Extra for my iPhone 6 Plus.
As a former owner of a 20 dollar Shumuri case for an iPhone 6 and of several almost identical 1 dollar cases bought in China I can tell you that is not the case. No difference. The China case I currently use seems to be even better when it comes to long term-quality. The Shumuri one I owned really quick got loose and started to have deformations at the volume button cut-outs, whereas the China one is still in a much better condition after several month of usage and has no deformations in the material at all.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.