Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TemplarKnight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
So I was courtside for the UW-Milwaukee vs. Illinois NCAA Sweet Sixteen game last night covering it for UWM. I was right next to the basket in front of the Illini Band...BLASTING AWAY. The filled to capacity crowd in their orange, and our section in it's black and gold roared at unbelievable volumes upon each basket made. After about 20 minutes, and noticeing that some of the other photogs had iPods on, I figured what better place to put my Shure E3c's to the test, and I was getting a headache anyway. I grabbed my 60GB iPod Photo and my Shure's, stuck em in and...nothing. I heard next to nothing. With the exception of some incredibly "blatty" trumpets, there was nothing but a low and almost unnoticeable rumble coming from the outside. I spent the second half listening to my iPod, and it wasn't even at 75% volume...I love these earphones!

P.S. Pearl and the gang will be back next year...GO PANTHERS!!!

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
they really are amazing headphones. it's a pity that i can't listen to any of the headphones i have bought in the past few years because they just don't cut it anymore.

you should try the foam earpieces. you remove the rubber pieces, put them on, and then scrunch them up, then stick them in your ear and hold them there for 10 seconds until they expand to form a tight fit. it blocks even more noise than the pre-installed earbuds (but they get dirty really fast, but you can order more on the shure website :))

filmmaker2002

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Milwaukee
wide said:
they really are amazing headphones. it's a pity that i can't listen to any of the headphones i have bought in the past few years because they just don't cut it anymore.

you should try the foam earpieces. you remove the rubber pieces, put them on, and then scrunch them up, then stick them in your ear and hold them there for 10 seconds until they expand to form a tight fit. it blocks even more noise than the pre-installed earbuds (but they get dirty really fast, but you can order more on the shure website :))

Yeah I use the yellow foamies exclusively. I have a pack of 20 I ordered from Shure and they really make these phones stand out.

y0zza

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
UK
Indeed, the Shure E3's are great. Sometimes I wish for a little more bass, but this is usually when listening to tracks on my iPod, where the headphone output's impedance isn't matched too well with the E3's.

Driving from a decent headphone amp, they are really excellent. The isolation also protects your ears in noisy environments; the volume doesn't have to be as loud to come through over the background noise.

I usually use the foam tips when listening for prolonged periods, or the tri-flange tips if I need to pop them on and off during listening. They both offer comparable levels of isolation, although the foamies are slightly more comfortable.

nerdykarim

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
atlanta, ga
i got the e2c's a couple days ago, and i fear they might be raising my standards to more expensive headphones, too. its sort of eerie not being able to hear anything around you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.