Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one more

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Greetings!

Is it possible to create a shortcut/widget to shut down our iDevices? I would really like to be able to set it up on my Air 2020, as powering it down currently requires pressing and holding both the power button and the volume up one. If this could be done with a widget or something in the Control Centre, this would be awesome!

Thanks everybody!

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Here is a list of URL callbacks for apples apps. You could see if the shutdown function (in settings) is listed and try to create a shortcut calling that. Good luck!

Reactions: one more

one more

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Here is a list of URL callbacks for apples apps. You could see if the shutdown function (in settings) is listed and try to create a shortcut calling that. Good luck!

Thank you, I found this line in that list that sounds promising, so will give it a try:

General ⇾ Shut Down = prefs:root=General#SHUTDOWN_LABEL

one more

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Type url x callback in the shortcuts search bar- should give you some options to try.

I have tried it, but putting the shortcut into the search window in Shortcuts did not bring anything up. I can get to the Settings section within Shortcuts the usual way (typing Settings in the search), but it does not have the shutting down/power off command there. I have also tried calling a Script, but that did not work either. I am not a programmer, so am stuck. Could you try it on your end if you have a moment? The process should be identical on iOS/iPadOS, I guess. I am just baffled that Apple does not allow us to execute such a simple script. ??‍♂️ For now the only thing I can do to avoid pressing those hardware buttons is going to Settings > General > Shut Down. Not optimal, but works. ?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I have tried it, but putting the shortcut into the search window in Shortcuts did not bring anything up. I can get to the Settings section within Shortcuts the usual way (typing Settings in the search), but it does not have the shutting down/power off command there. I have also tried calling a Script, but that did not work either. I am not a programmer, so am stuck. Could you try it on your end if you have a moment? The process should be identical on iOS/iPadOS, I guess. I am just baffled that Apple does not allow us to execute such a simple script. ??‍♂️ For now the only thing I can do to avoid pressing those hardware buttons is going to Settings > General > Shut Down. Not optimal, but works. ?

Take a look at the pictures. It's a very simple shortcut... it should look like this:

IMG_75CBEF625731-1.jpeg

Anyway, i tried it for you. It jumps to the button, it doesn't activate it. So it basically saves you a little bit of scrolling down the general page but it won't turn the iPad off for you.

one more

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Take a look at the pictures. It's a very simple shortcut... it should look like this:

View attachment 1775374

Anyway, i tried it for you. It jumps to the button, it doesn't activate it. So it basically saves you a little bit of scrolling down the general page but it won't turn the iPad off for you.

Thank you, I have tried your scripts, but all it does for me is it opens the Settings, not even the General section. Well, at least I have learned something new about Shortcuts. ?

All I want it to do is to call up the Shutdown screen, so I can slide the button to turn the device off.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Have you taken a look in the accessibility section of settings? Sometimes there are little hidden gems to enable stuff to happen that doesn’t normally.

Out of interest- why the urgent need to keep powering down the iPad?

one more

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Have you taken a look in the accessibility section of settings? Sometimes there are little hidden gems to enable stuff to happen that doesn’t normally.

Out of interest- why the urgent need to keep powering down the iPad?

I did check the Accessibility, but could not find it there either. Might have another look. (Edit: nothing there, cannot even create a voice command for it).

There is no urgency of powering down, I just prefer using the screen controls as much as I can. For example, on an iPad I prefer changing the volume from the relevant app or the Control Center slider, rather than with physical buttons. Also, like I mentioned, on iPad Air you need to press/hold two buttons at the time.

My belief is that if I turn off my iPad during the night, when it is not used, it refreshes it (RAM clean-up) and increases its longevity (battery not in use at all). Is this incorrect?

If it is not doable, it is fine, I was just expecting it to be simpler, since it is such a basic task. ??‍♂️

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Thank you, I have tried your scripts, but all it does for me is it opens the Settings, not even the General section. Well, at least I have learned something new about Shortcuts. ?
Well, then you did something wrong. ?

481FE700-239B-4428-8183-92BFB73625B9.gif
I

after saving this you can even call it from Siri. You still have to tap once and slide so…

Reactions: nicho

one more

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Well, then you did something wrong. ?

View attachment 1775443 I

after saving this you can even call it from Siri. You still have to tap once and slide so…

This is very strange. I have created exactly the same shortcut as yours, but when I run it, it just opens the Settings (main screen) and does not advance any further.

This is how it looks:

C6CC6BB3-2393-4E37-95E6-832840466E95.jpeg

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
This is very strange. I have created exactly the same shortcut as yours, but when I run it, it just opens the Settings (main screen) and does not advance any further.

This is how it looks:

View attachment 1775448

Looks fine. Go to preferences. Select General. Quit preferences (really quit). Execute short cut from within Short Cuts.

M7AMAD

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
Add “ & ” at the end
So if u wanna go to general do prefs:root=General&
If u wanna go to keyboard settings for example do prefs:root=General&path=Keyboard&
and for the shutdown label do prefs:root=General#SHUTDOWN_LABEL&
But idk how to make it press the shutdown button

Reactions: dylanlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.